The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new grad of a Clinical Dietetics program and so I'm looking for jobs that fit my criteria. Lately I've had to call HR's at hospitals up and a lot of times I have to leave messages b/c no one is there. I say the stupidest things to these machines, but I do fine at interviews. I tend to jumble up my words or be redundant. Just wondered if anyone else out there have the same problem.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Have a "Script" ready. Write down what you want to say before you call. Something like:

Hi, this is (insert name here). I am a recent grad of (program name) at (school name). I was told that the (insert department/program) at (insert business name here) is excellent and I would like to inquire onto any open positions.

Thanks, you can reach me at (Phone) any time.

Keep it short or else the person's mind will ignore it and just grab your name. no more than 10-15 seconds. If you don't have a script then you will stumble over words, forget something important. DO NOT LEAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS. Talk to people. It's important.

And if you do actually get someone on the phone have a checklist ready:

Top & bottom of the list: BLANK LINES. Right down everyone's name you speak to.

Who should I be speaking to?
Can I speak to them? (if they don't transfer you)
Tell them about yourself.
Tell them what field/job you want to get into.
Tell them if you would be willing to work else where to get started.
THEN ask them if they have any openings. Do that last. This will open yourself up to more opportunities. You decide what you want. Maybe not what you directly ask about but something like it somewhere else. If you just say "I want to do this" first of then they will only think of that little are that your asking about.

It may sound silly but also read a book on sales. The "One Minute Salesman" is easy to read (hour or less) and is a weak but good into. "The Sales Bible" by Jeffery Gitomer is awesome. Everyone can benefit from reading some sales books. They teach you how to read people better not to manipulate them but to better understand what they are really asking so you can give them a better answer. And interviewing for a job *IS* selling yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts