The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Metal grate for bumper opening (rear valance screen).

1K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  kevindangerously 
#1 ·
I was thinking of adding a V8 style metal grate and putting it behind these openings at the bottom of the back bumper. Ideally it would be removable and not alter the bumper itself. Maybe just using double sided adhesive tape used for hanging posters. Anyone have any ideas where to get a sheet of metal thats already got holes cut out like that?

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Hood

See less See more
#2 ·
I used a stainless steel mesh for my '83. Whatever you use, it will need more than double sided tape to stay on.

#4 ·
I used an epoxy on the bottom of the mesh to secure it to the rear valance. The stainless frame on the top is L-shaped and bolted to the bottom of the bumper cover.

Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Reactions: 71type65
#5 ·
You should be aware that the V8s with the mesh screens had a full-width muffler/exhaust. It was said that this contributed to the aerodynamic balance of the car at speed.
Folks that removed the muffler were criticized. :rolleyes:

So, fitting a valence screen might slow your Esprit down! (Kinda like fitting a rear wing....) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

#6 ·
You should be aware that the V8s with the mesh screens had a full-width muffler/exhaust. It was said that this contributed to the aerodynamic balance of the car at speed.
Folks that removed the muffler were criticized. :rolleyes:

So, fitting a valence screen might slow your Esprit down! (Kinda like fitting a rear wing....) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That's why I used mesh!

#7 ·
#9 ·
They have all kinds of not only material but style of hole/perforation

#12 · (Edited)
Hi Kevin,

Here is mine, epoxy painted aluminum mesh from the eBay store.

They have several different patterns and specify % of open area.

Also, McMaster Carr has a variety of mesh patterns: McMaster-Carr

Attachments

#18 ·
Here it is all finished. I had to get steel because I couldn't find anything with the perforation hole size I was looking for. Ended up using Gorilla brand mounting tape to secure it after looking into it, its supposed to hold up to 35lbs. Considering this plate is resting on a lip I think it will hold alright. Really wanted it to be a reversible modification too. Also since I'm in CA I don't think it will rust.

Time will tell!

Vehicle Car Hood Wheel Automotive lighting

Vehicle Tire Car Wheel Hood

#19 ·
Here it is all finished. I had to get steel because I couldn't find anything with the perforation hole size I was looking for. Ended up using Gorilla brand mounting tape to secure it after looking into it, its supposed to hold up to 35lbs. Considering this plate is resting on a lip I think it will hold alright. Really wanted it to be a reversible modification too. Also since I'm in CA I don't think it will rust.

Time will tell!
Looks good. Is that just plain steel no coating? It will rust eventually if so rain or no rain. Maybe hit it with some clear coat?

View attachment 1328751
View attachment 1328750

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.