The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alarm just started going off in the garage.

I went out there to find out why and saw a mouse sitting right on the top of my engine/trunk lid. When it saw me, it crawled into the engine bay.

I'm going to drive the hell out of the car and hopefully shake him out now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
Mouse fricassee!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,343 Posts
Hmm. Didn't OFL have a mouse living in the car? Maybe there's something to this ... I don't know, maybe the orange glue smells good to them??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doma said:
Hmm. Didn't OFL have a mouse living in the car? Maybe there's something to this ... I don't know, maybe the orange glue smells good to them??????
She did...

Luckily I don't have any seed that they can get at and store in my car :p

The alarm just went off again a couple minutes ago... looks like my spirited drive didn't shake him loose. Almost seems like he's worthy of living in my car if he can handle that kind of driving :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
She did...

Luckily I don't have any seed that they can get at and store in my car :p

The alarm just went off again a couple minutes ago... looks like my spirited drive didn't shake him loose. Almost seems like he's worthy of living in my car if he can handle that kind of driving :huh:
Then He'll deem himself worthy enough to munch through the insulation on the wiring, before he dies, and if he dies in the car , it will be close to unuseable to the the stench of his byproducts and his corpse.

I reckon they must be getting into the cars somewhere between the port of departure to just before the dealer.
m
 

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
Joined
·
5,682 Posts
Based on these two cases, I think the new forum logo needs to be a cartoon mouse behind the wheel of an Elise, complete with leather flying ace cap and goggles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
My new home!!

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Sounds like you need a garage cat.:D

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
MickOpalak said:
Based on these two cases, I think the new forum logo needs to be a cartoon mouse behind the wheel of an Elise, complete with leather flying ace cap and goggles.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
My alarm just started going off in the garage.

I went out there to find out why and saw a mouse sitting right on the top of my engine/trunk lid. When it saw me, it crawled into the engine bay.

I'm going to drive the hell out of the car and hopefully shake him out now.
Let me get this straight...

You got out of bed at 4a.m. to go out into the bitter cold and driv the hell out of your car. THAT is true love.

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
adamant said:
LOL yeah Dangermouse, British AND owns a small car :D
AND it's the right colour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
The alarm just went off again a couple minutes ago... looks like my spirited drive didn't shake him loose. Almost seems like he's worthy of living in my car if he can handle that kind of driving :huh:
Having just paid a $430 repair bill on the Camry (thanks to the Mouse's cousin), I would encourage you to reconsider and take a more evictive approach.

A mouse chewed through the cabin air intake filter and took up residence somewhere in the air duct system. At some point, it expired, and within a day or two the car smelled like Death in full.. I haven't smelled anything that revolting since a possum died behind the water heater.

Saying it stank or that it was putrid doesn't do it justice.. 30 seconds in that car with the windows down would have anyone reaching for the sick sack. We drove it to the Toyota dealer, heads out of the window, and still didn't want to eat for a day after.

The rodent had chewed threw a few minor pieces, deposited remains in the blower motor, and who knows what else. They replaced a lot of parts, but I'm convinced there was a "hazard duty" labor charge in there as well. Since it was out-of-warranty work, I asked if I could have the replaced parts. They said "no".

To this day, the car is drivable but still smells less than new, like a stuffy house. Maybe it's just the memory.

In any case, I'd evict that mouse with extreme predjudice before he makes a more defensible home in the Elise and takes up permanent residence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Check your air filter. I've seen mice build nests there in lots of cars.

I've smelled burning flesh and opened the air filter only to find a whole family of mice several times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ground Loop said:
Having just paid a $430 repair bill on the Camry (thanks to the Mouse's cousin), I would encourage you to reconsider and take a more evictive approach.

A mouse chewed through the cabin air intake filter and took up residence somewhere in the air duct system. At some point, it expired, and within a day or two the car smelled like Death in full.. I haven't smelled anything that revolting since a possum died behind the water heater.

Saying it stank or that it was putrid doesn't do it justice.. 30 seconds in that car with the windows down would have anyone reaching for the sick sack. We drove it to the Toyota dealer, heads out of the window, and still didn't want to eat for a day after.

The rodent had chewed threw a few minor pieces, deposited remains in the blower motor, and who knows what else. They replaced a lot of parts, but I'm convinced there was a "hazard duty" labor charge in there as well. Since it was out-of-warranty work, I asked if I could have the replaced parts. They said "no".

To this day, the car is drivable but still smells less than new, like a stuffy house. Maybe it's just the memory.

In any case, I'd evict that mouse with extreme predjudice before he makes a more defensible home in the Elise and takes up permanent residence.
That was more a joke than anything.


I'm putting no-kill traps in the garage tonight and will leave the car outside in the cold tomorrow if he still doesn't go away. Hopefully that will make him seek shelter some place warmer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
186 Posts
I have had great success in keeping all rodents out my Chicago garage by placing mothballs around the interior perimeter, under the cars, and in the exhaust pipe (of the cars in storage). Simply put dozen or so mothballs in a paper bowl by the entrance(s) and one/two bowls under the car (one toward each end). I wrap a couple in a rag and place it into the exhaust. Of course, these need to be removed before flight! ;) Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
DesignIt said:
Sounds like you need a garage cat.:D

John
Not a good idea. I have several "garage cats", they come and go as they please via the dog door. The cats are just as bad - they love to climb on and curl up for naps on a warm engine... Catprints EVERYWHERE! I had to buy a cheap car cover the second day I had the car just to eliminate paw prints. I've since replaced el cheapo with the cover that actually fits.

Mothballs sound good. I wonder if I can add a couple of pockets to the edges of the car cover and place mothballs inside them? Or perhaps just get some of those nicely scented closet moth repellent hangers and hang them on the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Caught the mouse last night.

I gave him a ride in the Elise to set him free in a field about a mile from my house. I figured he was worthy of a ride in the passenger compartment after hanging around for some pretty crazy rides wherever he was hiding before :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,607 Posts
Regarding my mouse....


We park both elises in the garage side by side. The other day I pulled the orange car out ( the one the Interstate travelling mouse had been living in) and discovered a mouse flatter than a pancake and crispy like a cracker. He had been under the tire.
I dont know HOW he got run over. You wouldnt think a mouse would just stand there. Maybe he was in the wheel well and tried to jump out while I was parking? Dunno. Maybe it wasn't interstate mouse...maybe it was one of his siblings?

If it was ISM.....


RIP ISM 2004-2004
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top