The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Like an orange pile of cocaine, the newest speed catalyst from supercar manufacturer McLaren has just been released: the P1.

Set to unseat current icons like the Bugatti Veyron, McLaren’s successor to the legendary F1 is rumored to cost £800,000 and will get its in-person debut later this month during the Paris Motor Show. Specific details about the car are still unconfirmed, but the automaker says it has one goal for the wheeled weapon; being the best driver’s car in the world on both the street and track.

“Our aim is not necessarily to be the fastest in absolute top speed but to be the quickest and most rewarding series production road car on a circuit,” McLaren Automotive managing director Antony Sheriff said. “It is the true test of a supercar’s all round ability and a much more important technical statement. Our goal is to make the McLaren P1 the most exciting, most capable, most technologically advanced and most dynamically accomplished supercar ever made.”

Despite power specifications not being available, it’s already known that the car will harbor the same 3.8-liter V8 as it’s lesser 12C cousin, though with much more power. All that remains to be seen now is how it will actually stack up to other wildly priced supercars. Rumors suggest the car will offer 960 hp.

“The McLaren P1 will be the result of 50 years of racing and road car heritage,” McLaren Automotive executive chairman Ron Dennis said. ”Twenty years ago we raised the supercar performance bar with the McLaren F1 and our goal with the McLaren P1 is to redefine it once again.”
See more McLaren P1 photos at AutoGuide.com

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
wow looks pretty light
awesome

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Very cool. I see elements of the MP4, perhaps a little 458, maybe some Koenissegg CCX (sides) and even some Zonda with what looks like a very 'cab forward' design.

The key is that it MUST have a central driving/triangular seat configuration ala the F1.

I does however remind me a bit of the Vision SZR kit/supercar I saw milling around Pebble Beach last year.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Honestly, it reminds me of the Exige.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Its not blowing me away like the original, but its hard to outdo the original so...

·
Registered
579 Posts
I like it, those mclaren logo shaped headlights are awesome. Not too crazy about the funky door cutouts. Might look better painted the same color. Also, it will not have the 1+2 seating configuration. I've heard rumors that the tagrets are 2700lbs with 1000hp.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
It certainly looks more like a true hyper-car than the MP4-12c.

the MP4-12c is a fine auto (one of which is parked at my offices today)
But after looking at it awhile, it definitely seems a bit like McLaren's version of the Evora, it has a friendly, more conservative less aggressive/soft-ness about it compared to the original F1's raw-90's flavor.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
But after looking at it awhile, it definitely seems a bit like McLaren's version of the Evora, it has a friendly, more conservative less aggressive/soft-ness about it compared to the original F1's raw-90's flavor.
I'd have to agree with you there. Although I'm not entirely sold. While it's very organic looking, almost spacey, the cleft-lip front end bothers me a bit. Maybe I'll warm up to it, but right now, it's a "butterface"

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
This is what the new Exige should have looked like; I've always thought the old Exige's design is very derivative of the F1.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Its not blowing me away like the original, but its hard to outdo the original so...
+1 to Agent One's response. The original just had me drooling, but sadly, I look at this one and it just seems to have some contraversial lines/curves in it.

To me it looks like it can't make up its mind if it wants to be an edgy car, or a round one. I have the same impression every time I look at the New Hyundai's. I feel like they want to be curvy, but at the same time they want straight edgy lines. To much controversy and not enough fluidity in design...but that is just my opinion.

However I am still excited to see what it will do compared to other cars...however as others' have said, I will never own one, but would love to see one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts