The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
inside my rear clam on a piece of masking tape stuck behing the wheel arch is a label that says 05-24-04-05 with the word or name "CROFT' underneath it. I know the numbers refer to the fact that my car was completed on May 24,2004, MY 2005. but I'm stumped on the CROFT part. Any one heard that name in relation to Lotus?

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Uh Oh

That's a common Hethel acronym, but it stood for different things:

Monday: Clam Rebuilt Or Fixed Today
Tuesday:Car Returned Over Flat Tire
Wednesday: Clutch Repair Order For Tomorrow
Thursday: Carpet Ripped Or Floor Trashed
Friday: Can't Remember Our F'ing Torques!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Huh that's cool info. I never knew.

Kind of like how those 03-04 Mustang Cobras apparently have "terminator" stamped on some of their parts. It was an internal code name for that car, and a cool one at that!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the code name, they used when developing the Elise.
maybe that explains the instrumentation wires and sensors they left wired into it? Phil found them when he and Andrew were rebuilding the car, wiring harness - unique never seen before, fuel tank unique never seen before, diffuser unique never seen before (and Phil has seen quite a few cars), etc
plus the engineering lab's instrumentation and wiring. I love my car. Thanks Larry, thanks avonnieda.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts

Kind of like how those 03-04 Mustang Cobras apparently have "terminator" stamped on some of their parts. It was an internal code name for that car, and a cool one at that!
Not saying this isn't the case, but I had a 2003 Cobra, about the 400th one made, and I never saw any part labeled "Terminator." Of course, I didn't disassemble it either. Never knew about "Croft," though. Good trivial trivia.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,731 Posts

Sounds about right! One of my customer's is Ford and I work with the 6.7L turbo diesel engine. Their internal nickname was/is "scorpion" for that truck...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
tough to read in the pic - but there it is..." 5-24-04-05 CROFT"
The other "interesting" (not really) thing is that the car's assembly was completed
May 24th, but it got a June build date on the plate that's mounted on the inside door frame. Probably had a weeks worth of paperwork to do, or they were ahead of shedule so stuck the next month's date on there.
If you are anal enough or curious enough to want to know your car's exact completion date, you might find it written in magic marker on the back side of the driver's side access panel. (Brake/clutch fluid change taught me this.)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
You certainly have one of the earlier build dates. Any idea on it’s history, was it sold new to an early buyer or maybe a “press” car? On the dates, wouldn’t be surprised if it spent a week on the line. The first 3 months they were on limited production as they slowly ramped up the line.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
it was definitely sold new to an early buyer, i am the second owner, had 5900 miles on it when I picked it up from him last June. It also "feels" like they spent time on it. The original owner turned over a 2 inch thickfolder of dealer paperwork, window sticker, maintenance receipts etc., including the buy date on a Manhattan Motorcars retail sale certificate form. Since Lotus was gently insisting that dealers hold on to the first car for three months - it lines up well with the timeline. Not sure what this means exactly, but on the "retail certificate of sale" it says Lotus Cars USA purchased the vehicle (I guess fromk Hethel?) on July 30th, 2004. The original owner picked up the car on August 11, 2004. Heres a pic of the underside of my access panel - the 5/25/04 completion date seems to be on top - under it is another earlier date of February 22, 2004- MY 05!! and a third upside down entry which is 22/04 - don't have a clue what that means - but if we examine the stamped calender in the f/g, we see the first 2 months of activity on the car - in the last 2 months of 2003! And we confirm the build or release of the vehicle in May of 2004. This is my guess but I'm sure I'm wrong :) The 22/04 entry means it was the 22nd car built in 2004. It was used for R&D development until it's release for sale in May 2004. By the time Lotus USA got it in July other cars had been released (non R&D) and the next available s/n was 0134. Of course it may mean that the access panel itself was the 22nd access panel produced in 2004. That number might be part specific. It's that 2-22-04-05 date that has me wondering...It may be that the car was actually completed - off the line Feb22, 2004 and used for R&D, QC or whatever until May 25th.
Much ado about nothing, but interesting to try and decode. Phil said he thought it might have been one of Lotus's "pet cars" It was really unique, well sorted, and had no squeaks or rattles. Still is. Except now it's my pet car.

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Komiko-

I can tell you with almost certainty that those sort of calendar marks and the 22/04 are most likely the part-build or PPAP dates and not the number of car. 22/04 would have been April 2004, which was probably when the panel was made ready. Individual 'calendars' on parts are when the parts are manufactured.

Remember, the brits write dates day/month/year not month/day/year like we do.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Komiko-

I can tell you with almost certainty that those sort of calendar marks and the 22/04 are most likely the part-build or PPAP dates and not the number of car. 22/04 would have been April 2004, which was probably when the panel was made ready. Individual 'calendars' on parts are when the parts are manufactured.

Remember, the brits write dates day/month/year not month/day/year like we do.
i get it. Then none of those numbers are dates? what about the 04-05 portions? Sounds like built in '04, MY05, doesn't it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 25-5-04 strikes me as a date. The 5 corresponds too to how many dots there are in the '05 part of the calendar- 5 dots, 5th month.

This could have been a part produced in November 03 and put into service in May 2004.

The other numbers I am not sure of.

The use of the calendar like that, with multiple dots, strikes me as odd though.

I work with several people who were involved with the Federal Elise, I might ask and see if they would remember anything about the early testing process / homologation cars.

With your car being #134, it should not be a federal homologation car or even a test car. For low volume specialty cars, especially those with some expemtions (the kind I work with) the number of homologation cars built is only around 20-25. And usually those cars are never sold to customers, instead being used for marketing purposes, further testing, employee cars, or further crash testing.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
well something is up - one of a kind wiring harness, diffuser, fuel tank, and the instrumentation wiring/sensors/transducers are all part of the car...pre-production parts or "one off" engineering parts.....so i believe you when you say "shouldn't be a test car at number 0134," - but that other number on the access panel - "02-22-04-05" is bothering me also. Build date on the door frame says June 2004. Love to hear if you find out or figure out anything. Thanks.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Schumi -
When in the administrative/ manufacturing process due the VIN's get assigned? I heard there are circumstances where cars get VIN's changed, rolled back to a higher serial number & reassigned, if they need to be reworked - they get a later VIN. Or if the original planned release/completion date is postponed. Is there anything to this? I just wish we had someone from Lotus on the board that was familiar with the production lines/ pre-production parts numbering conventions. I'm going to write Lotus.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts