The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed meet attendance drop significantly across MANY automotive forums compared to years prior. Do you guys think it's a result of rising gas prices? No one seems to bring it up, but do you think it's on their minds before responding positively to a meet?

I know the rest of the consumer market has been hard hit.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think the fuel prices AND the general economy has put a hurt on any automotive get together. Specially larger meets with more travel.

I know many racing teams (pro) that are cutting back on travel for the same reasons.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Speaking of which, last week, there were over 250 cars there in the West Valley of Los Angeles...

THIS SUNDAY, JULY 27, SUPERCAR BIG SUNDAY! THE BIGGEST DAY OF THE MONTH! COME TO VALLEY CIRCLE DRIVE JUST SOUTH OF THE 101 IN THE PARKING LOT!

7AM-11AM! :D

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
sunday, sunday, sunday!

some of the meets have been hampered by the people not involved in them, lots of complaints about noisy oiks in the starbucks car parks and so forth, street racing (which is mostly a quick blast from the exhaust) and clamping down on modified cars because of the complaints.

less places to gather once it gets to a big group, since everyone seems to want to mee in built up well off areas

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I've noticed meet attendance drop significantly across MANY automotive forums compared to years prior. Do you guys think it's a result of rising gas prices? No one seems to bring it up, but do you think it's on their minds before responding positively to a meet?

I know the rest of the consumer market has been hard hit.
As you can imagine the ultra exotics and those with rare classics aren't nearly as affected so the meets are going strong out here in Chicago.

I'm sure that the lease and paycheck-to-paycheck crowd are getting hit pretty hard though and that could lead to them skipping out on driving for fun.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
P.S.

When asked in several threads if Lotus Talk members were bothered by the high price of gas, they answered a strong NO. :popcorn:

I hate the price of gas and I think we are being ripped off by the gas companies.

But I bought a Lotus to DRIVE it.

Meets and drives are a blast! :bow:

·
Registered
814 Posts
I think we've had about as many meets here in the Carolinas as in years past if not a few more. We have actually had some of our best turn of all time at those meets. Of course this part of the country has not been hit as hard by the economic downturn as some other areas.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I figure: The people of limited means, especially those with gas guzzlers (think mussel cars and hot rods) will probably be spending more time on forums and less driving. The high end cars owned by people with money won't be impacted and will not make any significant changes in how they live. Lotus, being between the two extremes will be somewhere in the middle. Lucky for some, Lotus cars are efficient.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts