The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/world/international-britain-mosley-ruling.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Well, so to speak, anyway...;)

The short story (with comments from me):

London's High Court on Thursday when a judge ruled his privacy was violated by The News of the World publishing a story about his part in a sado-masochistic orgy. (That's not the only thing that was violated)

Mosley, president of Formula One's governing body and son of Britain's 1930s Fascist leader Oswald Mosley, did not deny taking part in German-themed sex sessions with prostitutes, but said his privacy was violated by the newspaper's reporting.

Justice David Eady sided with Mosley, saying the tabloid Sunday newspaper was not justified in publishing a story and accompanying photographs despite Mosley's public profile.

He awarded Mosley 60,000 pounds in damages. (That ought to at least pay for that session.)

Mosley, 68, brought the case earlier this month, saying the newspaper, which published pictures showing the Formula One boss being spanked by women dressed as prison guards, was responsible for a "gross and indefensible intrusion..." (Max will handle all groos intrusions, thank you very much!)

Tom

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I am no fan of Mosley in his work at the FIA and would have been delighted to see him forced to leave for some other reason but......

I'm glad he won.

I am a strong believer in the "if it doesn't frighten the horses" principle -meaning that what consenting adults get up to in their private lives is fine by me - as long as they don't harm anyone else.

The News of the World (aka "The News of the Screws") is a tawdry rag at best. Owned by Rupert Murdoch it caters to lowest common denominator, prurient interest in sleaze. It will gladly sacrifice truth in the interests of a good story (did I mention it was owned by Rupert Murdoch?).
The current editor has a long history of gross privacy violations and authorising illegal activities. Unfortunately every time he is sacked for "being caught" he seems to find another newspaper willing to give him another job.

He assumed that Mosley (like most of his victims) would want the story to go away - and not subject himself to the embarrassment of a court case. He assumed wrong (He actually underestimated MM's arrogance - which no-one in F1 would do).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I loved this whole story.. When I first read what happend,, I was thinking,, Man I kind of respect him now. If you are going to destroy your public image, do it big a do it with some style. But the image of him in some sort of Hogans heros does porm,,, sort of scared me a little.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
He still needs to quit and take Bernie with him. They've both been around too damn long. Max is wrecking the regs, and Bernie is destroying the history. Be gone, ye old dusty fart bags.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts