The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

This weekend i discovered metallic deposits on my wheels. They look like if pools of water have been sitting in parts of the wheel and rusted. There's also 'drips'. I will probably post pictures later when i get home.

The wheels are aluminum so it's not rust, besides, i have scraped these gunks with a key and reached the wheel itself and it seems undamaged.

I tried to remove it with wheel cleaner from Black Magic thinking it was brake dust. But i'm not sure it is. There's too much of it in very specific areas.

Could i have somehow melted the pads?. I have driven my car very hard, and i remember clearly one time during a very long hard driving session that something smelled like burning after braking hard from 100mph to like 50mph. (I don't know what pads the car has)

Any ideas what this can be?, and more importantly. how the hell to clean it?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm sure its the brake pads . Are they located in the corners of the spokes?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure its the brake pads . Are they located in the corners of the spokes?
In some of them. and the 'drips' are in some of the spaces beween each spoke (i have the sport wheels)

Hoping it's a brake dust cake i ordered Meguiar's wheel brightener, it's supposed to be good against that. But the black magic stuff i used has absolutely no effect

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have the same thing, it's like gritty or something. It's brake pad in my case.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I clean it every 2 days

·
Registered
280 Posts
Brakes. My car does the same thing, which is the only reason I removed the silver LSS (they have slicks now anyway) and went with black touring wheels. I couldn't stand flossing the split spokes with a sponge every time I drove it. I want to drive my car, not floss the wheels every hour of drive time! The Elise brake pads drag so much that they produce tons (literally, thousands of pounds!) of dust. It really is a pain in the butt.

Oh the price you pay for this silly little car that makes us all smile :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brakes. My car does the same thing, which is the only reason I removed the silver LSS (they have slicks now anyway) and went with black touring wheels. I couldn't stand flossing the split spokes with a sponge every time I drove it. I want to drive my car, not floss the wheels every hour of drive time! The Elise brake pads drag so much that they produce tons (literally, thousands of pounds!) of dust. It really is a pain in the butt.

Oh the price you pay for this silly little car that makes us all smile :)
But how can i clean the huge mess my car has?

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
Simple Green them liberally, let them soak, then have at it. Typical of most "fancy' wheels now a days. PIA to keep clean. I just pressure wash the crap out of them after track days. Nothing lasts forever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts