The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Matt Farrah drives cars all of the time and it's the first time I've seen him legitimately excited about the car he is driving. Great job Lotus!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
"30% of people who test drive them [a Lotus], buy them."

Great stuff.

Thank you for posting.

always_a_rhythm

Lotus has been touting this fact a lot with this car. It seems they know the problem is not with the cars but getting people in dealerships. Positive reviews like this are what we need! In the meantime, I always let other people drive my Elise (with me in it), and they're always blown away. We need to do everything we can for brand awareness and the rest will come together

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lotus has been touting this fact a lot with this car. It seems they know the problem is not with the cars but getting people in dealerships. Positive reviews like this are what we need! In the meantime, I always let other people drive my Elise (with me in it), and they're always blown away. We need to do everything we can for brand awareness and the rest will come together

My friend gave me his Elise for the weekend and a month later I bought my first Lotus.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Always respected him but still awesome to see that he really gets it. I like when used the phrase "the Lotus ethos". We are the blessed who have these in our lives.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts

Is your Elise boosted or supercharged? When I had a NA Elise my nephew was frightened by the rawness and urgency of the handling which is strange because he had a Mini Cooper-works at the time. He never asked for a
ride again.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Is your Elise boosted or supercharged? When I had a NA Elise my nephew was frightened by the rawness and urgency of the handling which is strange because he had a Mini Cooper-works at the time. He never asked for a
ride again.

It's NA so I should clarify - it is the handling that and responsiveness that gets people. One guy raced sport bikes and walked away with a huge grin despite the power to weight he was used to

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
There has historically been a lot of dealer (does "stealers" sound familiar?) bashing on this website. I always go to a dealer for service, and have bought all my Lotus new, from dealers.

A couple of things have to happen, and of course it's a vicious circle: Lotus has to produce cars people want and they have to advertise more, show up at car shows, etc. Dealers have to make buying a Lotus feel special - some likely do, and for others, it's the ugly sister to "real" cars they sell, where the margins are much better.

We have to recognize that not everyone wants to change their own oil, replace the battery every month to save 2.36 ounces, etc. That kind of thing scares away a lot of potential buyers. And, we have to recognize that Lotus can't be a cult car, or they'll just go broke - again. That doesn't mean giving up on what makes them special, but recognizing that people actually do want cars that shift themselves, that have radios you can hear, and have HVAC with more than two positions (maybe it's just me, but I'm on my third Lotus, and all I've ever had is basically off and on; the temp control is just there for fun, right?).

Yeah, it's cool to have a car that nobody recognizes, but nobody recognizes it at resale, either. There's a reason why cars prices at $98k sell for $68k new, and then sell for $48k a year later, and it's not because they have cool diffusers.

M. Gales, thanks for doing so much to make Lotus a better company and a better car. Please spend a few more bucks on marketing. Send over 20 more cars, so it's not just the people on this board who know there's a new Lotus.

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
I foresee Lotus USA sales rebounding nicely with this car. Would like to see Chris Harris review it, but he's still bitter about not being invited to the press review last summer.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Matt Farrah does great reviews. It should help sales of car I hope. We need to get Jay Leno review the car. That would help alot with sales

·
Registered
228 Posts
Great points Dylan. I'm a Lotus nut. I have owned 4 over the years. However, they have all been 15 years or older when I got them. In other words fully depreciated. They are awesome value. It is just way more acceptable to me to fettle away on the cars and fix this and that when they are 15 - 47 years old than when they are 0-5 years old. This IMO is where Lotus needs to improve. It's a bit shocking the little annoying things that went wrong with the Elise and Evora out of the gate. This is what makes them less appealing to the mainstream and revert to a true enthusiast's car.

·
craigyirush
1,532 Posts
Great points Dylan. I'm a Lotus nut. I have owned 4 over the years. However, they have all been 15 years or older when I got them. In other words fully depreciated. They are awesome value. It is just way more acceptable to me to fettle away on the cars and fix this and that when they are 15 - 47 years old than when they are 0-5 years old. This IMO is where Lotus needs to improve. It's a bit shocking the little annoying things that went wrong with the Elise and Evora out of the gate. This is what makes them less appealing to the mainstream and revert to a true enthusiast's car.
What went wrong with the Elise 'out of the gate' that was 'shocking'?
Anything worse than an IMS/RMS problem from a certain manufacturer with a reputation for reliability?

·
Premium Member
6,190 Posts
I've owned 3 Lotus.
1 Replaced the sandwich gasket on my 2005 after 6 years.....rest was maintenance or mods
2. 2010 Evora After warranty niggles from the overstretched leather...NOTHING!!
3. 2011 Evora S. Minor warranty niggles and needed a steering rack which is a one off issue as its pretty rare. $$it happens but was replaced under warranty. Notice only one true mechanical issue in 3 cars. That's as reliable as damn near anything on the market.:scratchhead: Only cars that have needed less are my 2 Jaguars. Go figure.:UK:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was a happy 350z owner (still am), but one day a buddy of mine got a hold of an Elise...

I drove it once around the block and was sold; and I wasn't even in the market!

It was first in line when the next vehicle purchase was in order.

The Twin Turbo 300zx and Porsche Turbo will have to wait.

If people will just drive the car, the odds of purchase skyrocket.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I drove the 400 more than a month ago here in Princeton when Victory Lotus had one you could drive. Spent 45 minutes taking it over my favorite roads. Totally blown away by the handling, acceleration, braking and road compliance. The new interior is very nice. Lotus got it right on this one. It's serious competition for Porsche. If you can afford it, buy one. You won't be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts