The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I am interested in this Elise that just popped up for sale.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=forSaleTab_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d554&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=43040&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=251341546

If you are a buying an elise from a dealer (like the one I listed), do you think it still needs a third party inspection? I just want to make sure I do not get screwed over....

Thanks!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Very nice looking car. The pictures make the car look super clean but I would demand a CarFax at a minimum. I would get a third party inspection for sure. This dealer does not even know what they have.
The following info is false. Additional Information: Intermittent Wipers (nope, slow and fast only),​ Power Steering (Elise never had it), Rear Spoiler (don't see one), Premium Sound System (it is stock)
You should also find out if it has a hard top with all the hardware. They are stating $6755 below market but market probably has a hard top and sport package.
Good luck, it does look promising. Report back to the group what you find!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Very nice looking car. The pictures make the car look super clean but I would demand a CarFax at a minimum. I would get a third party inspection for sure. This dealer does not even know what they have.
The following info is false. Additional Information: Intermittent Wipers (nope, slow and fast only),​ Power Steering (Elise never had it), Rear Spoiler (don't see one), Premium Sound System (it is stock)
You should also find out if it has a hard top with all the hardware. They are stating $6755 below market but market probably has a hard top and sport package.
Good luck, it does look promising. Report back to the group what you find!
I agree. They don't know what they have, or there's something not quite right. My hunch is both. Get it thoroughly inspected.

San

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Looks like a great price if the car is decent. It can have some flaws and I'd still consider that a very good deal. Which makes me a little skeptical. I've bought over a dozen cars sight-unseen and never had one from a dealership be as good as it looked (even after asking detailed questions). For me, it has to be cheap enough that I can plan on some "gotchas" once I get it.
Ideally, you really need to have somebody go look at the car. Personally, I don't think it has to be a shop, though. I was in the classic Corvette world for several years and did an inspection for a guy in Europe who was looking at a '69. He paid a local shop $100 for an inspection and they did all the normal things (turn signal bulb check, measured tire tread depth, measured brake pad thickness, wiper blade condition, etc etc etc). But they completely ignored everything a classic Corvette buyer would care about. Did the vacuum-operated headlights come up quickly and evenly? Was there evidence of reproduction fiberglass or chrome? Were the interior trim pieces all present and correct? How was the padding on the original steering wheel? Etc etc etc. Personally, I'd rather have somebody with a basic knowledge of the car just swing by the dealership, crawl around it for 15 minutes and take a quick test drive. The mechanicals on these cars are simple enough and solid enough that I'd be less concerned about that then hidden cracks in the fiberglass or evidence of mangled aluminum.
All that said, if I was in the market right now, I'd be hunting pretty hard to find somebody to look at that one. I dig the paint scheme and the price is attractive.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The other thing that just poked out at me was the following paragraph.
"Service Work completed on this Lotus Elise includes: Total Value: $467. Complete Multi-Point Inspection by factory trained technicians,​ Oil Filter Change by a Factory Trained Technician Using Original OEM Parts...."
They are not a Lotus dealer so what are their "factory trained technicians" and I bet they did not go to a Lotus dealer to get the parts. The whole paragraph sounds like canned verbiage that they paste into every add. I totally agree with E.Murray, get it looked at by someone that knows these cars, not just a gas station around the corner. Maybe even a Forum Member that lives in the area and is knowledgeable. Is there a Lotus dealer nearby?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have you looked at Gator Motorsports in Indy? That's where I got mine. They have one in stock now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I think is very well priced for a 2 owner, clean titled car. Grab it before it sells. I don't see it lasting that long for that price.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Looks like a great price if the car is decent. It can have some flaws and I'd still consider that a very good deal. Which makes me a little skeptical.
That's my thought as well, as most dealers usually list cars slightly higher than private parties. and even the link says the car is "$6,724 below market". makes ya go hmmmm.
But hopefully it's just priced to sell

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am really looking for one of these in Ohio but it is slim pickings.
The actual listing says this car is in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am really looking for one of these in Ohio but it is slim pickings.
I’m in the Detroit area and considering selling my Elise, but was planning to wait til next spring. Nice car, looks and drives perfect, going to ask about 30-31k. Starlight Black, just in case you’re interested, at least it’s close to Ohio!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts