The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOTUS NAMED ‘MANUFACTURER OF THE YEAR’ AT PRESTIGIOUS NEWS UK MOTOR AWARDS

• Lotus wins national award, voted for by The Times, Sunday Times, The Sun and Driving.co.uk
  • Lotus commended for “impressive additions to its range and pioneering exciting new product development”
  • Judges commented: “The Evija and Emira are simply sensational… the future is bright”
  • Award collected at London ceremony by Lotus Design Director Russell Carr
Rob Gill on behalf of the judges said:
We are starting to see the first harvest from Geely’s huge investment in Lotus and, wow, the Evija and Emira are simply sensational. The Evija is the perfect blend of art and science, the Emira is a shrink-wrapped supercar, and the transformation of the historic Hethel HQ will warm the heart of every true car fan.
Press release: Lotus named ‘Manufacturer of the Year’ at prestigious News UK Motor Awards - Lotus Cars Media Site
Smile Trousers Photograph Coat Product

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Font Circle Logo Brand Graphics

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
259 Posts
Huh? Did they drive the cars? Is this a legit award or bought and paid for?
Can't speak about these particular awards, but most awards aren't won, they're bought. There's a press company that contacts you and offers an opportunity to buy an award. They get paid, you get to use it for advertising. Win-win and the consumer is non-the-wiser. Similar things happen with celebrities, public figures, etc.

It's the traditional equivalent of buying subscribers/views/etc ;)

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
No different than best Doc etc awards.. Pay to play. Ethics prohibit me from stooping that low.

·
Registered
707 Posts
When you look at what they were awarded for, the award committee is right. Is there any other car manufacturer in the U.K. that's doing what Lotus is doing? When you're able to design a car that sells for well under £100k and have it completely steal the show at a venue like Goodwood, where every super/hyper car in the world is, many costing in the 7 figures... that's impressive. I have a feeling this is only the beginning of the accolades Lotus is going to receive.

·
Registered
707 Posts
And yet... the dark gray car that JButton drove, has been driven by others, getting rave reviews by everyone who's been in it, gets moved all over the world, and seems to be solid with no issues. The very first drivable pre-production car off their new line. I think that's pretty impressive myself, and bodes well for the quality of the actual, final production models. Yes I know their team is going over every inch of it, but that still doesn't change how it's been performing. It looks and sounds great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
remember it sound goods cause the car isn't running the exhaust we are getting , most likely it has on cats or straights only .The FE should come with adjustable coil overs at the price of 94 US.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
259 Posts
remember it sound goods cause the car isn't running the exhaust we are getting , most likely it has on cats or straights only .The FE should come with adjustable coil overs at the price of 94 US.
It sounds good because they've removed the exhaust flap. It's already been confirmed in a video that consumers will have the same sound after 3-4k RPM, but below it, it'll be very quiet. Though nothing a button or a flap delete couldn't cure ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
I can't remember where I read it now, but there's an explanation of the various sounds the car is going to produce depending on rpm and driving mode, whether in touring or sport mode. By default, it starts up in quiet touring mode. You can switch to other settings once it's running, but it always reverts back to the default when you turn the car off. This is probably to meet noise regulations. Sports mode puts it in the louder mode, but even in touring the sound will change once it climbs up I think it was above 4,000 rpm. I'll have to see if I can find that write-up again.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
I can't remember where I read it now, but there's an explanation of the various sounds the car is going to produce depending on rpm and driving mode, whether in touring or sport mode. By default, it starts up in quiet touring mode. You can switch to other settings once it's running, but it always reverts back to the default when you turn the car off. This is probably to meet noise regulations. Sports mode puts it in the louder mode, but even in touring the sound will change once it climbs up I think it was above 4,000 rpm. I'll have to see if I can find that write-up again.
It's in here: Dynamic Performance Management Drive Mode Summary

Basically it sounds like the same EPV that the Evoras use; valve is closed at every start-up, but will open either in Sports/Race mode, or above certain RPMs.

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
338 Posts
Ah yes, the prestigious Sunday Times Driving Motor Awards who, for four years running, have given awards to several auto manufactures across many different categories. Some other 2021 notable award winners:
  • Best designed car of the year. Chosen by an “expert panel” and looking similar to a streamlined version of the chest freezer in my garage, the Hyundai Ioniq 5.
  • City/Small Car of the Year. Also chosen by an expert panel, the little Fiat 500e was chosen as best to be seen in around a city whether running or not- and most likely the latter. Additionally, it plays “La Dolce Vita” to pedestrians as you drive along at low speeds.
  • Dog Friendly Car of the Year. The Mini Clubman wins in achieving their goal of continuously delivering hot canine breath to your ears during your various journeys.
Okay I embellished a bit on the descriptions, but the above cars were some of the selected winners among these award categories.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts