The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was suppose to get it tonight for a local car show. Called to arrange the pick up and was told it was sold for 10K over sticker.

All the guys in my local Corvette club are expecting me there in two hours with the Lotus. I can't wait for the crap I'm going to hear from those guys.

I thought the dealers had to sit on the demos for 90 days. :mad:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
so the vaunted matheny is also descending into the muck??

more evidence to show we are

DOOMED PAWNS

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
OMG. where is lotus to crack down on these shady dealers. the demo is supposed to be for us not the dealer.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I showed up in my other car and took **** from everyone in the club. Many Corvette owners are also Lotus fans with the history of the two companies and many Corvette owners there last night wanted to see what the new Elise was like in person. Miata owners like the car because its small and nimble, many from the Miata club were there too.

I had nothing nice to say about the Lotus experience and I was pretty vocal about it to everyone who asked me where the car was.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Joecooool, you're a man of courage and conviction. At least you showed-up at the event and explained the situation instead of simply not-showing and leaving everyone guessing.

I sucks that Matheny sold their demo. I think Lotus is working very hard to ensure that enthusiasts have a chance to drive and own these cars (hence the crack-down on eBay sales of Elises) but maybe they should be enforcing the demo rule as well? It's a pity...

Bob

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Bsed on various reports, it sounds like several dealers are selling their demos prior to the 90-day holding period originally suggested by Lotus. Sounds like this policy will not be rigorously enforced.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
jml1952 said:
Bsed on various reports, it sounds like several dealers are selling their demos prior to the 90-day holding period originally suggested by Lotus. Sounds like this policy will not be rigorously enforced.
it could be that Lotus has communicated to dealers that, since the cars were so delayed in arriving, that the 90 day hold period wouldn't be very strictly enforced.

just speculation on my part

·
Registered
866 Posts
atyclb said:
it could be that Lotus has communicated to dealers that, since the cars were so delayed in arriving, that the 90 day hold period wouldn't be very strictly enforced.

just speculation on my part
Another point, which is true in my case, is that the 90 period was the original plan, back when the cars were supposed to get here in April. That would mean that they would have all be gone by now anyway. I have said it before, there is no real reason to keep a demo around anyway, except for eye candy, and for potential customers. I think that the majority of test drives are joy rides, and while there is definatly a group of people who need to drive the car before they purchase it, I would estimate that most people would take the car no matter what. I am one of the latter. I have driven the Elise a total of 3 or 4 miles. It was enough for me. Decision was made, and it was easy.

I think it is important to remember how long the curent wait list really is, take into consideration the probability of future delays, and remember that the 90 period, if it was instituted at the original time would have expired a while ago.

I think we all need to pressure Lotus for more important things, like more cars, and better transoportation. If we get time, maybe a Supercharger just for kicks;) .

·
Registered
114 Posts
sucks 2 b me

I'm in the 40's at Matheny, been to busy to get down and see this car for the first time in person, in the color I plan to order (told "anytime" for the next 20 orders, two weeks ago). Now they sell it and I'm out a planned trip and coverage for my practice for a long weekend to go see/drive an Elise for the first time?

Thanks Matheny

I know, turn the other cheek, chant while burning more incense, I'm so lucky to just be out $500 to have the honor of waiting for this car and all the BS that goes along with it. Happy, happy, joy, joy. This is so fun and stimulating, I think I'll drop my deposit 4 days before the Elise is delivered to me and get on the list for the next 3 yr. wait exotic to be promised to the herd.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Mean TT said:
I think that the majority of test drives are joy rides, and while there is definatly a group of people who need to drive the car before they purchase it, I would estimate that most people would take the car no matter what.
I'm one of the former. If I hadn't test driven it, I would not have placed a deposit on it. Sure it sounds cool on paper, but after driving a high-hp turbocharged car, I was a little concerned about how fun a normally-aspirated 190 crank hp car would be. I was also concerned about Lotus' reputation for quality and reliability.

Also, Lotus of Atlanta made an effort to reserve the first few days they had their tester in stock for people who had put deposits down on blind faith. That's customer service. :bow:

IMHO, Matheny screwed themselves and their customers.

Jim

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Mean TT said:
Another point, which is true in my case, is that the 90 period was the original plan, back when the cars were supposed to get here in April. That would mean that they would have all be gone by now anyway. I have said it before, there is no real reason to keep a demo around anyway, except for eye candy, and for potential customers. I think that the majority of test drives are joy rides, and while there is definatly a group of people who need to drive the car before they purchase it, I would estimate that most people would take the car no matter what. I am one of the latter. I have driven the Elise a total of 3 or 4 miles. It was enough for me. Decision was made, and it was easy.

I think it is important to remember how long the curent wait list really is, take into consideration the probability of future delays, and remember that the 90 period, if it was instituted at the original time would have expired a while ago.

I think we all need to pressure Lotus for more important things, like more cars, and better transoportation. If we get time, maybe a Supercharger just for kicks;) .
If you are one of the latter then why did you feel the need to joy ride ...err test drive the demo? :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts