The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, is the wind noise reduced when you have a hard top? I can hardly hear anything when I'm driving down the interstate with the soft top on and the windows up.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yes - to wind noise
No - to engine noise

Can you talk on your phone? Yes (but you should be concentrating on driving)
Can you have a conversation to the person next to you? Yes
Can you do a long drive and not have a headache? Yes

I use my hard top every day, I drive 50 miles each way to/from work. I likey the hard top.

Dave

·
Registered
317 Posts
Depending on how well it fits, the hardtop can be worse. I don't really notice much difference between the insulated softtop (Touring) and the hardtop, except if the hardtop isn't adjusted correctly, it whistles badly.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
The wind noise, at least in my car, is reduced, albeit only slightly, over the touring pack soft top (which has a "noise insulating" extra layer compared to the standard soft top). I have not been in a car with the standard soft top for comparison.

In reality I can't hear much in the car with either top on, unless I am wearing ear plugs.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Both hard and soft fit well on my car and I can't really hear any difference and neither one leaks. I have the touring soft top that may be thicker? or insulated? not sure now if that's true but mine is insulated and quite nice.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
The hard top is great until it begins bowing in the center. Then, let the whistling begin! My soft top is insulated (part of the touring package) and it blocks wind and noise as well as my hard top...now that the center has popped up a bit. I may do the center support mod.

Tom

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well I only drove my Elise for two days without the hardtop on
Let's just say it was the sunburning that made me put it back on so quickly over some difference in noise

Don't expect any big changes

·
Registered
344 Posts
WHat?!! I Can't Hear you!!!! WHAT?!!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The hard top is great until it begins bowing in the center. Then, let the whistling begin! My soft top is insulated (part of the touring package) and it blocks wind and noise as well as my hard top...now that the center has popped up a bit. I may do the center support mod.

Tom
My hardtop wasn't whistling yet, but was starting to bow up ever so slightly. I was more concerned about the front, so I bought some 1.25" wide and 0.25" thick "Super Firm Sponge Tape - closed cell" (came as a 30' roll) from Ace hardware and put a long strip of it on the backside of the removable header trim piece. It now contacts the windshield frame better and does a good job of "pulling down" the center of the hardtop.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

Tom
Your hardtop bows because the headliner finisher piece is not attached.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts