The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GRRRRRRR..... Its happening quicker than expected. The new CLA AMG, nice!
The downside it flat out is a much quicker car then a lotus Svora S, handles amazing for a true 4 seater, its got the same hp as an S from a 2.0 4cyl!

Buddy of mine 6 times in a row blew my doors off 0-100 and 0-60 and he paid $44k. Grant it its not a sports car but it handles VERY VERY well. Come on Lotus lets get your crap together, your a race car company!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Well, for one it's not faster than an S, but second who cares, just a little over a stock NA. Nothing Audi hasn't been doing with their S cars.

In the end it doesn't handle like a Lotus. It won't corner like one either. If you just want to go fast in a straight line, Ford has a Mustang for you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well its great that the Evora handles better for now. Point is a better or equal handling, faster car and at half the price is probably a year away. Im sorry but it is faster until the Evora gets to 165+mph.

Edit: I bought my 72 year old mother a regular CLA last year, glad i didnt wait a year or i might have bought her the AMG version. It would not have been good for my mother at a stop light beating my Evora S.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,772 Posts
Clearly you bought the wrong car!

Let me introduce the car you should have bought: Ford GT500 Mustang. $54,000, 662HP. About the same price as an Evora or CLA AMG but with way more power!

But remember straight line speed is a slippery slope as there will always be someone with more $ than you who will have a faster car! ...At the end of the day who cares?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Buying a car for the stats is ridiculous - you buy a car for the experience. I'm quite positive that an Evora is not the same experience as a CLA45 AMG...

Plus, why care about stoplight racing? There will always be someone with less $ than you with a faster straight-line car smoking yours off stoplights... it isn't exactly expensive in the grand scheme of things to put a 1G AWD DSM into the 10s, but it's still a 1G DSM.

Hell, there will probably be someone with a cheaper car smoking you at the track, too, unless you're a truly phenomenal driver... it's about the fun, not the numbers or the money.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
You would have won if you had dropped the clutch at 5K... but you are a wise man and don't feel the need to replace your clutch annually, right....????? CLA requires you to push down right foot and go....

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
If you want an advantage look for a corner.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
This makes me think of all those comments in the cars section on Yahoo.

'Umm, my MustaChargamaro does the Kessel run in twelve parsecs and I smoked a Bugatey last week'

That being said, I am intrigued by the CLA AMG. Like the 918, it's a very important car. We are seeing tech that's going to be moving it's way into the mainstream. As far as I've seen, it's the highest output 4 cyl engine if I recall.

Smaller engine, better gas mileage, lower weight, better performance? We all win.

But then Yahoo dopes will stay say 'V8 derp, 'Murican muscle derp, displacement derp, quarter mile, derp'

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes i have IPS, that takes some umpff out of launching. I know why i bought the Evora, its a blast to drive decently quick but i also dont get to hung up in the nostalgia that trumps stats either.

Some may be perfectly satisfied if the Evora had 180hp and its all about the experience of the drive and i get that up to a point.

I know it would be hard to find one mustang owner that wouldn't swap for an Evora as well, i wouldn't swap three!. Just dont want to see a stock 2016 mazda miata 2.0 turbo out powering and blowing by us in the turns while we scream out the window "it all about the experience man!" :coolnana:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CLA AMG Can't be $44k.
It most certainly is, i was in one that was purchased. Whats weird is you cant tell its a turbo, there's like no lag, i don't understand how it works. My mothers CLA is like that too, its a fluid power it doesn't seem to hit a certain rpm before it starts to pull hard.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Starts at $49k before options.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
That being said, I am intrigued by the CLA AMG. Like the 918, it's a very important car. We are seeing tech that's going to be moving it's way into the mainstream.
The CLA AMG is interesting, but there's not really any new technology in it and I don't know if I'd call it important. It's Mercedes doing a Mitsubishi Evo. It does have high boost for a stock car, but beyond that what's new?

·
Registered
283 Posts
CLA AMG Can't be $44k.
Starts at 47.5k
Fully loaded with a nice paint, nice wheels, sport and comfort package, you're somewhere between 55 and 60k

A nice car, but not a Lotus...
Value will go down quickly, and design will be outdated rather sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It most certainly is, i was in one that was purchased. Whats weird is you cant tell its a turbo, there's like no lag, i don't understand how it works. My mothers CLA is like that too, its a fluid power it doesn't seem to hit a certain rpm before it starts to pull hard.
Your friend must be feeding you some lines, because I searched every MB dealer locally and haven't found one in the 40's at all let alone low 40's.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Your friend must be feeding you some lines, because I searched every MB dealer locally and haven't found one in the 40's at all let alone low 40's.
If you go to Mercedes website and build one, you can see they start in the $40's. But I had one over $65K after I optioned it out. No dealer will order a car with no options. To get that you'd have to special order it for yourself.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts