298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Matte black exige crashed on hwy9... extensive damage to the driver side

Hope everyone is OK...

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I do give credit to Lotus, for all their marketing gaffs over the years, for making an art form of the limited/special edition illusion.

So there are only 25 Matte Black final edition Exiges in the world, 20 in the US. There were fewer than 25 Canyon Red 07 Exige S's in the world, making them rarer than the Matt Black editions!

Lotus avoids lack of style updates simply by slapping on a new livery, and putting as standard on a special edition something that's optional on a standard car.

They've done it with Elans, Europas, Esprits, Exige, Elise. Nothing wrong with it, but it is fun to see what special edition they come up with next.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I posted this last week (the day after it happened) on the other forum.

Lotusforsale is right. Actually the Final Editions (both the base and matte versions) were a pretty lame attempt at a special edition anyway. Lotus didn't really do anything unique or better with them.

The standard final edition Exige is nothing more than a 2010 240 with an ECU change and a funny little plaque or the RGB (with the possibility of some other color choices).

Even the Matte versions are all identical. Lotus didn't even try to make the Matte like the Scura (which had some one-off pieces like mesh floor mats, unique carbon fiber seats, accusump) and put a little more effort into it with some gloss stripes. Lotus even downgraded the Matte Final edition's equipment (no accusump, not lighter, has no carbon fiber or unique panels, has one piece brakes, no suspension or sub frame changes, etc).

At least some of the other former special editions have variations, differences (color, options) which makes them more individual and unique. With those, you will have 1 out 20 or 4 out of whatever - which really is where collectibility and speciality come into consideration.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I posted this last week (the day after it happened) on the other forum.

Lotusforsale is right. Actually the Final Editions (both the base and matte versions) were a pretty lame attempt at a special edition anyway. Lotus didn't really do anything unique or better with them.

The standard final edition Exige is nothing more than a 2010 240 with an ECU change and a funny little plaque or the RGB (with the possibility of some other color choices).

Even the Matte versions are all identical. Lotus didn't even try to make the Matte like the Scura (which had some one-off pieces like mesh floor mats, unique carbon fiber seats, accusump) and put a little more effort into it with some gloss stripes. Lotus even downgraded the Matte Final edition's equipment (no accusump, not lighter, has no carbon fiber or unique panels, has one piece brakes, no suspension or sub frame changes, etc).

At least some of the other former special editions have variations, differences (color, options) which makes them more individual and unique. With those, you will have 1 out 20 or 4 out of whatever - which really is where collectibility and speciality come into consideration.
The only "limited edition" Lotus of modern era cars I personally give extra points to is the 20 street edition X180R Esprits. Personally. Even the JPS Europa isn't much more than a black paint job, decals, and gold pin TAPE, not even pin stripes.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The only "limited edition" Lotus of modern era cars I personally give extra points to is the 20 street edition X180R Esprits. Personally. Even the JPS Europa isn't much more than a black paint job, decals, and gold pin TAPE, not even pin stripes.
I am deeply hurt. :(

I needed those extra points.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I am deeply hurt. :(

I needed those extra points.
Don't be bummed, Here you go: ?

I'd like to think all our cars are lil special! :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
sad to hear.

why is this bad news turning into limited edition bashing?...
i am sure somewhere in a parallel internet at a bugatti forum, someone by the screen name BugattiForSale must be bitching about the limitless amounts of bugatti limited editions.

btw matte black paint is cool, (scura is cooler).

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Last summer the Toronto Lotus dealer hosted a rally event which I attended with my wife. The owner of that Exige was also in the rally so I got to see the car up close.

I hope everyone is OK. It is sad to see the Exige damaged like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts