The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, it's a ways off.... but some things will require some planning. :) And it's something to fill the empty space in this subforum until 2004. :p

I have some ideas for meets and drives and I would like to hear what other people think or their ideas.

One idea is something I have always wanted to do in any car. That is drive Route 66, the Mother Road. Start in Chicago and end in Los Angeles. How cool would that be to have a line of Elises all making the same trip? I expect maybe a 5 day trip with plenty of stops?

There are some logistical issues. One, no matter where you are, the start or end are not going to be close to you. People could pick up the trip anywhere, like in Missouri and drop off anywhere though.

It would make a great photo opportunity. All these Elises parked in front of some old 50's Americana.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'm thinking of organizing some weekend road trips, similar to some of the MR2 runs we've done (GSR, NSR).

Route 66 has never really interested me...before my time, I guess. ;-)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You kids. :)

There are some California specific drives I would love to do again.

1. Highway 49. Through the old gold country. Great views. A good mix of twisty roads and open cruising.

2. Highway 101. North. North out of San Francisco up thru the Avenue of the Giants. Ferndale. Eureka. Perhaps a lunch or dinner at the Samoa Cookhouse.

3. Highway 101. South. South out of San Francisco thru Monterey Bay, Carmel, Big Sur, hugging the cliffs along the coast. Down to Hearst Castle/San Simeon. Maybe a stop in Morro Bay for dinner or all the way into Solvang. England invades Denmark! :)

Of course, there are a lot of shorter local trips for canyon and mountain runs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
what about the dragons tail in NC and TN? I think its like 318 turns in 11 miles. Our subaru club has an annual meet there every year along with many other clubs.

-jeremy

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I'm pretty sure all of us SoCal folks will need to go to the Monterey Historics next year.

Also, we need to do a central Coast Wine meet with the NorCal folks.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Heh! We almost made it a routine to drive that way in MR2.
Srarting around noon from San Jose and gong through all Big Sur area down HWY 1 to San Simeon for a dinner at Motel 6 restaurant (thanks MattG for showing us that place!). We're home by 10pm taking 101 or doing reverse of the same on Pacific Coast Highway which happens to be almost empty that time of the day ;-)

Randy Chase said:
3. Highway 101. South. South out of San Francisco thru Monterey Bay, Carmel, Big Sur, hugging the cliffs along the coast. Down to Hearst Castle/San Simeon. Maybe a stop in Morro Bay for dinner or all the way into Solvang. England invades Denmark! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Randy Chase said:

There are some California specific drives I would love to do again.

2. Highway 101. North. North out of San Francisco up thru the Avenue of the Giants. Ferndale. Eureka. Perhaps a lunch or dinner at the Samoa Cookhouse.

I just did this, the Fiat America club recently ran their second annual Fiat Mille 1000 mile run over three days, from the Golden Gate Bridge up Highway 1 through the avenue of the giants to Samoa, then the Klamath river, and down through the Trinity peaks. I have run it twice (in a Fiat spider) and have course notes etc. produced by Chris Obert.

In an Elise, the main challenge is luggage space (the lack of it). Also the Fiats (spiders and X1/9s mostly) used external CB radio aerials which work very well but have magnetic bases that don't stick to GRP :rolleyes:
Handhelds and FRS don't work on the twisty mountain roads, and its way more fun with radios.

I intend to run this course in the Elise next time, but will need to raise the suspension ride height first, its bumpy....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts