The Lotus Cars Community banner

Metal grate for bumper opening (rear valance screen).

738 19
I was thinking of adding a V8 style metal grate and putting it behind these openings at the bottom of the back bumper. Ideally it would be removable and not alter the bumper itself. Maybe just using double sided adhesive tape used for hanging posters. Anyone have any ideas where to get a sheet of metal thats already got holes cut out like that?

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Hood
Reactions: Twinturbo01
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I used a stainless steel mesh for my '83. Whatever you use, it will need more than double sided tape to stay on.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I used an epoxy on the bottom of the mesh to secure it to the rear valance. The stainless frame on the top is L-shaped and bolted to the bottom of the bumper cover.

Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Reactions: 71type65

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,936 Posts
You should be aware that the V8s with the mesh screens had a full-width muffler/exhaust. It was said that this contributed to the aerodynamic balance of the car at speed.
Folks that removed the muffler were criticized. :rolleyes:

So, fitting a valence screen might slow your Esprit down! (Kinda like fitting a rear wing....) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You should be aware that the V8s with the mesh screens had a full-width muffler/exhaust. It was said that this contributed to the aerodynamic balance of the car at speed.
Folks that removed the muffler were criticized. :rolleyes:

So, fitting a valence screen might slow your Esprit down! (Kinda like fitting a rear wing....) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That's why I used mesh!

·
Administrator
14,497 Posts

·
Administrator
14,497 Posts
They have all kinds of not only material but style of hole/perforation

·
Integrator
3,195 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Here is mine, epoxy painted aluminum mesh from the eBay store.

They have several different patterns and specify % of open area.

Also, McMaster Carr has a variety of mesh patterns: McMaster-Carr

Attachments

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Some thoughts to be aware of... stainless steel will rust. 316 is better against rust than 304. Aluminum won't rust, but it does oxidize.
My stainless mesh has been on the car for about 18 years and no signs of corrosion. Front valance, rear valance and hood vents - all nice and shiny.

Edit - My DeLorean is rust free after 41 years. I don't think you will have a corrosion problem with stainless mesh.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I bought a sheet of grill material from Custom Car Grills dot com, cut & fit each side, and had them powder coated black. The guy was easy to deal with and there is a big selection of patterns to choose from.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo 2.2L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here it is all finished. I had to get steel because I couldn't find anything with the perforation hole size I was looking for. Ended up using Gorilla brand mounting tape to secure it after looking into it, its supposed to hold up to 35lbs. Considering this plate is resting on a lip I think it will hold alright. Really wanted it to be a reversible modification too. Also since I'm in CA I don't think it will rust.

Time will tell!

Vehicle Car Hood Wheel Automotive lighting

Vehicle Tire Car Wheel Hood

·
Administrator
14,497 Posts
Here it is all finished. I had to get steel because I couldn't find anything with the perforation hole size I was looking for. Ended up using Gorilla brand mounting tape to secure it after looking into it, its supposed to hold up to 35lbs. Considering this plate is resting on a lip I think it will hold alright. Really wanted it to be a reversible modification too. Also since I'm in CA I don't think it will rust.

Time will tell!
Looks good. Is that just plain steel no coating? It will rust eventually if so rain or no rain. Maybe hit it with some clear coat?

View attachment 1328751
View attachment 1328750

1 - 20 of 20 Posts