The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently live in Maryland and I'm in the process of purchasing an Elise from a private seller in NJ. How would I go about getting temp tags so I can drive the car home? The MVA website doesn't explain that process too well or list which DMV office I need to go to to pick it up. I live near Columbia, Maryland if that helps any.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I currently live in Maryland and I'm in the process of purchasing an Elise from a private seller in NJ. How would I go about getting temp tags so I can drive the car home? The MVA website doesn't explain that process too well or list which DMV office I need to go to to pick it up. I live near Columbia, Maryland if that helps any.
I live in MD as well, not too far from Columbia.

MD has no temporary 'transport' tags available to the public. Dealers can use dealer tags, nothing for you.

Your options:
Have the seller deliver car to you, he takes his tags off and leaves the car in your yard.
You transport the car on a trailer.
You put your tags from another car on the car and hope you don't get stopped. This is what most people do. Drive careful, especially on I95.
You make friends with a dealer to see if you can borrow his dealer tags. Not likely.
Seller lets you take the car with his tags on the promise you'll send them back. Most sellers won't do that. Some do. Most won't.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I bought my Elise from a seller in NJ back in 2010. I went with him to the DMV and got a NJ 20 day tag to put in the car for the ride home. Once in CT, I just drove to the CT DMV a few days later and swapped the NJ 20 day tag for CT plates. Go to this web site for details. It really was an easy process when the seller was with me at the NJ DMV.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Lō-təs111;1767896 said:
I bought my Elise from a seller in NJ back in 2010. I went with him to the DMV and got a NJ 20 day tag to put in the car for the ride home. Once in CT, I just drove to the CT DMV a few days later and swapped the NJ 20 day tag for CT plates. Go to this web site for details. It really was an easy process when the seller was with me at the NJ DMV.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission
That's a pretty neat feature in NJ.

If he can do this and get the car back to MD, he won't however just be able to swap the temp tag for MD plates. In MD he'll have to get the car through Maryland State Inspection and possibly an emission test before he can get it registered and actual plates on the car. Of course, he'd need to do that no matter how he gets it home.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Your options:
[...]
You put your tags from another car on the car and hope you don't get stopped. This is what most people do. Drive careful, especially on I95.
This is the one option I'd strongly recommend against. I forget the exact name (I think it's fraudulent misuse of motor vehicle credentials), but it's a serious crime and an arrestable offense in some states. You're better off driving the car with no tags at all than using the tags from another vehicle. Just keep the title and proof of your insurance on you when driving in case you get pulled over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's very simple. Complete the sale and get the title from the owner. (you can do this via mail, if you wish to save a trip) Maryland will issue a temp tag (Temporary Inspection waiver $20) when you apply for the title and this will give you time to transport the car and get it inspected, so that you can apply for permanent tags.

Don't forget that Maryland now requires a notarized bill of sale, so make sure the owner downloads and fills out the official Maryland form and has it notarized before sending it to you. You can have your half notarized at home.

Some forms you will need:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-005.pdf
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-181.pdf
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-129.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts