The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having a discussion on a automobile forum as to the correct spelling for the plural of Lotus. Some of us use Lotus, some use Lotuses, 3 use Loti. Lotus is an British car manufacturer. The founder asked that the plural be Lotus. A recent letter from the factory states they wish the plural to be Lotus. Some of us say it doesn't matter what they want, it has to do with the accepted spelling of Lotus and not it's meaning. Which is the correct spelling?

Sincerely,
Josh Schreider

We do not usually enter regular plurals in our dictionary, only irregular
ones like "fish" or "foci." "Lotuses" is the generally accepted plural of
"lotus," so I would say that it should also be applied to the car.
Furthermore, it doesn't seem awkward to say "We both own Lotuses," as one
would say "We both own Fords," which means it wouldn't catch too many
people's attention as being wrong.

Sincerely,
Benjamin Korzec
Associate Editor

Of course Tim still won't except this. I have a letter from the Italian president saying we should spell Venice, Venezia like they do. So should we also change that? If you go back and read my posts, this is what I said, it has to do with usage over the years, (catch too many people's attention). If we all used Lotus, yes then Webster would put in a footnote as being acceptable. Even if it's a totally made up word with a made up plural, if enough people change the plural OR continually spell it in a different manor that becomes an accepted variation.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
So- Lotuses is the correct plural...good to know. I probably would have gone with "Lotus" and made a complete fool of myself!!! Thank you for the educational info. I don't see how Tim can dispute it now...

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't see how Tim can dispute it now...
Watch this!

Let's see I have to find the magic words... Double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and caldron bubble. Lotus schmotus, dominotus, come forward, come forward and eat some Crowtus. We implore you, oh, Tim the Great, Tim the all Seeing, Tim the all Knowing, Tim the all Hearing, Tim the impotent...I mean the Omnipotent. Come out of from the bowels of the Forum and give us your latest Lotus, proposterous plural pontification.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
The Onion Movie was great ( even though I don't eat them )

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Who ya gonna listen to? An associate editor at Webster, or Colin Chapman.

If I would thought about it I would of asked Clive Chapman at Log 28. lol.

Actually I don't really care that much, but i am entertained by the debate about it.

I like Loti myself, but usually say Lotus. As in: "At LOG 28 over 200 Lotus cars were present"

·
Registered
566 Posts
In your statement, Lotus had to be singular since you pluralized "cars" :)

You could, however, say, "At LOG 28 over 200 Lotus were present."

Who ya gonna listen to? An associate editor at Webster, or Colin Chapman.

If I would thought about it I would of asked Clive Chapman at Log 28. lol.

Actually I don't really care that much, but i am entertained by the debate about it.

I like Loti myself, but usually say Lotus. As in: "At LOG 28 over 200 Lotus cars were present"

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Watch this!

Let's see I have to find the magic words... Double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and caldron bubble. Lotus schmotus, dominotus, come forward, come forward and eat some Crowtus. We implore you, oh, Tim the Great, Tim the all Seeing, Tim the all Knowing, Tim the all Hearing, Tim the impotent...I mean the Omnipotent. Come out of from the bowels of the Forum and give us your latest Lotus, proposterous plural pontification.

Wrong approach. Try this:
Touring wheels!

There, that should do it :nanner2:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Another silly argument between two sides trying to decide which has the larger peni

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I have to agree with Tim and Patricko. It's the difference between what is the standard practice and what is correct. Webster seems to have there head up their arses or is it arse?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Well what is correct? I would guess that Lotus wants it said one way because it is about branding and name recognition, but that doesn't necessarily mean they get supersede proper english.

Lotus cars = :up:
Lotuses = :up:
Loti = :thwack:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Tim is too smart to fall into this trap.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Well what is correct? I would guess that Lotus wants it said one way because it is about branding and name recognition, but that doesn't necessarily mean they get supersede proper english.

Lotus cars = :up:
Lotuses = :up:
Loti = :thwack:
I don't think it supersedes proper English. There is certainly precedent of words being the same for both singular and plural uses.

Look at the deer grazing on my front yard.
This sentence could mean both a single deer or a herd of deer in the yard.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts