The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got pulled over for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON AT ALL! :mad: ...Well, okay - no front license plate. I was being absolutely ANGELIC, in traffic - maybe even only 1mph +/- on either side of the speed limit with other cars SPEEDING by me - unsafe lane changes taking place, etc. - You name it. Saw the trooper swing a U-ey in the median, and thought to myself: "Good, he's gonna get/take care of some of these idiots" :clap: Right? ...WRONG! :eek: ...Instead, he weaves his way in behind ME - and after we sit at a light that way for a few moments and the signal turns green, he LIGHT ME UP!! :panic:

I signal and pull over immediately. Half expected to see him just go by - maybe looking to just get me out of his way. Nope. Wrong again! So I shut the car off, and put both my hands in clear view on the steering wheel ...just like I've heard from all those cop shows on TV, they SHOULD appreciate/help make them feel more comfortable, and when he gets to my window I try to be as genuinely pleasant as I possibly can be, but NO.... It's clear, this trooper has got a chip on his shoulder, and yes... He's a HATER!

"Trooper so-n-so, I've pulled you over for having no front plate"...
Me: "Really"? I must have.....
Trooper: Just shut up and give me license and registration, you do have license and registration, right?
Me: "Yes, - do you mind if I remove my harnesses to get them for you?"
Trooper: "Slowly"
Me: :huh:

Okay, he's had a bad day, or he's looking for someone dangerous and is being cautious is all or something - fine, no worries. I truly do respect (most) officers and the job(s) they have to do. I comply with no further discussion or questions. Figure he'll go back to his car, run my reg & lic - see I've got absolutely NO POINTS or tickets, or wants or warrants, etc., etc., - then he'll be back with maybe a "fix-it warning" or something at worst.

So we wait (my 15 yr old son in the passenger seat is with me) while he does his thing, until he returns. ...SAME UGLY TONE :eek:

Trooper: "I'm Citing you under Maryland Code, blah-blah-blah..."
Me: "Really, c'mon now.... (more incredulous than "complaintive")
Trooper: (Brashly interrupting again) "Hey, this is an ARRESTABLE offense - just tell me you don't want to sign the ticket...."
Me: "No, I'll sign - I understand it is only an acknowledgement of reciept, and not an admission of guilt".
Trooper: Again, brashly interrupting.... "Tell it to the judge - all I do is enforce the laws of the state of Maryland - maybe the judge will give you a break, that's not my job - my job is to bust you law breakers ...you gonna sign, or are we moving to arrest?

Me: (Tempted to say something snide about how I'm sure THAT would get him trooper of the year, and/or top respect/honors amongst his barack peers - hauling in for hard arrest, the hardened criminal non-front license-plater, but I resist)... "No, no problem - I truly am not trying to give you a hard time, I understand - I said I would sign I'm not arguing ...I just thought heck, if you even looked at my front...."

Trooper: "Here's a brochure" (throwing some "happy" MD State Police - "serving YOU" brochure in my lap):thwack: and walks away.

$60 CRIMINAL (moving violation) CITATION! -eek-:(:mad:

:wallbang:

·
Registered
79 Posts
60 bucks "good looking car" tax. Pay it and move on.

As for the cop - he sounds like a jerk. Hopefully karma comes back for him.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
How the heck can a fix-it ticket be an arrestable offense??

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Sorry for your experience. That guy had something else $7!tty going on in his life, and still does. Let's be thankful that we are not him.
Oh, and sorry you live in one of the states with an idiotic front plate law. What's the deal with that anyway? Are you going to run from the law backwards?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
He has a little dick, I would have laughed in his face and called him an ******* while signing it.

"You should try midol for these heavy days"

Something to that affect. Good luck

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Based on the other threads, I would think he must have been talking to the state troopers on the Jersey Turnpike.

The local Ferrari Club meets once a month for coffee and last month people decide to go for a ride along the beach. Within a few minutes, four police cars were following us. I was the last car in the line and saw that 2 pulled out of a parking lot and started following us, but I didnt know that two other cars were following cars in the front of the pack.

I kept going straight along the beach, but other people took the exit to I95 to go back home and they said that there were more 5 police cars parked along the road by the entrance ramp.

Back in January about 50 cars drove from Miami to West Palm for an exotic car event, and some of the guys were driving really fast (over 170 mph), so other motorists called *FHP on their cellphones to complain. The only problem is that the cops were only able to mobilize a few cars to try and pull people over and about 40 cars buzzed by them and didnt bother stopping, so I think the local State Troopers around here are out to get anyone driving an exotic.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How the heck can a fix-it ticket be an arrestable offense??
He didn't give me a fix-it ticket at all... that's just the point. He gave me a full-blown criminal (motor vehicle moving violation) CITATION. I have now either the choice to plead guilty, pay the fine - have it put on my RECORD (including 2 "points"), or go to court. This guy was just fricken' UNBELEIVABLE from the word go. Jumpstreet, or whatever. :(

Maybe his bi-atch just left him for a guy who drives another Lotus out here or something, and he just happened upon me - to take it out on me or somethin' :shrug: I dunno. But I SWEAR - I was as pleasant as could be (and without being "sickly so" - trust me, I know the difference) - but this guy had it HARD for me before we even started. I had no chance with this one at all! :mad:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
one quick question;
before today, did you know it was against the law not to have a front license plate on the car in MD.?

·
Registered
38 Posts
In WA it's a $124 ticket. Ask me how I know. :(

There are times when this is appropriate :D

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
one quick question;
before today, did you know it was against the law not to have a front license plate on the car in MD.?
And your point would be, if my answer was yes?
Maryland issues 2 plates, one for front, and one for rear - the only one you put expiration stickers on. Most cars I see on the road, do display both. I have front plates on both my other 2 cars as well, but both of those have very clear, provided for, structure for it. Do I *KNOW* whether it is "against the law" or not? Honestly, no - I don't KNOW that, or what specifically, the law is. What does "against the law" mean? An RMV code or "requirement"? Maryland State Annotaded (criminal) Code? Actually, and honestly, no - I don't know. I have no idea right now, which sections, rules, codes, or even laws (or what-have-you) control. This trooper, supposedly anyway (the way he made it sound) has for this "offense", CRIMINALLY CITED me though. So you bet I am going to learn.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I grabbed a bite at the Panera in Laurel, MD this evening. As I pulled into a spot right up front, I saw four AA County police cars parked side by side...they were all meeting for pre or post shift dinner, I suppose.

Saw them sitting together as I got my meal. They all walked out as a group (5 total, two were in one car), they saw my car and stood around and looked it over. I had no front tag.

Didn't seem as if they noticed it, they were looking under the back to see what the diffuser was all about, and to see where the exhaust was. Looking inside (through the illegally tinted windows, I might add), and curiously looking at the horizontal radiator. Could tell they were just having some fun talking about it.

They all climbed in their cruisers and rode off.

You got a guy having a bad day, Grant.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Wow, what an ashwhole cop you encountered.

How the F can a "no front plate" violation be a criminal offense and a point on your license???? In CA it is a "fix it" ticket and any violation that doesn't contribute to the primary collision factor would not count as a point against your license (at least that's my understanding).

He threatened to arrest you in front of your kid because you paused before signing. Wow. This guy must be a miserable prickk. "My job is to bust you lawbreakers!" HA! What an idiot!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...You got a guy having a bad day, Grant.
Yeah, that's what I figure too. It's just too bad that when I have a bad day, the worst I can possibly do is kick the cat (J/K - and speaking metaphorically before all you PETA types now wanna jump on me!), but these bozo's with a badge & a gun can go on a "power trip", and ruin another guys day, who OTHERWISE was being truly angelically good!! I can only imagine if I only gave him even the least of back-talk what he may done. ...Arrest me? (he was dead serious). Really? ...Tow my car - maybe be sure it (and even me) gets also thoroughly "man-handled" during the entire process as well?

It's just a good thing he didn't pop my trunk and find that stolen blanket in it, I've been harboring in there, what, for weeks now too! ;) Instead of typing here, I'd already be doing hard-time with someone named bubba eyeing up my yuppy-looking arse for his latest conquest this very moment & everything, for sure! -eek-

·
Banned
874 Posts
sucks dude:(

·
Registered
93 Posts
By chance did you get his business card while he was citing you? Law Enforcement in CA issues a business card to most officers. I am not sure if your state has them but I am fairly sure CA does, as I have a few in my collection.....

Anyway, if not, his name and badge number will be on your citation. If I were you, I would detail out the encounter as you have done here, and mail it off to the local DA or IA (Internal Affairs) for his department and inform them that the troopers actions were not appropriate, and that it caused undue duress to your son who afterwards was traumatized by a police officer threatening to arrest his father for lack of a front plate....(I had an officer I KNOW who had this exact thing happen to him, and he was passed over for promotion due to the complaint...)

Beefing him will pay him back in spades, as I will almost bet my life he will get his commanding officer pissing down his leg while IA investigates any other misdeeds or complaints.....They may even pull him off patrol, and place him at a desk for a few weeks while they look into this incident.....

(Nothing pisses a Trooper off quicker than to take his car and gun away for a few days and make him sit at a desk, and polish his ass....)

Mind you, you may want to get a front plate attached PDQ afterwards, as if he ever pulls you over again, he may shoot you for an unlicensed concealed ham sandwich, or being ugly in a non ugly zone......

I don't mind doing the time if I do the crime...(I don't run a front plate myself, and enjoy driving my Lotus, just like everyone else, so if I get pinched doing stupid in a non stupid zone, I own up to it, and write it off to experience and not paying closer attention etc...but, what this guy did was NOT acceptable, and is NOT how you treat people...unless they are a pedophile with priors.....then, well......**** happens....

·
Registered
429 Posts
And your point would be, if my answer was yes?
Maryland issues 2 plates, one for front, and one for rear - the only one you put expiration stickers on. Most cars I see on the road, do display both. I have front plates on both my other 2 cars as well, but both of those have very clear, provided for, structure for it. Do I *KNOW* whether it is "against the law" or not? Honestly, no - I don't KNOW that, or what specifically, the law is. What does "against the law" mean? An RMV code or "requirement"? Maryland State Annotaded (criminal) Code? Actually, and honestly, no - I don't know. I have no idea right now, which sections, rules, codes, or even laws (or what-have-you) control. This trooper, supposedly anyway (the way he made it sound) has for this "offense", CRIMINALLY CITED me though. So you bet I am going to learn.
Wow - this must be the longest " yes or no " question responce I have ever read in my life on the net. :thwack:

·
Registered
429 Posts
By chance did you get his business card while he was citing you? Law Enforcement in CA issues a business card to most officers. I am not sure if your state has them but I am fairly sure CA does, as I have a few in my collection.....

Anyway, if not, his name and badge number will be on your citation. If I were you, I would detail out the encounter as you have done here, and mail it off to the local DA or IA (Internal Affairs) for his department and inform them that the troopers actions were not appropriate, and that it caused undue duress to your son who afterwards was traumatized by a police officer threatening to arrest his father for lack of a front plate....(I had an officer I KNOW who had this exact thing happen to him, and he was passed over for promotion due to the complaint...)

Beefing him will pay him back in spades, as I will almost bet my life he will get his commanding officer pissing down his leg while IA investigates any other misdeeds or complaints.....They may even pull him off patrol, and place him at a desk for a few weeks while they look into this incident.....

(Nothing pisses a Trooper off quicker than to take his car and gun away for a few days and make him sit at a desk, and polish his ass....)

Mind you, you may want to get a front plate attached PDQ afterwards, as if he ever pulls you over again, he may shoot you for an unlicensed concealed ham sandwich, or being ugly in a non ugly zone......

I don't mind doing the time if I do the crime...(I don't run a front plate myself, and enjoy driving my Lotus, just like everyone else, so if I get pinched doing stupid in a non stupid zone, I own up to it, and write it off to experience and not paying closer attention etc...but, what this guy did was NOT acceptable, and is NOT how you treat people...unless they are a pedophile with priors.....then, well......**** happens....
You collect cop business card ? Now thats a hobby..........-eek-

1 - 20 of 88 Posts