The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
This is a great read, but i'm not convinced by the author's conclusion.

The thought of driving a "nuclear-powered intergalactic Elise" has me :drool:ing for an F1.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Awesome article! Thanks for posting. I would chop my toes and fingers off an crawl naked across the salt flats for a week for the opportunity to have my foot ran over by either of those cars!
They are both so amazing, not only for their time, but still today. I can't believe the Ferrari did that on 2.9 liters. I still love the Jag XJ220 as well and it's amazing it only had 6 cylinders.

I love that they compare the handling of these world class supercars to our Elise!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, yeah, I forgot the Elise mention :D

It's amazing to me how even after concluding that the Mclaren was by far the better car, they still preferred the Ferrari.

In this case, you know it isn't simply the badge disillusioning the testers, because Mclaren carries a pretty nice badge as well.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I also don't understand many peoples obsession with the F40. I don't find it to be very attractive (actually slightly dated) and the only driving aspect that anyone ever raves about is the steering? Seems odd to me. 1,311 cars also makes it far more attainable to the public than the pure unobtainium of the F1 and it's 60something road going cars. Even now, if you buy a McLaren F1, they bring you and the car to the factory in England and fit mold the drivers seat and paint it whatever color you want... that's much cooler to me than buying something that 1,310 have, knowing that they are almost all virtually identical. Call me weird...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I also don't understand many peoples obsession with the F40.
First car to do 200 mph
last car built under Enzo
Last twin turbo ferrari
Last stripped down Ferrari (plastic windshield, no door handles, carpets, windows, etc... makes the the Scuderia and CS look like luxury cars)
First CF ferrari (possibly first car?)

And most importantly I had a poster on one on my bedroom wall as I was growing up :D

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
It's amazing to me how even after concluding that the Mclaren was by far the better car, they still preferred the Ferrari.
Well it's sort of like comparing say... the GT-R to an Elise. Obviously the GT-R is much faster, but it is not necessarily more enjoyable or challenging to drive

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I'm going on a garage tour next month where the guy has an F40, F50 and an Enzo. No McLaren, sadly. Still, I'll ask for the keys (no way in hell) so I can can provide feedback on the F-car side.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'm sure the F40 is a wonderful ride, but I'd MUCH rather have the F1. I think it is sooooooo much more beautiful.

xtn

·
Registered
459 Posts
Although I'm a sucker for the looks of the F40, the sound of the BMW V12 in the F1 wins my heart. Darn, looks like I'll need to get both. :D

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
i have this article. It was a feature of one of the UK magazines. EVO or CAR i think.

2 of my favorite cars. :D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The part about Ron Dennis crashing, Gerhard Berger was the passenger, Gerhard (apparently smiling) asked Ron if he already had an excuse for the pit crew right after getting out of the crashed car.

Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts