The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Time to start over. Strip the paint, prep it correctly and try again.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
There goes my coffee.

I suggest going with light coats and wait till they get tacky before laying down a thicker coat.

·
Less is Better
2,950 Posts
I applaud you for trying a diy project, but you need to start over. You will never get that to work with a brush. You need to strip it all off, mask it and spray it with primer and then color. There's no skipping steps to a good quality job.

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
521 Posts
That safety yellow on the spokes has a certain ...pop though!
Concept = 1
Execution= 0.4 Haw!

You'll get it and post new pic's!

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
It that yellow look just chrome orange in a flash?

Take it to a pro and tell them you bought the car that way, got a serious discount because of the paint job.

Just kiddin, but really I'd use a professional painter. I have never been able to get a good result on such projects.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Cut your losses and buy a MOMO.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Plasti dip works wonders for the black, the only problem us that plasti dip absolutely does not cover blemishes. If there is even a speck of dust under the plasti dip when it dries, it will show through. If your looking for a spot on Match to chrome orange with a rattle can your not gonna find it with krylon. One of their two oranges looks identical at a glance but does not quite match. Find a decent spray paint that is tangerine (my console and radio surround are painted this color and it took me months to realize it was slightly lighter then the CO) and get a clear metal flake from an auto store.

My 2¢ at least

·
Registered
505 Posts
Find a decent spray paint that is tangerine (my console and radio surround are painted this color and it took me months to realize it was slightly lighter then the CO) and get a clear metal flake from an auto store.

My 2¢ at least
or even easier,go to a paint shop and get them to make you some up=exact match;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Also grab some Cockpit Premium and remove the oils from your wheel while you're at it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I actually thought someone had made you a cleverly frosted lotus steering wheel cake!

·
Registered
903 Posts
never thought about painting the steering wheel and I guess it doesn't look bad - it looks different so you'll probably get a more honest opinion from someone who doesn't stare at bare metal every Lotus wheel time they get in their car and then see yours and dislike it immediately.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the problem is in painting the ring around the airbag, the shade will be different than the metal part of the steering wheel even with the same color but w good prep, it will not get scratched.
afterall, I think it is better than before!

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
An improvement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts