The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The newest addition to the Mercedes Benz AMG familly: SL65 AMG WITH Twin Turbo V12 ENGINE.
604 bhp and 738 lb-ft of torque!!!! :eek:

Dear God these Germans are bloody nuts!

Neil

The power of a Mercedes-Benz has been redefined with the new 6.0-liter twin-turbo V12 engine found in the SL65 AMG. The engine is capable of 604 hp and 738 lb-ft of torque resulting in a 0-60 mph time of approximately 4.2 seconds. Mercedes-Benz will unveil the new AMG model during the press days preceding the New York Auto Show at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in April 2004.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Let's see, Elise 0-60 4.9 seconds, 189 H.P. for mid $40's vs. 4.2 seconds, 604 H.P. and $190K???? or more? What's wrong with this picture? Don't get me wrong, I have a 2004 Mercedes E500 daily driver, which is as fast as any sedan has a right to be and I love it, but the Elise is a total slam dunk in the performance department and I have a non-refundable order in to prove my love of Elise.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cerven said:
Let's see, Elise 0-60 4.9 seconds, 189 H.P. for mid $40's vs. 4.2 seconds, 604 H.P. and $190K???? or more? What's wrong with this picture? Don't get me wrong, I have a 2004 Mercedes E500 daily driver, which is as fast as any sedan has a right to be and I love it, but the Elise is a total slam dunk in the performance department and I have a non-refundable order in to prove my love of Elise.
No questions...you are right, I expected the 0-60 time to be in the sub 4 sec. But 738 lb-ft of torque!!! in a production car is insane. I can just see hitting the gas and my eyeballs hitting the back of my scull!

Neil

·
Registered
143 Posts
Little Bastard said:
738 lb-ft of torque!!! in a production car is insane. I can just see hitting the gas and my eyeballs hitting the back of my scull!
And just think of the towing capacity of that thing! Maybe they're targeting this thing to yacht owners. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
That 0-60 time doesn't make sense. The CL65, which is undoubtedly much heavier, gets sub-4-second times.

I'd be suspicious if the performance figures for this car didn't closely resemble those of teh SLR

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Little Bastard said:
No questions...you are right, I expected the 0-60 time to be in the sub 4 sec. But 738 lb-ft of torque!!! in a production car is insane. I can just see hitting the gas and my eyeballs hitting the back of my scull!

Neil
how much of that torque gets 'converted' though :eek: :confused:

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
All I know is I'd have a blast with one of those engines !!!!

Would Mercedes or AMG sell a tuned engine like that?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ok I digress..

I would hope that a trip to Bonneville Salt Flats is included with the car. Seems a rather pointless display of over motoring vanity.. but maybe I'm just cynicial because I can't afford it, but I doubt it would interest me here in the States anyways. I always love how when I visit Germany and get lectured about Americans and our wasteful SUV's etc. I then casually mention these status cars like the VW's W12 Phaetons 12 mpg etc etc etc.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GabbaGabbaHey said:
Ok I digress..

I would hope that a trip to Bonneville Salt Flats is included with the car. Seems a rather pointless display of over motoring vanity.. but maybe I'm just cynicial because I can't afford it, but I doubt it would interest me here in the States anyways. I always love how when I visit Germany and get lectured about Americans and our wasteful SUV's etc. I then casually mention these status cars like the VW's W12 Phaetons 12 mpg etc etc etc.
You have a good point. But, my Uncle is German and this is how he thinks; He hates SUVs. But he wouldn't mind it if it did 180 mph and was as safe as a car. So when I hear this I think, man you are contradicting yourself. Then I realize the Germans' idea of an SUV is the Cayenne Turbo or the BMW X5 not a Ford Expedition or a GMC. Still harsh on fuel but very fast and quite safe. I think Germans are always focused of speed and they believe Americans are wasteful simply because our SUVs are to damm slow and would just get in the way over there. If they were to pick an American vehicle of that size, they are more likely to pick a Dodge SRT or a Ford Lightning.

Neil

·
Registered
479 Posts
I lived in Germany for four years and yes, many Germans do have a love of fast cars and a hatred of SUVs with the associated Ami (pejorative word for Americans) bashing. While this may appear to be a contradiction, I don't believe that it is. When you get out on the roads in Germany you will see a vast majority of the cars are relatively small and efficient compared to what you see on roads in the US. It is one thing to think that a fast car is a wonderful thing...regularly driving a gas guzzler is another...especially with how expensive gas is in Germany.

Edit: You can search gas prices in Germany at www.clever-tanken.de. In my old stomping grounds of Hamburg, the CHEAPEST price for Super-Plus was listed today at about 1.149 Euro/liter. That's about $5.50 a gallon! I think it is obvious why Germans would pick fuel efficient cars.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nochmal said:
I lived in Germany for four years and yes, many Germans do have a love of fast cars and a hatred of SUVs with the associated Ami (pejorative word for Americans) bashing. While this may appear to be a contradiction, I don't believe that it is. When you get out on the roads in Germany you will see a vast majority of the cars are relatively small and efficient compared to what you see on roads in the US. It is one thing to think that a fast car is a wonderful thing...regularly driving a gas guzzler is another...especially with how expensive gas is in Germany.

Edit: You can search gas prices in Germany at www.clever-tanken.de. In my old stomping grounds of Hamburg, the CHEAPEST price for Super-Plus was listed today at about 1.149 Euro/liter. That's about $5.50 a gallon! I think it is obvious why Germans would pick fuel efficient cars.
I agree. My uncle drives a 911 for fun but most the time he drives a BMW 520 tds (Turbo diesel) to work. But then again if you pay $190K for a car I think fuel prices are the least of your concerns.

Neil

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
transio said:
I'd be suspicious if the performance figures for this car didn't closely resemble those of teh SLR
Actually, you'd think so, but they don't at all. The SLR is ahead due to weight and chassis packaging, especially at high speeds. The two are pretty close to 100mph, but after that the SLR embarasses it.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
There are plenty of Germans that love SUV's btw...

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vantage said:
There are plenty of Germans that love SUV's btw...
No doubt about that... my parents live in Europe and they love SUVs but they don't really care about driving like bats out of hell on the Autobahn. So a SUV would be fine for them. I guess it comes down to what prefer: hight speed or practicality. On the other hand there are a lot of Americans that hate SUVs too. :p

Neil

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I've only read this thread very quickly but I haven't seen anybody ask the most important question: what's this beast (excuse me, beautiful beast) weigh ? It's impressive, but as they say on one of the Top Gear reviews, the Elise weighs less than a Mercedes headrest !

BTW, the other reason SUVs are not so popular in Europe is they're so darn big. I'd sure hate to maneuver one through a typical German village, let alone the streets of Paris, say.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mikester said:
I've only read this thread very quickly but I haven't seen anybody ask the most important question: what's this beast (excuse me, beautiful beast) weigh ? It's impressive, but as they say on one of the Top Gear reviews, the Elise weighs less than a Mercedes headrest !

BTW, the other reason SUVs are not so popular in Europe is they're so darn big. I'd sure hate to maneuver one through a typical German village, let alone the streets of Paris, say.
Good point.
I tried looking around on the internet & it drives me nuts, I can't seem to find how much the bloody thing weighs! :mad: But I am sure it is heavy enough to uses all 738 lb-ft of torque. Does anybody know what the usual SL 55 weighs?

Neil

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Little Bastard said:
Does anybody know what the usual SL 55 weighs?

Neil
SL55 = 4319 lbs.

Also the wieght difference between the CL500 and CL600 is 420 lbs. If that weight difference applies to the SL55 vs. the SL65, that would put the SL65 at about 4739 lbs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts