The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let's see - bought the car on July 13th. have put down 800 miles on the track -700 on the street. Changed motormounts, rtd brace, brakes, suspension is dialed in and now.....after my girl did some laps & got out of the car last night I pulled out of the pit in first dumped it into second and hit it - took a good two seconds to match up - everyone thought I missed a shift - clearly time for a Sector light weight flywheel and ceramic clutch - corded the rears - stock Yokos - time for big boy tires too - maybe an oil pan...
getting ready for two days at Sebring - my girl running it in green and me in blue - thank god for Toyota! this would have been 7k in consumables in six weeks with Porsche.....

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Does your car have launch control? If so, you have a clutch delay valve... which would have led to delayed engagement when you dumped it into second. You might not need a clutch, just a clutch delay valve delete...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Haha Yea the rears go fast!
Wish i could have made it out there
next time for sure!

I've Also got an extra moroso pan if your
intrested...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your car have launch control? If so, you have a clutch delay valve... which would have led to delayed engagement when you dumped it into second. You might not need a clutch, just a clutch delay valve delete...
interesting - what would account for the smell of fried clutch? it seemed fine once it cooled down - i will endeavor to look into how to do a delay valve delete... any ideas? I am going to send your response to my rocket scientist - though I think he ordered a 6 puck ceramic and lightweight flywheel today.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha Yea the rears go fast!
Wish i could have made it out there
next time for sure!

I've Also got an extra moroso pan if your
intrested...
I want to talk to you about your pan! shoot me a price. you can come out with me next Friday - gotta drag our friend though. saw him yesterday - does he still have a license?
yes - the rears go fast! corded right down the center on the drivers side - time to start a diet

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
interesting - what would account for the smell of fried clutch? it seemed fine once it cooled down - i will endeavor to look into how to do a delay valve delete... any ideas? I am going to send your response to my rocket scientist - though I think he ordered a 6 puck ceramic and lightweight flywheel today.
Yes, it would have the same effect as if you slipped the clutch too much while changing gears. My car is an '07... so no delay valve. I don't know if anyone has deleted theirs yet... :shrug:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it would have the same effect as if you slipped the clutch too much while changing gears. My car is an '07... so no delay valve. I don't know if anyone has deleted theirs yet... :shrug:
humm - wonder if I change the clutch & flywheel whether that condition could still exist - I wouldnt hesitate to delete the valve - if it can be done -
I cant think of any practical application for launch control - I mean lets get real here its not a 560 hp Bull - its a Toyota! but its my Toyota and I love it.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
humm - wonder if I change the clutch & flywheel whether that condition could still exist - I wouldnt hesitate to delete the valve - if it can be done -
I cant think of any practical application for launch control - I mean lets get real here its not a 560 hp Bull - its a Toyota! but its my Toyota and I love it.
Yes, I think it would still be a problem... it effectively slows the engagement of the clutch. Do a google search for "clutch delay valve"... it's been used on other cars as well...

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
the other thought in regards to your clutch is a broken pressure plate or clutch. I am not sure which clutch they put in the S240 but I know of many stock pressure plates that have broken(mine included) and some of the TRD clutches that have broken as well. I'm guessing they put the TRD in the S240, at least I hope so. Just a thought. But the delay valve is also very likely.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the other thought in regards to your clutch is a broken pressure plate or clutch. I am not sure which clutch they put in the S240 but I know of many stock pressure plates that have broken(mine included) and some of the TRD clutches that have broken as well. I'm guessing they put the TRD in the S240, at least I hope so. Just a thought. But the delay valve is also very likely.
thanks for the input! I am going to do a little research and we look carefully at what we have got when Carlos gets it pulled apart. If we can delete the valve while installing the new flywheel & clutch we will - probably worth a call to Sector111 in the process - and I will post the results for you guys.
Getting the car ready for two drivers - two days at Sebring - I am sure I will have a whole new list of toasted consumables after that!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Googled around a little and here is what I found so far:

Theory of Operation - What is a CDV?

The Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is a one-way restrictor installed by the factory between the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder. It "delays" the engagement of the clutch, much like old record players used a damped tone-arm to gently lower the needle onto the surface of a record.

Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch at high RPM. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite 20 years of practice, cannot shift gears smoothly. During parallel parking maneuvers, the delay can be infuriating, causing constant clutch slippage. And during hard acceleration, the large amount of clutch slippage can greatly shorten the life of your clutch. During normal, sedate driving, the shift from first into second gear is often jerky, leading passengers to question your skill. As the driver, you can see your passengers' heads bobbing back and forth during every shift! Yes, in their minds, they are laughing at you.
Benefits of replacing your CDV with a modified unit

After the stock CDV is replaced with the modified units, you will be able to shift gears just like a "normal" car. No more vague, inconsistent clutch engagement. No more jerky 1-2 shifts. You can actually chirp the tires when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear! Parallel parking becomes a breeze and your clutch will love you for it and last much longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts