The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is for sale...

'+alt+'

It has been restored and looks really cool. At $175,000 it seems like a bargain compared to a couple of Lotus I saw at Team Lotus a few years ago.

Snagged the photos and put them on Photobucket...

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
ANdretti put that car on pole at Sebring but DNF'd. It later went to George Follmer who was quite successful with it and drove it way more than Mario.

It is actually the lone Type 68 F500 made specifially for the Ford Boss 302.

Here is a write up I did for another site:

Type 68 1969

While FA/F5000 had been around for a few years and plenty of Lotus took part - old F1 and Indy cars converted for that formula - Lotus finally set about producing a car purpose made for F5000. And as if the Lotus numbering system did not already have enough inconsistancies, the labeling of the Type 68 continued the trend. The 68 was the prototype for the yet to be introduced Type 70.

Designed by Martin Wade, it was an aluminum monocoque designed specifically for and powered by a Boss 302 (4945cc) V8 mated to an Hewland LG600 gearbox.

It was sold to Koshland Competition for Mario Andretti to drive. First appearance came at Sebring where Andretti put it on pole and was comfortably in the lead when the engine let go. It was subsequently driven by George Follmer who took it to a number of wins.
And for the subsequent Type 70:

Type 70 1970

Type 70 for some reason was allocated to the subsequent versions of Lotus' F5000 chassis the prototype of which was dubbed Type 68. The general design is the same, the 68 was designed specifically for the BOSS 302, while Lotus intended the 70 to accept the Chevy engine which was more successful, none the less many 70's were fitted with Ford engines. Car were sold to customers in the US, UK, and Australia, the most successful being George Follmer, but names like Dick Smothers (that's right the comedian), Bill Brack, Chris Amon, and Dave Walker drove them. The Type 70 was also refined into 70B form.

Market value for Type 70's is $100k to $125K. THis car because it is a prototype and probably one of the more successful might be worth $150k. The car has been advertised for quite some time and the price has come down approximately $100k during that time.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
kyle should sell his little kent's and get this

:)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
kyle should sell his little kent's and get this

:)

Don't think I hadn't thought about it.

An fellow racer offered to sell me his Type 70 fully prepped and ready to go a few years ago for $90k. It has since been sold. I decided not to get it for several reason.

First I am already going faster than I can afford to and I didn't want to sellt he Formula Ford or Formula 2. Second I decided I wanted an Evora and that car should come in within a few months. ANd FInally I recalled a converstaion I had with Bill Brack (winner of inaugural FAtl and Team Lotus F1 driver/factory supported etc etc etc who drove everything from Mini's to every formula available in North America) while racing (and winning BTW) my F2 car at mosport (my favorite track). Bill replied when I said I really wanted to experience an F1 and perhaps to buy and F5000 that the 70's era F2 and FAtl cars were to him the epitome of a race car. The right balance of mechanical and aero grip with enough power to make acceleration fun and to occassionally power on oversteer, but not so fast as to scare the bejeesus out of you. F1 he said handled exactly the same but since everything occurred at a faster rate the fun factor went down. And F5000 was fun to point and shoot with wads of torque and hp but with a giant heavy lump behind you it mostly wants to turn around when going around a turn. So I still would like to have the experience, but not enough to purchase one.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
ANdretti put that car on pole at Sebring but DNF'd. It later went to George Follmer who was quite successful with it and drove it way more than Mario.

It is actually the lone Type 68 F500 made specifially for the Ford Boss 302.

Here is a write up I did for another site:

And for the subsequent Type 70:

Market value for Type 70's is $100k to $125K. THis car because it is a prototype and probably one of the more successful might be worth $150k. The car has been advertised for quite some time and the price has come down approximately $100k during that time.
so it's basically worth 2 new Exiges. Doesn't look street legal, but i'd chance it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
For those around the Hartford, Conn. area:

The Russian Lady
191 Ann Uccello Street

Tuesday August 28th from 5:30 to 7pm Happy Hour
Jazz on rooftop starts at 7

Lime Rock Park is kicking off the Historic Festival Weekend
On display in the street will be Mario's 1978 Lotus Type 79, 1983 Williams FW08 and other iconic historic F1 cars along with famous racing personalities.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts