The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The production of the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren at the McLaren Technology Center in Woking, England, combines the best of two worlds: the advantages of the Mercedes-Benz Production System and the expertise of McLaren when it comes to building super sports cars. On May 12, 2004, the McLaren Technology Center was officially opened by Her Majesty The Queen, accompanied by His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh. The McLaren Technology Centre is the new corporate headquearters for the McLaren Group, in which DaimlerChrysler holds a 40-percent share. Around 140 highly qualified employees manufacture up to 500 units of the Gran Turismo in Woking each year. The SLR is available in limited numbers, in keeping with its exclusive character. During the vehicle’s seven-year lifespan, a total of 3,500 units will leave the Woking plant, which is equipped with the very latest in production technology. Overall, the McLaren Technology Centre measures approximately 22,500 square meters, of which 4000 square meters are accounted for by Mercedes-Benz SLR production.

http://www.dubspeedracing.com/forums/article.php?a=4

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I drove by it a few times last month (my Father-in-Law lives one mile away). The sign out front cost a lot more than our cars and it is smaller:eek:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Ron Dennis is a genius, it looks like an operating room:clap:

I know that a lot of the McLaren facility is underground and it looks like that is the case with the SLR production line.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Awesome pictures. Not sure about the car. Wouldn't turn one down but, eh, well, it's one of the things that I can't decide whether or not I really like it. The wheels are total crap, maybe that's what turns me off.

Man if I had a garage with hidden lifts & was that clean... :)

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
The running joke is that the production of this facility is reason why the F1 team has done so poorly this year. Focus is now back on the race car and voila!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I guess if you can afford a car like that you don't have thoughts like this: I wonder what percentage of the car price goes to paying for the operating room of an assembly line, versus design and components of the car?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Patricko said:
Ron Dennis is a genius, it looks like an operating room:clap:

I know that a lot of the McLaren facility is underground and it looks like that is the case with the SLR production line.
Why would they put them underground?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Neil, I saw one last Saturday, and it looks Amazing in silver. I think that's really the best color for the car and besides, that's the classic color for German cars, ja ? Ja. ;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Little Bastard said:
Does this car only come in ONE color? WTF?!...
I was wondering the same thing. For $600k, you'd think they'd paint it any color you desire.

That's one super car I don't think I'd be tempted to buy if I had the $$.

- John

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that the SLR is incredibly boring?

...and what kind of supercar comes with an automatic transmission, anyway? :huh:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm sure that the operating room that I had back surgery in was not that clean - certainly didn't look as nice LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts