The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got a great look at the Elise at the Miami Auto Show today. Unfortunately, I had problems with my flash (not enough batteries) so I tried setting my shutter speed slower to get better pics.... they came out awful. I will get pics of it later.

Anyhow, back to the story. The car looks sweet. Not sure what color it was, but it looked somewhere between nightfall blue and magnetic blue (as per lotuscars.com). There was no bump up front... not sure if they resolved the tumor issue or what, but the car looks fine now. The interior was pretty sweet looking... black and blue suede leather seats and black suede dashboard. It was insane. Didn't look like it would add all that much weight to the car, either... the padding in the seats was extremely scant.

By the way, for any of you big guys, I'm 6'2½ and 230# and I got into the car relatively easily... of course, I'm 29 years old and pretty athletic, so I'm not like these old men you see in videos online taking 2 minutes to get in. The frame is a bit high and wide beneath the door, and the seat is REALLY low to the ground, making it a bit awkward, but I managed to get in in about 10 seconds. You could also pretty much do a "Dukes of Hazard" maneuver if you're agile enough and hop right in. The doors are really low.

Prestige is gonna have the car for a few days after the auto show. I'm going to pass by there and give it a test drive within the next week or two. At the same time, I'll be sure to get some pics in the light of day, at which time I'll post them for you guys and give you whatever info I can about the ride!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The reason the bump wasn't there, is because you were looking at the 111s right? I am sure that it had the rover engine, and you were looking at a test car (not fed version). Clyde also said in another post that they have redone the slope above the vents to make room for the brake booster. That car (fed version) will debut at the LA auto show. Interior will be different also.

·
Registered
156 Posts
transio said:
Ok, I got a great look at the Elise at the Miami Auto Show today. Unfortunately, I had problems with my flash (not enough batteries) so I tried setting my shutter speed slower to get better pics.... they came out awful. I will get pics of it later.

Anyhow, back to the story. The car looks sweet. Not sure what color it was, but it looked somewhere between nightfall blue and magnetic blue (as per lotuscars.com). There was no bump up front... not sure if they resolved the tumor issue or what, but the car looks fine now. The interior was pretty sweet looking... black and blue suede leather seats and black suede dashboard. It was insane. Didn't look like it would add all that much weight to the car, either... the padding in the seats was extremely scant.
Awesome! How easy is it to get to sit in one of them?

I have a deposit down at Palm Beach Motor cars and really want to try it out in perosn.

Could you just walk up and plop into it? Or did you have a prior arrangement?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told that it was the fed spec elise with the GT-S engine. Of course, I don't believe 99% of what auto-show girls tell me. She told me I couldn't sit in the car... she was wrong about that, too ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was at the Miami show on Sat. The car is a Euro spec 111s, NOT a US spec federal car (didn't you guys notice the wind-up windows?). Not sure what blue it was, but it was one of those dark blues. Looked good. It was behind the ropes, just like the Lamborghinis, so you cannot just hop in.

Just hang in there for the US spec car in L.A. in Jan!

·
Registered
156 Posts
transio said:
I was told that it was the fed spec elise with the GT-S engine. Of course, I don't believe 99% of what auto-show girls tell me. She told me I couldn't sit in the car... she was wrong about that, too ;)
How did you get in? Just walk up, open there door, and get in?

I don't want to pay the entrance fee if I can't sit in my new baby! :p

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The owner's son was there and recognized me from when I put my deposit on the car sight unseen.

·
Registered
156 Posts
transio said:
The owner's son was there and recognized me from when I put my deposit on the car sight unseen.
I'll see if they let me sit in it. I don't see why they wouldn't.

A dealer makes almost 50% of their money from service. If they let me sit in the car, I'll bring my Elise to their dealership for service.

This is after all a hand-built British car, I would imagine it being in the shop once or twice for warranty work.

Sounds like a fair deal. =)

I'm correct in assuming that this is Prestige Motors car?

I didn't put a deposit down at Prestige because they wouldn't lower their dealer fee. (I only paid $199 at Palm Beach)

I'll bring me letter confirming my deposit to show that I'm serious.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eek... I didn't happen to ask them about dealer fee... what was the number they quoted you? I hope I don't get charged too much on the back end.

·
Registered
156 Posts
transio said:
Eek... I didn't happen to ask them about dealer fee... what was the number they quoted you? I hope I don't get charged too much on the back end.
Collection was charging $468, Prestige was about the same. Well over $400.

That is why I went with Palm Beach Motor cars, they only charged me $199.

Neither the Collection or Prestige would budge on the fee.

I still am amazed they would lose the sale of a $40k car over $250 dollars.

I talked about it in this <a href="http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1037">thread</a>.

I could have been #16 at the Collection and pay the fee, or be #31 at Palm Beach and not pay the outrageous fee.

I went went with Palm Beach, I didn't feel right paying over $200. It was the principle for me (I'm damn sturborn :p ) .

·
Registered
156 Posts
transio said:
But I got #1 at Prestige.... wouldn't that be worth paying the fee for you?
I could have been #7 at Prestige, =) I can wait a little bit.

I wanted the car in September, so #31 is fine with me. (All the bugs will be worked out by then. :p )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts