The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Graphite grey, in the process of repair it's in need of paint I was thinking to make the exterior matte graphite what do you guys think? Matte Black looks Amazing but its been done before and becoming overrated! Any one here ever do a Matte Grey paint job curious to see the turn out?

Here is a picture I saw of matte grey Benz!

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
Looks nice to me:up:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i don't kow. GG is pretty hot. I guess if you are tired of it. Too me, it looks like those cars have been primered, and are awaiting paint.
Imagine picking up a friend...
You - "Hey watcha think of the car?
Them - "Looks great man! When's the topcoat going on?

·
Registered
278 Posts
This is a tough one. It looks nice but it's a hard sell for me to give up the reflection of a nice paint job. Plus it could increase the amount of is that a kit car questions too.
Still it would look decent and sharp but I think personally I'd end up regretting it after the initial excitement of the paint job wears off.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
As long as there's plenty of pearl or metal flake in it, it won't look anything like primer. The Mercedes is satin which I think is much better than flat btw.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do Paint and body work! So $$$ is not much of an issue. All labor will be done by me!

This looks very tempting!!!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i saw about 4 matte black cars today. Each one looked horrific; a chalkboard on wheels. unless it comes from the factory, don't know why anyone would mess up their car.

·
Registered
796 Posts
how much weight does it add? I thought about it too, but that was my main issue.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
How much weight does paint add?:thwack:

And modern, matte, flat, satin, semi gloss and gloss finishes are all accomplished in the final clear coat, any color can be done in any finish. Here's my satin white pearl:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I don't care for it.

That Mercedes looks like a drug dealer car and I have a hard time taking anyone seriously in those West Coast Customs/Unique Whips style cars.

Also, I think the size and lines of our cars are wrong for it. The Elige has swooping curves that, to me, lend itself better to paint with shimmer or shine - especially the skittles colors.

I think cars that have sharp angular edges and size look better.

For example, there's a matte black Aventador at the dealership in downtown Chicago. Looks AWESOME. Kinda Batman/Darth Vader.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
how much weight does it add? I thought about it too, but that was my main issue.
Did you really just ask how much weight paint adds?

I'm thinking like 4 oz. Just take a leak to offset it and you are all about the Colin Chapman.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
All the matte wraps I've seen on the street look horrible. They all seem to have slight brown hue to them. The light doesn't seem to reflect the same off of a matte wrap, as is does off of a factory matte paint job.

·
Registered
796 Posts
the matte is basically a plastic fabric. does it really only add 4 oz? i was thinking 5-10lbs for the entire car.

so you have the normal paint on the car, plus a plastic wrap the goes the entire vehicle. that is definitely an added weight -- unless you sand off your current paint job.

if the fabric was saran wrap thickness -- which i believe it is NOT, then 4oz might be correct for the entire car. From what I've seen, its more like a notebook binder plastic cover.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I just looked it up. wrapping a Ferrari 430 added 30-40 lbs of vinyl.

Light Blue Ferrari 430 Scuderia gets Matte Black Treatment | Northwest Auto Salon

"Our vehicle wraps start at 3K and go up from there depending on year make model as well as desired color and any additional details such as the stripes, wheels and mirrors like we did on this car. Total weight added is no more than 30-40lbs of vinyl."

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
the matte is basically a plastic fabric. does it really only add 4 oz? i was thinking 5-10lbs for the entire car.

so you have the normal paint on the car, plus a plastic wrap the goes the entire vehicle. that is definitely an added weight -- unless you sand off your current paint job.

if the fabric was saran wrap thickness -- which i believe it is NOT, then 4oz might be correct for the entire car. From what I've seen, its more like a notebook binder plastic cover.
Even if it's 5 pounds, is that truly going to make a difference?

People seem to go batch*t about weight. Hell, don't wear a belt - that's gotta be 2 pounds. Don't put house keys on your key chain. That's 9 ounces. Keep your tires under inflated. That's less weight.

Sorry, but I think people go overboard on the whole weight thing - especially if the car is for street (which I'm thinking someone doing Matte would).

And if the 5 pounds really matters, take a laxative or eat some curry before the next track day to 'make weight' like we used to do in wrestling :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts