The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

MD Emissions Stations

4K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  foosh 
#1 ·
Did a search and didn't see a thread about this.

How do you deal with the Maryland emission stations when you need to get your emission levels checked out? I think every lane has a drum that the cars have to drive over... is there any worry about the emissions guy driving and cracking the clamshell while going over the drum?

#2 ·
If they have any concern that you're car won't clear, they will generally just give you a two year waiver. I know lots of guys with tuner cars that just put chopped springs in once every two years to avoid having to do treadmill or OBD test.

#3 ·
I went for a test at the one off Redland Road. When they saw me get in line, they waived me around, and had me fill out a waiver. They said it was too low, and would hit the drum. They didn't do any checks, no visual, no OBD code scan, etc. It was pretty fast and painless.

They still took my money.

-Andy

#5 ·
I took mine to the Annapolis station on General's HWY. The left most bay does not have rollers. I pulled up and the girl had me get out of the car and wait in the little glass box. I asked if she wanted me to pull the car up to the other end of the bay where they hook up to the OBD port; for which she said no that they "had" to do that. A few minutes later a guy who was no less than 300 pounds walks up to move the car in the bay. After about 2 seconds he motioned me over and asked if I would move the car. (For a quick second I actually wanted to see him attempt to get in the car) Once at the computer terminal he asked me to again wait in the glass box. (For my safety I am sure) I then watched for about 10 minutes as he and his buddies looked for the port on the car. Long story short I had to hook up the cable for them so they could test the car.

#10 ·
If a car is purchased in California, does the ECU need to be reprogrammed if you live in another state? Reason being their gas blends are different and pollution standards are greater.:shrug:
Their pollutions standards are more stringent, so any car that is a Cali-car should be 50 states compliant. Only run into issues taking an out of state car into Cali, I'm fairly certain. You should be just fine.

#11 ·
I went to the emissions in Westminster - they told me all they had were the dynos/rollers so they didn't have me go - I just signed the emisions sheet. He told me if they get the computer system they will run the test, don't know if there will be a roller free lane. BTW he said another black lotus had been there earlier in the day - no idea who.

#13 ·
Last time I went with my blown mustang, they told me to pull up and I said my car was too low for the rollers. Two people looked under the car, then told me to pull around to the parking lot and go inside. Neither of them noticed I didn't have any cats... I got a 2 year waiver and no fee. It would have passed the OBDII test because the O2 sensors were turned off in the tune, but definitely wouldn't have passed the sniffer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.