The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I popped off my speaker covers and found out I have Mb quart speakers up front and Pioneer type s speakers in back.

Witht the balance equal the front play little sound and pop and crackle horribly. The rear however, sound great, usually I fade almost completely to the rear. I thought the fronts were supposed to outperform the back?

Does this sound like a blown speaker problem? Is it normal? I just wanna buy new speakers for the front unless that won't fix it.

Thanks Lotus experts!

Ps I hate my phone's auto correct...Mbeki???

·
Registered
514 Posts
I thought the fronts were supposed to outperform the back?
Brakes yes, speakers not necessarily. Car audio guys want a "font stage" and sometimes won't put any rear speakers in at all, but that's because the front speakers really kick ass... They're high power components and placed perfectly for a driver's ear. Sometimes rear speakers are used for "rear fill" but I haven't been in the car audio game for a while so I'm sure someone else would have more info on that.

In our cars, the stock fronts are smaller than the rears and for that reason won't outperform them.

Sounds like you're saying you have 5 1/4" in the front? What size in the rear? MB Quartz are generally on the higher end of speakers and I would think should outperform Pioneers if they're both the same size.

I have a problem with my fronts buzzing and making noise without even playing high bass levels. I'm wondering if the direct exposure to sun/heat ruin the front speakers quicker?

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
I have a problem with my fronts buzzing and making noise without even playing high bass levels. I'm wondering if the direct exposure to sun/heat ruin the front speakers quicker?
My speaker grill popped off the other day and I cannot get it to reseat. I even removed the speaker surround to see if I could do it out of the car, no dice. It is clear from the cracking and brittleness of the plastic that it has deteriorated quite a bit. I suspect you are right about the front dash location.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brakes yes, speakers not necessarily. Car audio guys want a "font stage" and sometimes won't put any rear speakers in at all, but that's because the front speakers really kick ass... They're high power components and placed perfectly for a driver's ear. Sometimes rear speakers are used for "rear fill" but I haven't been in the car audio game for a while so I'm sure someone else would have more info on that.

In our cars, the stock fronts are smaller than the rears and for that reason won't outperform them.

Sounds like you're saying you have 5 1/4" in the front? What size in the rear? MB Quartz are generally on the higher end of speakers and I would think should outperform Pioneers if they're both the same size.

Yes I've got mb quartz up front in 5 1/4". The rear are the same size of 5 1/4", but are pioneer type S speakers. The rear sound clear and crisp, but the fronts are garbage! I thought that MB was a top brand as well, or at least priced so.

I adjusted the hz on my deck and it helped ever so slightly.

I figured it would be decent since I have a pioneer avic z140bh double din in there. lots of people reported great changes with their blaupunkt decks, why can't I feel the same?! haha I have no bass either and the fronts just snap crackle and pop...

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would it make sense to swap the rear and front speakers to see if the MB quarts are in fact the problem? If the pioneers still work great up front then replace the MB, and if they don't then I need to trouble shoot more.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
would it make sense to swap the rear and front speakers to see if the MB quarts are in fact the problem? If the pioneers still work great up front then replace the MB, and if they don't then I need to trouble shoot more.
Yes. That's makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So....it turns out that I didn't have 5.25" speakers in the back....they're 6.5" haha.

Anyways I picked up some Kicker 40CS54 5-¼" 2-way Car Speakers

and, they sound AMAZING in combination with the big Pioneer speakers in the back.

I can blast the music with no static, decent bass and great clarity!

I think the addition of my little self powered sub is going to make this a nice little sound system. I'm just fearing dismantling the inside of my car.

I highly recommend the $59 speakers. great addition to any Lotus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts