The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually surprised that nobody had started a thread about this (unless I'm blind and missed it).

I know the odds are terrible, but I think picking up a few tickets just for the opportunity to day dream about winning makes it worth it to me. :)

We also had a work pool and bought around 900 tickets.

Oh, and if you want to see if luck is going to be on your side tonight, you can try a Mega-Millions simulator here:

Incredibly Depressing Mega Millions Lottery Simulator!

After running the 10 year option about 100 times and not winning anything over 150 on a single ticket, I'm not feeling too good about tonight...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Interesting stories, I happen to know several lottery winners - I'm not talking 100's of millions, but still....

A few guys that won a quarter-million each - paid a few debts, bought a car, and blew the rest in a year or two. Back to square one.

A guy that won a million in Greece - same story, sank most of it on a multiply-your-money-quick scheme involving Belgian cattle. They all died from some rare disease, and now he's broke and waiting tables again.

My own accountant, who won $350k and wisely invested the **** out of it after paying off his mortgage.

A classmate in high school who won $3 million right after getting kicked out of the house. She moved to Paris, bought a large apartment in Monmartre, and I hear is having a really hard time these days maintaining the apartment. Essentially on the verge of selling it. Will probably wind up with a million in her pocket, but I guess it won't last forever in a place like Paris when you're unemployed and bumming around all day.

One of my brother's classmate's parents hit some tristate megalottery in the 80's - won something like $30 million. They basically disappeared, no one heard from them again.

In the end, none of the lottery winners seem to be happy. Money just doesn't buy happiness, except for a Lotus of course. I was a broke student with six-figures of debt. Now I'm well-off and have no problem buying anything I want. What does it bring me? Nothing. I'm worse off than before. I think I'm getting cheaper by the year. It's like if I spend 10 thousand, I need to replace it ASAP or else I feel somehow like I've lost or been cheated. It's bizarre and I don't like the feeling.

Anyone else experience the same thing?

·
Registered
442 Posts
640 Million...Heck yeah I'm playing!

·
Registered
693 Posts
The winners of this jackpot will win more than the money. They will be instantly famous and probably make guest appearances on tv radio and internet.

Studies show that when its this much money, people play as insurance more
Than winning. By joinging a lottery pool, they insure that if they win, they aren't the only one who doesnt become rich.

Considering the payout, lotto is great entertainment when played responsibly. Dont get me started on some horror stories... There are some real heartbreakers.

That being said... I bought $10,000.

J/k! $50 should do it. ;-)

·
Registered
953 Posts
In the end, none of the lottery winners seem to be happy. Money just doesn't buy happiness, except for a Lotus of course. I was a broke student with six-figures of debt. Now I'm well-off and have no problem buying anything I want. What does it bring me? Nothing. I'm worse off than before. I think I'm getting cheaper by the year. It's like if I spend 10 thousand, I need to replace it ASAP or else I feel somehow like I've lost or been cheated. It's bizarre and I don't like the feeling.

Somewhat related feeling. Whenever I make a large purchase I feel like I must offset that purchase by investing that same amount, which is good in a way because that just makes the price of everything double and I end up not purchasing it. :clap:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
No tickets for me, but I'm glad everyone else participates. This generates a fortune in tax revenue, of which I pay basically nothing. Essentially, I win the lottery every day.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,685 Posts
All you have to do is buy 175,711,536 tickets to win.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Yep and if 3 other people do that your payoff should break even with all of the 250k sets of winning numbers (all 5 numbers but no mega ball) and all the 2, 7, 150 dollar winners also.

Add it up and if 4 people do this - you lose money.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Lottery has terrible payouts (60% ish according to a recent news article.) Better off playing slots (payout is like 90% or more.) That said, you can't win if you don't play. Lottery is basically a tax on poor people, and entertainment for the rest of us - but not for me. I have better things to spend my money on, like hookers and blow.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Hookers and blow ok

Just not blowing hookers

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Actually...

Back around 10-15 years ago, there was an organization that pretty much did just that here on the East Coast. When the VA lottery amount got large enough, they sent out a large number of employees to buy specific lists of lottery numbers. Of course they won. In this case winning over $600 million (lump sum probably around $300 million) for an investment of $175 million might be good business. Of course for a business, or an individual, with this large a pot, and subsequently a very large number of people of playing, the odds are that your particular winning number is going to be shared by a group of people. Wouldn't it be a bummer to winn $600 million and have to share it with say, 200 people?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I won the lottery at birth. I was blessed with a massive organ and a 106 mph fastball. ;)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Hookers and blow ok

Just not blowing hookers
I said I was spending my money... I didn't mention how I was going to make that money... :evil:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Wouldn't it be a bummer to winn $600 million and have to share it with say, 200 people?
Yes, I'd be pissed if I won $3 million. :huh:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Money just doesn't buy happiness, except for a Lotus of course. I was a broke student with six-figures of debt. Now I'm well-off and have no problem buying anything I want. What does it bring me? Nothing. I'm worse off than before. I think I'm getting cheaper by the year. It's like if I spend 10 thousand, I need to replace it ASAP or else I feel somehow like I've lost or been cheated. It's bizarre and I don't like the feeling.

I agree with you on happyness. I am far from wealthy but do well enough. I buy used cars and have simple needs. We have been messing arund at work alot about what we would do with millions, and I am not sure I would change my life that much. My exige would probably get 5000$ in upgrades and I would trade the station wagon for a cts-v. I recently bought a house I probably would have sprung for one with a 3 car garage instead of 2. Thats about it, and I could do all that stuff with 150k probably anyways.

10 years ago I was exstatic to be buying a brand new WRX and thought it was the greatest thing in the world. I started making a bit more and bought an elise which I thought was the greatest thing in the world. I started making a bit more and bought an exige which currently is the greatest thing in the world. I think this game goes on forever until you are buying military jets. In the end my first drive in the exige was less exciting than bringing home that shiny new wrx.

conclusion: if you are healthy, have people that car about you, and have enough money to not struggle, life is pretty good.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,685 Posts
Actually...

Back around 10-15 years ago, there was an organization that pretty much did just that here on the East Coast. When the VA lottery amount got large enough, they sent out a large number of employees to buy specific lists of lottery numbers. Of course they won. In this case winning over $600 million (lump sum probably around $300 million) for an investment of $175 million might be good business. Of course for a business, or an individual, with this large a pot, and subsequently a very large number of people of playing, the odds are that your particular winning number is going to be shared by a group of people. Wouldn't it be a bummer to winn $600 million and have to share it with say, 200 people?
200 people would have to shell out $ 878,557.68 each to win.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Hookers and blow ok

Just not blowing hookers

but i know someone who blew a tranny once. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts