·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Fn timing BELT!!!! In all likelihood, located where it requires an engine out to service. HUGE DEAL BREAKER!!!!!!! Can't believe nobody has jumped on this issue yet!!!

Is that a timing belt???? cuz I see a chain elsewhere and not that much of a guru.

And obviously NOT hand built so that is total BS

Reactions: kratedisease

·
Administrator
7,575 Posts
Interesting that they use the AC to cool the intercooler at high demand.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fn timing BELT!!!! In all likelihood, located where it requires an engine out to service. HUGE DEAL BREAKER!!!!!!! Can't believe nobody has jumped on this issue yet!!!
I think the belt shown is for the water pump. Later in the video you can see the timing chain sticking up as he installs the head. I really dislike the fact that any belt is buried that deep. If it is for the water pump, that means the pump is deeply buried as well.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been trying to find any info I can on the M139. Most info is from 2019 when it was introduced. It does not appear that the M139 is offered in any US Federal cars, everything in the US (this year) uses a M133 engine but it has similar specs with an output of 375 or 382 HP, depending where you look on the MB USA site. Clear as mud. I would like to go drive a CLA 45 just to feel it, knowing it will not be anywhere close to what the Emira will get. Does anyone else have any experience with the M139?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Is it odd that every sign is in German except "Start Your Engine"?

There's quite a few similar videos:

Ferrari ones a bit more emotional!

Very interesting, did not realize how much robots were involved in assembling engines, especially the exotics.

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
I think the belt shown is for the water pump. Later in the video you can see the timing chain sticking up as he installs the head. I really dislike the fact that any belt is buried that deep. If it is for the water pump, that means the pump is deeply buried as well.
THank you. Very deep indeed. Why not chain it??

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed, whatever is being driven should be a chain IMHO. I also read that the water pump is electric so I want to re-watch the video to see what is being driven. It was late at night when I watched it the first time.

·
Administrator
7,575 Posts
Reactions: RapidLotus

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Agreed, whatever is being driven should be a chain IMHO. I also read that the water pump is electric so I want to re-watch the video to see what is being driven. It was late at night when I watched it the first time.
Interested!

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
I think there is a timing chain, mounted at the rear:

But there is a belt-driven something or another, which is internal:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been trying to find any info I can on the M139. Most info is from 2019 when it was introduced. It does not appear that the M139 is offered in any US Federal cars, everything in the US (this year) uses a M133 engine but it has similar specs with an output of 375 or 382 HP, depending where you look on the MB USA site. Clear as mud. I would like to go drive a CLA 45 just to feel it, knowing it will not be anywhere close to what the Emira will get. Does anyone else have any experience with the M139?
The newest generation CLA and A class 45 models use the M139. It's just not tuned to reach the 400+ horsepower found in the 45S versions from Europe. The noises from the M133 vs M139 are pretty different.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think there is a timing chain, mounted at the rear:

View attachment 1293902

But there is a belt-driven something or another, which is internal:

View attachment 1293903
Exactly! It was not
The newest generation CLA and A class 45 models use the M139. It's just not tuned to reach the 400+ horsepower found in the 45S versions from Europe. The noises from the M133 vs M139 are pretty different.
For some reason the MB USA site states that the 2021 MB USA models are using the M133 but it is probably an error on their site.

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
340 Posts
Exactly! It was not

For some reason the MB USA site states that the 2021 MB USA models are using the M133 but it is probably an error on their site.
I think the info is outdated. Note that the HP specs on their AMG engine page are old as well.

There are two versions of the M139 for those unaware: the 382HP/354 lb ft base version; and the 416HP/369 lb ft S version with the latter not yet available in the US (to my knowledge).

·
Registered
214 Posts
It isn't we only get the 382hp verion... but its a rocket..Ive driven the CLA45 and GLA45 several times.. I love it. I'd get it on the Emira without hesitation if I didn't want a 3 pedal manual so bad

Reactions: ryoung99

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It isn't we only get the 382hp verion... but its a rocket..Ive driven the CLA45 and GLA45 several times.. I love it. I'd get it on the Emira without hesitation if I didn't want a 3 pedal manual so bad
What were your impressions of the MB DCT? We might not get the exact same transmission but maybe we do. I hope to drive a CLA45 this weekend.

·
Registered
109 Posts
timing chain belt with a timing belt not for me I don't want pull the engine for to this , way to much money ! going with 3.5 V6 and 6 speed

1 - 20 of 53 Posts