The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
London 2008: Mastretta MXT will be Mexico's first homegrown car - Autoblog

Be sure to check out the high res gallery for alternate views.

The car is fitted with a Ford duratec with 240 bhp and the overall weight is just under 2000 lbs. I think it looks great. If it were available "with a removable top" and/or "at all in the US", I'd be intrigued to say the least.

Still, I plan on retiring in Mexico so this bodes well for my long term plans. Maybe after I lose my hair and don't want my toupee to fly away.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Id paint the headlights and air damn, but over all not bad.

Its road handling specs are what im interested in. If released in the US it could be strong competition for the Elise/Exige

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
how many Peso's? Wow nice power to weight and turbo! I guess all that practice building cars for everybody else (VW for instance) paid off.

edit: I see they claim it's turbo and then later supercharged? which one? plus the tire sizes, 205F/235R look pretty good. Did they have anyone 6ft tall sit in it? It still needs help in the looks department for any real kind of money.

·
Registered
943 Posts
London 2008: Mastretta MXT will be Mexico's first homegrown car - Autoblog

Be sure to check out the high res gallery for alternate views.

The car is fitted with a Ford duratec with 240 bhp and the overall weight is just under 2000 lbs. I think it looks great. If it were available "with a removable top" and/or "at all in the US", I'd be intrigued to say the least.

Still, I plan on retiring in Mexico so this bodes well for my long term plans. Maybe after I lose my hair and don't want my toupee to fly away.

Oh, there will be plenty of them in America... just not legally! rotflrotflrotflrotfl

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...this car looks totally designed as a direct competitor to the elise/exige...i'm very interested in seeing it hit the market, unfortunately the manufacturer's website appears to be down at the moment...

http://mastrettadesign.com

...i've seen weights listed at under 2000 and at 2200, and power listed at 200 and 240...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I guess all that practice building cars for everybody else (VW for instance) paid off.
Heh. I owned a Mexico-produced Jetta and if you think you'll escape bad electronics, think again. Next time you see a Jetta or a Beetle on the road, see if they have either a burned out headlight or tail light. I had to keep bulbs in stock to keep up. Also, Chrysler had recalls on the Mexican-built PT Cruisers...

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Looks like a mix of about four cars. The Opel, Lotus being the most apparent. Unfortunately, the bits and pieces seem to fight each other and aren't very cohesive.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Looks like failed birth control between Gallardo & Elise-

The gallery pics just aren't working for me- I'd have to see it in person-

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I like the car from certain angles but the rear view killed it for me. My wife does not like it at all. Says the lines are too rigid and straight.

The power to weight sounds good though! I wonder what type of suspension setup this car will have?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I like the car from certain angles but the rear view killed it for me. My wife does not like it at all. Says the lines are too rigid and straight.

The power to weight sounds good though! I wonder what type of suspension setup this car will have?
I though the view of that hideous looking front end was the worst. The front clam (or hood, whatever it is in this thing) looks like it was modeled after a Pringles potato chip.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I was less than enthused watching a video of it going around a track. It sounds very uninspiring and the interior make that of the Elise look expensive. And at $55K, the choice between the two is not a tough one.

YouTube - Mastretta Mxt

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I was less than enthused watching a video of it going around a track. It sounds very uninspiring and the interior make that of the Elise look expensive. And at $55K, the choice between the two is not a tough one.

YouTube - Mastretta Mxt
Wow. How boring. I think I could beat it with the Corolla. I know I have taken some turns faster than that in it. I agree with your comment about the sound too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Why they would choose a NICHE vehicle to be the first car they produce is odd.

If that vehicle was sold in the US for 30K it would be a good deal, but at the same price of the elise?? no way. The exterior looks like it was put together by a 10 year old with his first LEGO set.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
lot of heavy breathing going on in that video. lmao what's up with the camera guy?
...dude, have you ever been to mexico?..it's hot!..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts