The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long winter and rainy Spring in the Midwest, the weather finally cleared up and it was time to dust off the old Elise and take her for a spin. I opened the door and was greeted by a putrid smell. I immediately suspected that something had nested in the car and it didn't take long before my suspicions were confirmed. I grabbed my trusty allen key and removed the front panels, removed the hose that connected to the AC plenums and stuck my hand inside to find a handful of nesting material and mouse turds. Tried as I did, there was no remedying the situation. At last, I turned to insurance and I'm pleased to report that all of the damage was covered. Suffice it to say that it took Cleveland Motor Sports more than 15 hours to remove the dashboard and front clam. We're looking at new airbags, a new sound system, and various other components, such as insulation and whatnot, not to mention all of the salvageable parts being completely detailed and disinfected. I'm guesstimating at least $12k to $20k in parts and labor. Here's a photo of the nest they found behind the passenger's side airbag. The adjuster advised me that he looked into writing the car off as a total loss, given that it was a 2006 and there was bound to be significant depreciation; however, much to his amazement (and to mine) the car I bought for $38k was appraised at $44k.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to hear this, no fun I'm sure.

I did a websearch for articles about how to stop this in future, and found a few websites with advice.
There are a few choices, depending on your situation, some will apply, some won't.
I was interested to see there are ultrasonic devices that can plug in the wall (or even into a cigarette lighter) that might help (in future).

·
Illegal Alien
5,012 Posts
My sons NC Miata just got eaten by rodents, while in his garage. Insurance is covering. I recently read of a class action suit against Honda for using rodent attracting soy based insulation in the wiring that they spec.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Dang. I had just one die up in the front wheelwell and it took a year for the smell to clear. But it did.

Maybe Nature’s way of telling me to drive the car more?

It will work out, but not nearly as good a story as hitting a tire wall backwards. Or maybe it is.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Those tiny fur bags get into everything and leave evidence everywhere. Very glad that the work was covered!

For prevention, I've tried those ultrasonic devices mentioned above and I've also got in the garage a couple of rubber snakes. The rubber snakes seemed of greater help than the ultrasonic devices; but eventually I think the mice figured out that those particular snakes weren't a threat. What seems to have kept them away for the last 1.5 years, however, was replacing the torn rubber seal on the bottom of the garage door. That so far has kept both the mice and the black rat snakes (coming in after the mice) out of the garage.

·
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both. I actually consulted with a representative from Victor--the mousetrap company. I'm taking all four recommended approaches: visual, sonic and scent repellents, as well as kill traps. In other words, I spent a small fortune on mousetraps, an industrial grade ultrasonic emitter, bags of peppermint oil granules, and rubber snakes. The good news is that I love the smell of peppermint and that the investment in these products was still cheaper than my insurance deductible. The only other option, which would be supremely effective, is a barn cat, but they can be destructive in their own ways.

Sorry to hear this. Those tiny fur bags get into everything and leave evidence everywhere. Very glad that the work was covered!

For prevention, I've tried those ultrasonic devices mentioned above and I've also got in the garage a couple of rubber snakes. The rubber snakes seemed of greater help than the ultrasonic devices; but eventually I think the mice figured out that those particular snakes weren't a threat. What seems to have kept them away for the last 1.5 years, however, was replacing the torn rubber seal on the bottom of the garage door. That so far has kept both the mice and the black rat snakes (coming in after the mice) out of the garage.
Sorry to hear this, no fun I'm sure.

I did a websearch for articles about how to stop this in future, and found a few websites with advice.
There are a few choices, depending on your situation, some will apply, some won't.
I was interested to see there are ultrasonic devices that can plug in the wall (or even into a cigarette lighter) that might help (in future).

Reactions: Kubera

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
We have found the mice really like dog food. My Exige was sitting in the garage for a short while. The next time I was going to tilt the clam, I found about a handful or two of dog food in the boot.

In the past, I was told that moth balls work well. My wife read that peppermint oil is best. She routinely puts peppermint oil all over the inside of the RV.

Later,
Eldon

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,150 Posts
+1 for a Cat! You might even want 2 cats, they will hunt down any pest!

·
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The trouble with cats is that they can do their own damage. In the winter months, they can curl up under your hood. They can claw your soft top to shreds, not to mention piss on it. And worse yet, I'm allergic.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The trouble with cats is that they can do their own damage. In the winter months, they can curl up under your hood. They can claw your soft top to shreds, not to mention piss on it. And worse yet, I'm allergic.
I always find my damn cats using my soft top as a bed! -eek- I'm always chasing them out of the garage, not to mention the micro scratches they put on the paint finish from their paws. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
761 Posts
In winter, the cat leaves the car alone - he has a heated bed in a beer box to sleep in. In summer, however, he has decided that the hollow between left front fender and left front access panel is a fine place to settle down for the night (he was sitting on the top, but I've been leaving the top in the boot most of the time. A few grubby cat paw prints and cat hairs on the front clam are the worst of the damage.

I've found mice he killed in the garage, but never had mouse damage on anything in the garage. He's friendly, too. As long as my garage stays rodent-free, he keeps getting cat food.

·
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What stops the mice from climbing the posts? They climb up the door jams, the legs of my work bench, etc.

If you have the room, get a 4 post lift and store the car in the air.

Reactions: mattjk

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
What stops the mice from climbing the posts? They climb up the door jams, the legs of my work bench, etc.
Mice can jump a foot or so into the air as well as climb some. The posts of most lifts are metal and smooth, with the first rungs to hold the platform several feet up (might have to check a specific lift as this may not be the case will all of them). I'm not sure a mouse could climb that. Not to say it couldn't climb up the wall and jump to the car, but not likely. You also get the added benefit of easy oil changes.

Regardless - sorry you're having to go through this.

·
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't feel too badly for me. It sucks being without the car, but my deductible on the insurance claim was only $250. So in other words, I get the car fully inspected from nose to tail, a complete detailing of the car in every nook and cranny, a new sound system, fresh airbags, and whatever else the car needs for the price of an oil change and car wash. Not too shabby, all things considered. In fact, I'm pretty pleased to know that my '06 is getting a complete overhaul, especially considering the amount we have to pay for insurance premiums on a car we can only drive for four months a year. I still have under 15k miles on it. That said, had I not purchased quality insurance, this would have been devastating. Like most other folks on this site, this Elise is my dream car.

Mice can jump a foot or so into the air as well as climb some. The posts of most lifts are metal and smooth, with the first rungs to hold the platform several feet up (might have to check a specific lift as this may not be the case will all of them). I'm not sure a mouse could climb that. Not to say it couldn't climb up the wall and jump to the car, but not likely. You also get the added benefit of easy oil changes.

Regardless - sorry you're having to go through this.

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
:facepalm

I didn’t see where any mice were destroyed by the Elise. Did you run over them or park on them?

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,559 Posts
Constant fear of mine, often realized. I even saw one run out from under a seat once. Yet, to date knock on wood. No actual damage.

I was so paranoid, I just kept moving the car around, using moth balls etc... I am going to inspect vehicle in storage in NC next week. Worst fear ever some out of a way wire bit and I have to find it...

Glad your story and attitude worked out!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sprinkle 100% peppermint essential oils around the car once a month if you are storing the car in a garage where rodents can get in... :frown2:

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
216 Posts
This reminds me I should freshen the peanut butter in my traps. The A24 looks awesome. Might have to get one.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts