The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some referrals for a mechanic for 2017 Evora 400. Star Motor Cars has screwed me again....I told myself it would happen but I was too sucked in by the Evora. They let their only lotus mechanic go because they’re too cheap to pay him a proper salary. How’s that for warranty coverage. Damn I hate that dealership. And how is it that in a city of 3 million there’s only one dealer!!!!!! Wtf
At the moment I just need an oil change but there is a previous fault coded to the transmission that needs to be warranty addressed.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow sorry to hear that. I've also only heard not so great things about Star lately. I also have an Evora 400 and live by the Galleria. The oil change on our cars is not hard to do at all. Really not much more difficult than any other car. If you need help with the oil change I would be more than happy to assist you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a super generous offer! I’ll take it!! I don’t have any equipment though, , etc.
I feel like I need to learn how to do the general work on the car considering the lack of a network.
thanks!

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,144 Posts
That is sad news. Unfortunately we are mostly on our own when dealing with our cars. You are best to learn how to service your car and purchase the tools needed.

·
Illegal Alien
5,009 Posts
Would also be a good idea to download a copy of the Service Notes from Lotus VSI site, cost about $24 for a download session and get an OBD2 reader or adapter for phone. Even if warranty issue. It helps to be armed with the code and diagnostic information that is presented in the Service Notes. For warranty work you will need to get car to Dallas .. Sports Car World, or Austin HiTech Lotus of Austin. I live in East Texas and have used both.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you're not on the Lotus of South Texas (LOST) facebook group then you should definitely join. A lot of local Lotus owners with great info there too.
If you need a local shop for maintenance or work, I have heard only great things about Gas Head Motorworks. I've heard he's done a lot of clam off Lotus work.
PM me if you still need assistance with the oil change.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Join the LOST group, they have a meetup about once a month. You can ask for advice and talk about cars. I discovered there are some Lotus resources I did not know about and I can shoot them questions. A few even have lifts and tools.

There is also Jim down at the MSR Houston shop. I go to him because he is friendly and very knowledgable. I'm getting my Exige aligned there next week. I do all the other work so far. He does the track inspections for me. MSR Houston opened a Lotus driving experience which ran for a few years but I think is gone now. I was told they were selling most of the cars. Jim and his guys maintained those vehicles and semi-track vehicles like mine.

Armand Hindrichs also runs a shop (AR Hindrichs LLC Detailing and Mechanical) that several us have taken our Lotus to for various work. Very trustworthy and direct about what his small shop can handle. He just completed a friend's front clam removal in order to replace the radiator and the AC fixes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I suggest you talk to Clint at gasheadmotorworks.com. they are a Lotus Tech Centre although he just told me Lotus has cut off the use of their computer system from non-dealers. H can do lots of other stuff though.

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes I heard this was going to happen a week or so ago. I had Star's tech's cell phone number for when i needed work on my Evora S. He is a good dude, but because of financial issues related to the COVID stuff (so I heard) he quit and is going back to where he used to work (Lexus of Clearlake).

I am also looking for a mechanic to handle some aftermarket item installs on my Evora coming up. I'm going to reach out to Gas Head as has been suggested by others on here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow im in Houston as well with a 17 evora. So star motors is no longer doing warranty work? Hopes thats not the case. Im around pearland if u need help on oil change . I got a few extras 5 gallon jugs left and small lift in the garage

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow im in Houston as well with a 17 evora. So star motors is no longer doing warranty work? Hopes thats not the case. Im around pearland if u need help on oil change . I got a few extras 5 gallon jugs left and small lift in the garage
I spoke with the service guy today. They have hired some young mechanic whose a Mercedes guy. They’re trying to get him up to speed on lotus. Said they will definitely need some patience for warranty work, anything technical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2018 Evora here and I need warranty work as well...Star said they need “2 weeks” from last Friday. My damn AC is out..:I am told Gashead and Sphere motors are the alternatives but I can’t bring myself to pay for warranty work...yet

I spoke with the service guy today. They have hired some young mechanic whose a Mercedes guy. They’re trying to get him up to speed on lotus. Said they will definitely need some patience for warranty work, anything technical.
Need some referrals for a mechanic for 2017 Evora 400. Star Motor Cars has screwed me again....I told myself it would happen but I was too sucked in by the Evora. They let their only lotus mechanic go because they’re too cheap to pay him a proper salary. How’s that for warranty coverage. Damn I hate that dealership. And how is it that in a city of 3 million there’s only one dealer!!!!!! Wtf
At the moment I just need an oil change but there is a previous fault coded to the transmission that needs to be warranty addressed.

·
Administrator
1,548 Posts
You complain about only having on dealer in your city. Try the mid atlantic states. There's not a dealer without figuring in a full day's drive and traveling a couple of states.

Reactions: Julian73

·
Registered
475 Posts
This is bad news. Fortunately, Clint has experience on these cars but him losing the tech centre means we have no choice but to go to Star for ECU related issues. Star better hope that their new guy gets up to speed quickly as they have had some issues with Lotus mechanics in the past. I am bummed that Tom is gone; he was always easy to discuss the cars with.

Can Clint do state inspections? I need to re-register my cars.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That can be a dealer's downfall only having one Lotus tech. The Lotus of Greenville SC closed after the one Lotus / Maserati tech quit a few months ago.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wow sorry to hear that. I've also only heard not so great things about Star lately. I also have an Evora 400 and live by the Galleria. The oil change on our cars is not hard to do at all. Really not much more difficult than any other car. If you need help with the oil change I would be more than happy to assist you.
That's the spirit!

·
Registered
297 Posts
2018 Evora here and I need warranty work as well...Star said they need “2 weeks” from last Friday. My damn AC is out..:I am told Gashead and Sphere motors are the alternatives but I can’t bring myself to pay for warranty work...yet
I have a 2012 Evora S, which I know is not exactly the same beast, so maybe this is not relevant, but here goes. My AC instantly went from working perfectly to blowing hot air. Fan still worked, etc. So pilled fuse, looked fine. Put fuse back in, but still no cold air. Out of desperation, put new fuse in, and PRESTO!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I have a 2012 Evora S, which I know is not exactly the same beast, so maybe this is not relevant, but here goes. My AC instantly went from working perfectly to blowing hot air. Fan still worked, etc. So pilled fuse, looked fine. Put fuse back in, but still no cold air. Out of desperation, put new fuse in, and PRESTO!
I have found that automotive fuses of all brands and types are manufactured to the lowest possible cost. Quality is secondary, especially far east manufacturers. They are a commodity item.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all for the info. Left the car with Clint at gas head this morning. We will see...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Clint does not do inspections. There is place a mile or 2 from his shop that he sends people to for inspections. Texas automotive performance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts