The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
Are the folks who are concerned about the engine-out requirement to replace an engine belt equally worried about engine-out to replace the clutch on the much desired manual transmission?

I suspect the belt/chain will last longer than the clutch.
Yet another reason mine will be IPS or DCT. Been there, rebuilt that...as well as tranny

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
The water pump is electrically driven. In the upper snapshot from the reverse side, in that area, it appears to show the pump motor below the black pump housing. The gearset he fastened would be driving the pump assembly and the latter gear he slipped on with the belt itself would be attached to the output shaft of the motor. It does appear that it will be sandwiched inside the block behind the transmission, completely sealed from the elements, so I assume it is designed for a long service interval, likely with a lifespan that exceeds the expected useable life of the other components surrounding it. Otherwise a whole lot will have to come off to acess it. Though it is on the cold side of the engine, behind the chargecooler, I do suppose I'd feel better about its longevity if it were chain, gear or drive belt driven as well. However; I trust AMG wouldn't invest in the design and R&D of this powerplant if it weren't over-engineered to a degree. With the hybrid, e-turbo version of this engine likely to produce around 600+ hp, to replace the V8 in the likes of the C63 etc., I'm going to give AMG the benefit of the doubt and say they're on top of it.

View attachment 1294095

View attachment 1294096
Yea sounds like the stuff Porsche said about it IMS...........we know how that is a FAIL. Germans F up too.
They have a history of overcomplicated, unserviceability.
This is a VERY important detail that will need to be 100% verified before I get anywhere near this motor. The more I see the intricate packaging, the more I see engine out needs for SEVERAL items as time marches on. Now if Emira has a rear clam that opens readily, totally diffeenrt than a several $$$$$K clam off to get access event. Again, 16K later this year for everything, Iknow about the $$$$

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
220 Posts
What were your impressions of the MB DCT? We might not get the exact same transmission but maybe we do. I hope to drive a CLA45 this weekend.
the newer MB DCT in the C117 CLA45 is great.. way better than the old DCt in the previous gen cla/gla

·
Registered
32 Posts
Speaking of German engineering, I am currently reading a Peter Drucker book on management, and one of his statements is about how well the German's were learning and doing "management" in their WWII "management." Business management was a relatively new endeavor at this time - hard to believe now. Think: "Work smarter, not harder!"

·
Registered
2917 Evora 400 (white witg brown leather)
20 Posts
Impressive video on the making of the AMG M139 engine. There is no music, talking, etc. Very German, very to the business. It is a very interesting watch!

View attachment 1293882

Mercedes-AMG M139 four-cylinder engine with 416 horsepower
Mercedes bottom 3rd in consistent quality.
I've spent way too much servicing Mercedes products. I'd choose the Toyota engine and drive train option based on track record to keep the cost of ownership down which will also help maintain my enjoyment.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I attended an AMG advanced school about 2 years ago and they used the AMG GT for most of the track program and the 4 cyl CLA45 for the autocross portion. To me, the sound was awful on the 4 cyl. Maybe just bad in contrast to the AMG V8 in the other cars. This is just my opinion, but I toss it out there to add to the conversation. I had an Evora S with a Larini exhaust and thought it was the best sounding V6 (street car) I have heard. The Emira sounds similar. The startup sound on the first video was not impressive and I assume it was the 4.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, I've watched a lot of videos with the M139 engine noise, and at best it's just okay but cannot escape the 4 cylinder characteristics. I'll cautiously trust Lotus saying that they made it sound good, but yeah it'll definitely not sound better than the V6.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I4 can't never be compared to a V6 which can't never be compared to a V8. No need to say anything about the v12

·
Registered
497 Posts
Lotus posted the Emira HP 360-400. So the 360HP must be for the I4 engine. Does anyone knows if this turbo I4 will have an intercooler for the Emira?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lotus posted the Emira HP 360-400. So the 360HP must be for the I4 engine. Does anyone knows if this turbo I4 will have an intercooler for the Emira?
It's got to. It won't make such power consistently or reliabily without one. I'd be more focused on if they have a good oil cooling solution worked in. The main annoyance with forced induction is heat build up and timing being cut which reduces power as it gets hotter and hotter.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts