The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, apologizes? is that the name of these mounts? :shrug:

Shipping of the mounts to me was lightning fast; thanks Manly. ;)

Installation for me took took longer than expected, that's OK.

a few notes:

1. the instructions supplied with the website were pretty clear and straightforward, except for torque values on the bolts. I don't have a service manual, and I don't know that those values are supplied. No biggie.

2. I have an '08, and I assume everyone else has a heat shield protecting the rear mount. simply removed it to access the rear mount. that wasn't in the instructions. this was my first time dropping the undertray and diffusor, so I didn't know what to expect or see.

3. it helps to have the right extension. deep sockets and particularly an extension to get to the rear mount's forward mounting plate bolts helped. a ratchet wrench helped on the front mount.

4. my 08 doesn't have spacers or bushings for the rear mount's rear mounting bolts holding the mount to the frame. made it easier for me to disassemble/reassemble. a nice surprise. guess it was slightly re-designed.

5. for most of you, this is common sense, but it helps to wipe a very light film of wd40 or the like on the inside of the ears where the mount's inserts need to slide back into. makes it much easier, but many of you probably know that already.

to the chase:

even just starting the car off to shove off the ramps, I could notice a difference at idle. not really bad or worse, but definitely different.

just ripping it up around town, there is a very noticeable increase in throttle response. mash the gas, the car jumps more.

at idle, yes, it's a bit rougher, and you feel it thru the butt, however, it's not objectionable.

Some posters were worried about mirror shake. Surprisingly enough, my rearview shimmied with the stock mounts at idle. With the new mounts, problem solved! no shake or shimmy! My guess is that whatever vibrational node it is just happens to null out or whatever and leave my mirror shakeless. Phew! :nanner:

Took the wife (Frostylocks) for a spin and asked her opinion as to whether she could live with the extra slight vibration. She said yup. We both felt the car launched better.

Brief romps thru town, and our opinion is that our butt-dyno says it has more throttle response; more jump factor. No, we didn't track the car and so forth, but as the title says, this is our first impression.

We are leaving them in and feel like it's a worthwhile improvement with little to sacrifice. If we wanted a cushier ride, we'd have bought a Cayman. rotfl

The only thing that has got me chin-stroking is considering removing the front inserts and leaving the back inserts installed. My concern is that would this put additional stress on the front stock mount? Or, would it not put any additional stress since the motor moves less therefore less stress on the front stock mount anyway? I was thinking of removing the front inserts mainly cause it's easier/quicker to do. It also appears that when the car is under acceleration as shown in the promo video, the motor kicks backward towards the rear of the car. My thought was that by leaving the rear Manly inserts installed instead of removing them would be more beneficial than by leaving the front inserts and removing the rear. Thoughts?

This one mount version may be a good eventual compromise?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Thanks for the writeup :clap:.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
How about some photos and a link to the website. I have a set, but they came sansd instructions of any kind.
Please pm to me if possible.

thanks.

Al B.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Check your motor mounts

First, thanks to Manly for the insert solution and quick shipping.

Install of the front inserts went well, perfect fit.

Removal of the rear bushing and carrier went fine only to find the bushing torn. :wallbang:

Anyone know a source for the bushing or bushing/carrier other than Lotu$? Are these a Toyota part along with the rest of the drivetrain?

·
Anthony
604 Posts
I was thinking of removing the front inserts mainly cause it's easier/quicker to do. It also appears that when the car is under acceleration as shown in the promo video, the motor kicks backward towards the rear of the car. My thought was that by leaving the rear Manly inserts installed instead of removing them would be more beneficial than by leaving the front inserts and removing the rear. Thoughts?

This one mount version may be a good eventual compromise?
Did you remove the front inserts? If so, was there a difference with just the rear mounts installed?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Just purchased a set the other day! Got them about a day later!

Can you give us a general estimate on how long the install took?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just purchased a set the other day! Got them about a day later!

Can you give us a general estimate on how long the install took?
I'm slow but about 2 hours start to finish (on-ramp to off-ramp). Well, if I could have finished without waiting for a new rear bushing.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Do I need to get the diffuser panel to install these? Turns out the two 13 mm bolts are stuck in the crossmember. The rivnuts they are in spin freely so I can't get them out.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Do I need to get the diffuser panel to install these? Turns out the two 13 mm bolts are stuck in the crossmember. The rivnuts they are in spin freely so I can't get them out.
Yes.

These things are great. I'll second everything the OP said.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I just finished installing the rear inserts.

How did you guys manage to fit a torque wrench to torque down the bolts? I was only able to get it on the main 17 mm bolt. The others I just cranked down as tight as I could. I'm pretty sure I turned them tighter than they originally were. Maybe they loosened up over the course of 8k miles.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I assume it is obvious which one goes where. I also assume that the holes are supposed to be off center.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I assume it is obvious which one goes where. I also assume that the holes are supposed to be off center.
Yes, just match up the patterns. The fronts and rears are different. The fronts have a left and a right. Each one has a notch that matches up with a tap on the mount. I think the rears are interchangeable.

Which hole is offcenter? I don't recall any of the holes (mounts or inserts) being offcenter.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
rears are off center. Haven't removed the mount yet. The front mount is in my hand now. Dropped in like a charm.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I just ordered a set. The video on there sight is good advertising and worked like a charm on me!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
+1

I've had them for about a year along with the FF damper and the combo works very well for me.....it is a daily driver..yes I have a little more vibration but the throttle response is much more improve or it feels like it is.......and just maybe it is 1s quicker to 60rotfl

1 - 20 of 37 Posts