The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’ve got some cool mod ideas I’m going to document along with the turbo charging of my car incase anyone is interested. Today is Sammy’s fuel rail and new injectors. By the way it is amazing quality I was highly impressed, I’m also dropping the fuel tank to install a new pump I’ll post those pics soon, so stay tuned I’ll be adding more

Attachments

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
What year car are you driving? What ECU you planning on running? What turbo setup? What turbo specs/housing/trim, etc?

Good luck! :)

Oh, and it's Smaay ;)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Who is installing it? (F1, drumroll please...)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year car are you driving? What ECU you planning on running? What turbo setup? What turbo specs/housing/trim, etc?

Good luck! :)

Oh, and it's Smaay ;)
Ok well the turbo modified T3 T4 it may change but for now I want to keep the exact specs to myself but I made an excel spreadsheet I’ll post here for people interested in turbo charging any car. I used two different popular calculation methods to derive the fluid flow rate and with these graphs just lay them over any compressor maps your thinking of using.

Other than that I have a 2005 Elise and I was planning on using a piggyback, although I was told by Ronin that I won’t be able to compensate for the ecu’s large scale map changes as a result of the fake input the piggyback will feed it. My personal opinion that the ecu will eventually run out of adjustability so it will just take longer to tune and you’ll have to keep an eye on it. But according to Frank it’s just not possible although he can’t describe entirely how it works he’s just deemed it impossible. I started a thread to kind of discuss piggyback options.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160/phone-call-ronin-57837/
<O:p
Oh and the fuel rail fittings rock!

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who is installing it? (F1, drumroll please...)

I’m installing the setup I like doing my own work, plus when I’m at work if I pick up tool around the union I’m getting a grievance against engineering, so it’s my opportunity to get a little dirty

What did the F1 mean?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I had a lot of trouble finding a post with the correct size serpentine belt to delete the A/C compressor I used some trial and error and here is what I came up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
That's great to hear you're installing it yourself. "F1" was in reference to F1_DNA's experience with Monkey Wrench Racing's attempt to install a turbo on his car. Let's just say they struggled a bit.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To remove the tank Fist disconnect the fuel supply line from the sending unit via the access door behind the driver seat, and from above the car also unhook the vent line and fill tube from the tank. Underneath there are two shields to take down. The first aero shield with (6) bolts with an 8mm head size. After the shield is off take the throttle cable and disconnect it from the throttle body. Next disconnect the shifter cables from the trans and remove the quick attachments to there bracket. Underneath the vehicle you will need to disconnect the parking brake cable from the Y attachment that splits it to the left and right rear wheel. The 2<SUP>nd</SUP> piece of sheet metal is like a grate above the aero shield has several bolts about 12 consisting of 13mm, 10mm and 17mm head fasteners. You will need a 13mm, and 17mm wrench for the rear most bolts. Once the last piece is off, Then your actually at the tank itself secured by (6) bolts 4 13mm, and 2 10mm head. Getting the fuel pump sending unit out was kind of tricky it’s a real snug fit I kept rotating back and forth for about 10 min before it came free. Hope this was some help to anyone else

Attachments

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Bender,
Being that you have a throttle cable, you must have a 05, however my tank is very different. Have you had warranty work for your tank or did you paint it yourself. In your pictures it looks green, my tank is raw stainless. I am no longer using it since I pu a fuelcell bladder in but i was just wondering after I saw your pictures.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Is that a Walbro 255lph fuel pump?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bender,
Being that you have a throttle cable, you must have a 05, however my tank is very different. Have you had warranty work for your tank or did you paint it yourself. In your pictures it looks green, my tank is raw stainless. I am no longer using it since I pu a fuelcell bladder in but i was just wondering after I saw your pictures.
Yep it's green no warranty work that's pretty weird.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I got the same fuel pump. If you haven't heard already, its also known as "Whinebro" :panic:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the same fuel pump. If you haven't heard already, its also known as "Whinebro" :panic:
Yeah i've used this same fuel pump on all my DSM's as well, it's noisy but can make power

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bender,
Curious did you put the cell under the car or the trunk?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So new mod I blocked off the coolant passageway in the lower half of the throttle body with JB weld, and looped the coolant lines that would flow thru the ports to each other by eliminating the forward most line in vehicle.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 185 Posts