The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy!

I know I'm not the only one here with a Miata ;) so I'll pose my n00bish question after not finding my answers in a search.

Considering an Elise. Wife says, "OK, but the Miata has to go". :(

I've had three Miatas and absolutely loved them (a '90, a '95 R, and my '91 Italia). But, I've just about modded to the end of the road and feel I may be ready to step-up.

So for those of you who have a Miata and have a driven an Elise, give me your impressions.

I know, it's really an "apples to oranges" question, but it's still a relevant question to my life.

My driving habits include some pretty "aggresive" street driving, auto-xes and track days.

I use the Miata as a daily driver anytime the weather allows the top to come down When I lived in TN, that was everyday excluding about about a month-a-half out of the year. I also averaged 75 miles a day driving the Miata through twisties and city traffic.

Now that I trapped (at least for now) in Ohio, the Miata doesn't see near as much duty, although I would love for it to see more. Currently, my "commute" is a paltry 10 miles through city traffic.

My Miata is set-up with Ground Controls and Konis, heavier sways et al, and I run it in "full hard" almost all the time. "sports-car stiffness" is not a big concern for me in terms of drivability, because I think a sports car should be stiff. :D Nonetheless, feel free to compare the Miata and Elise kidney-pounding attributes.

Just for reference, I also own or have owned several other "performance" cars, including most recently a 2002 MINI Cooper and a 1988 Mazda 323 GTX.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Suspension wise it sounds like your miatas are identical to mine. Ground controls and in my case revalved koni's.

I've only driven a Euro Elise, but it felt great, even more "go-kart" like than the miata. The feel of the Elise is much more "race car".... I loved it. I took it out at Lotus USA on their "test track" ( read ring road around the building) so it wasnt like I was able to really get on her, but it felt just as responsive as the well set up miata, and the "road feel" was superior.

I think you'll really love the Elise.

PS, if anyone on "team pointless" is looking for a cool miata, I have some for sale ( shamless plug) clickey my cardomain link below and SALE away.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
B3ND3R said:
Ah nuts, I just realized I likely posted this to the wrong forum. Feel free to move.
This is the correct forum. Welcome. Listen to Jenn!

The Miata is a great bang for the buck, there are a lot of them, good community support, easy to mod. A lot depends if you like being more different, or one of the crowd. There are lots of Miatas and very few Elises. And of course the price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We took the 'tater almost 2800 miles on a two week tour of Route66 two years ago.

Is that even a remote possibility in the Elise?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Now that I cant tell you as I dont know yet. But the boys on SELOC ( english elise bb) sure do drive all over gods green eart, as someone pointed out several SELOC members have 100,000 miles on their rover motor elises. We can only hope the Federal version will be a solid mechanical car.

As far as comfort driving cross country, compared to a miata? Hmmm..well if you run your koni's full stiff and have heavier springs then I'd say yes you could take her across country. Just make sure you can pack all your clothes in one duffle bag or dont carry a passenger and carry all your stuff in the side seat. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OneFastMiata said:
PS, if anyone on "team pointless" is looking for a cool miata, I have some for sale ( shamless plug) clickey my cardomain link below and SALE away.
Oh! Hey Jenn! Didn't realize that was you and your (in)famous 'tater. :eek:

I know of noone who is looking right now, but I'll keep my ears open (if you promise to do the same if/when you hear of someone looking for an Italia LOL )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
B3ND3R said:
We took the 'tater almost 2800 miles on a two week tour of Route66 two years ago.

Is that even a remote possibility in the Elise?
LOL

Well, the obvious secret is to use soft-sided luggage. Both my wife and I made the two week trip with only a backpack and a duffle bag. :D

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Uh oh...you know me. Do I know you? Did I do something bad to you? IF so Im sorry, hehe ;)

PS, welcome to the board. I think you'll find these guys are all nice ( well most of them anyway ;) )and love the Elise as much as we love our miatas.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Ah ok, cool, me just getting out of prison recently and all, you never know. :p

If it makes you feel any better about the Elise, Im selling some of my beloved miatas to buy mine too. And I LOVE my miatas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Now that I cant tell you as I dont know yet. But the boys on SELOC ( english elise bb) sure do drive all over gods green eart, as someone pointed out several SELOC members have 100,000 miles on their rover motor elises. We can only hope the Federal version will be a solid mechanical car.
Hi

I use my Rover Elise Mk1 als daily transport. My car has something in high 80 kmiles on the clock (counting in kilometers). no major probs 'till now.

There ist enough space for 2 peoples luagage for 2 week holiday. Some of the english even take a tent with them. smart packing is everthing. :cool:

The new/US Elise has even more comfortable seats as the thin Mk1 leather seats.

If you drive all day long with open top, the sun is the only problem:D

Regards
Piple

·
Registered
138 Posts
Top Down

I am wondering about the open air feeling you get with the Elise. I guess you wouldn't notice the back window at all. But for those of you have driven both is there a difference?

Also I guess that back window can be taken out. Can you drive it with the Hardtop without the window? I love driving my miata with the back window down in the rain.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Cal and Buck,
The car with the mesh screen is a S1 111S. On the S1 the rear window was removeable. The S2 series window is not removeable without quite a bit of work.

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an S1 Elise, and she has a 2001 Miata 1.8SE (wood inside and big shiny wheels). I've been driving her Miata a lot and I really like it. The controls feel lighter than the Elise, but the car feels heavier. Its a lot easier to get in and out of the Miata, the roof just drops down, the trunk has lots of space, its just much more convenient.

This weekend we drove the Elise a lot (mountain roads), and mostly I let her drive, as she hasn't had much experience in it.

The reaction was a huge grin, lots of wow-comments and after letting it rip up a hill she was ecstatic. The Elise feels so much more alive, it communicates and responds like a race car.

Nobody else notices the Miata. Everyone goes crazy over the Elise, practice your instant history and specs of the car, as you will tell it every time you buy gas, stop at a red light, or park.

Last year we drove from San Francisco to Los Angeles, with some complaints about not enough changes of clothes for a Buttonwillow track day and long weekend visit to Hermosa Beach!
However she has now figured out that if she buys silk clothes then she can jam them in her crash helmet, since with two helmets in the trunk (they only just fit) there is no room for anything else....

I'm looking forward to some Elise company on the streets once deliveries start :)

Also - if you remove the rear window you will get a LOT of hot air coming forward into the cockpit from the engine. I've done this at the track, but my crash helmet got hot..... There is plenty of heat coming in around the windshield from the radiator outlet already.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fastspider said:
I have an S1 Elise, and she has a 2001 Miata 1.8SE (wood inside and big shiny wheels). I've been driving her Miata a lot and I really like it...

...Nobody else notices the Miata. Everyone goes crazy over the Elise, practice your instant history and specs of the car, as you will tell it every time you buy gas, stop at a red light, or park.
While I am certain very few things get "looks" like the Elise, my modded Miata Italia is no slouch in the looks department, either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
B3ND3R (funniest name I ever typed--- are you some type of a robot? -)

I also have my third MX 5. Actually it `s one year older then my early Elise and I am very happy that I did not sell it because it looks like a British Roadster but it is build in Japanese quality.

It has a 1,6 l engine and got a 0,6 bar turbocharger together with a charge cooler from an Audi turbo engine,plus many other mods.
So far this MX 5 after 50 k miles only needed a new exhaust manifold.

The Elise is my toy car and I leave it in the garage when the weather forecast is not the best.

My wife prefers to drive the MX 5 because this car is more comfortable and less nosy.
When sitting in the passenger seat she is screaming permanently and I really get nervous and start to make very stupid driving mistakes.

Therefore keep your Miata and get the Elise alone for yourself.

This might also be an economical solution because having a reliable second roaster leaves you enough time to maintain the Elise by DIY work or you have time to look for help of other Elisefans. And then you do not risk to become mad when you need Lotus spare parts which you never get before 4 weeks waiting time, and mostly it is even more than 4 months.

Cheers

Hartmut

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Hartmut said:
When sitting in the passenger seat she is screaming permanently and I really get nervous and start to make very stupid driving mistakes.

Cheers

Hartmut
Yours does that too? Whenever my g/f's in the passenger seat of my 330i, we can be a half mile behind other traffic, but the second she see's a brake light come on she shouts: "THEY'RE STOPPING!!!" and makes a violent thrust for her imaginary brake pedal. That crap annoys the hell out of me, but apparently it's involuntary. I took her out in the Ardent demonstrator and it was twice as bad- she was looney toons in that car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts