The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, been on the hunt for mesh grills some look good some look sketchy. I really wanted to replace the factory plastic with carbon fiber but after some price searching i just don't think its worth spending $1700 to replace the plastic for CF. ill Save my money and use CF some were with i will see some weight savings.

Can some one suggest a kit that they have knowledge about.
Also my wife wants to buy me CF side scoops if someone have as a recommendation there as well

looking for
Front grills
hood grills
engine lid grills

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
OK, been on the hunt for mesh grills some look good some look sketchy. I really wanted to replace the factory plastic with carbon fiber but after some price searching i just don't think its worth spending $1700 to replace the plastic for CF. ill Save my money and use CF some were with i will see some weight savings.

Can some one suggest a kit that they have knowledge about.
Also my wife wants to buy me CF side scoops if someone have as a recommendation there as well

looking for
Front grills
hood grills
engine lid grills
Eliseparts.com
Eliseusa.com (though I just got an email stating they are working on a new project and won't be making any new parts. but they might have old stock available?)

But your best bet is to make them yourself, that was one of my winter projects last year. You can do it MUCH cheaper than what they go for anywhere else.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Agreed, just do it yourself. I suggest McMaster-Carr for the finest mesh grills, I used their hexagonal.
Then just fill & cut the slats out yourself, I bought spare grills to mod, then I could just "drop in" the de-slatted pieces. Then I modded my left over originals and sold them:

It's not very difficult and looks 10 billion times better than the kits.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So if you take the louvered hood grills and engine grills off is it pretty easy to cut away the louvers? I am interested in how to do this

·
Registered
120 Posts
Agreed, just do it yourself. I suggest McMaster-Carr for the finest mesh grills, I used their hexagonal.
Then just fill & cut the slats out yourself, I bought spare grills to mod, then I could just "drop in" the de-slatted pieces. Then I modded my left over originals and sold them:

DIY steps? The price of kits always seemed ridiculous to me. Did you the bumper slats too?

·
hello
295 Posts

Nicely done :clap:

Any tips on how you cut out the inner vertical pieces so cleanly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts