The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Chasecam setup that's integrated into my Traqmate. Other than the fairly low quality I'm very happy with the setup. I have the camera in car, mounted on the rear window behind the seats. Love that I can see myself in the interior - but for the future I'm adding a Contour camera on the nose to give a nice, big HD shot of everything.

One thing that's great about the PDR with the Chasecam is that it has an external mic input. I have some old PC mics around (very basic ones) that I'm going to shove into the engine bay somewhere to get a better sound (the mic on the Chasecam isn't bad but it isn't great either).

Has anyone tried this? I have a Larini SE and am wondering where to place the mic, near the exhaust or more in the engine bay. I'm obviously worried about clipping the audio if I get it too close to the source (just too loud) and I don't think I have any real gain controls on the PDR.

Input welcome...

-Ross

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The PDR does include full gain control, on each channel too. You can adjust it from off to all the way up to 11.

And yes, I have done the engine bay mic.

p.s. We do have HD now. :)

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The PDR does include full gain control, on each channel too. You can adjust it from off to all the way up to 11.

And yes, I have done the engine bay mic.

p.s. We do have HD now. :)
Well, that's all great to hear. A few questions:

- I'll figure out the gain control as I assume that's just in the menus?

- (side question) how do I fully disable the G meter bars on the video? Everything I see in the menus is already turned off but it's still on

- Where in the bay did you put the mic? Suggestions?

- What pieces do I need to "upgrade" to HD? New camera, new PDR or both? Given I just bought this setup not looking to pitch it all ;-)

Thanks Randy, appreciate the quick response.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I think you'll probably go through lots of trial and error. I would first start by placing it behind the rear window to get the engine sound. The exhaust will be too loud. I personally like to hear the whine from the SC. Seeing as you have an 06 exige without SC, you may have a different sound.

The manly engine mounts video is a good example of looking at the engine and hearing that sound.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manly engine mounts video is a good example of looking at the engine and hearing that sound.
Great suggestion, know that video well (have those mounts actually). And you're right that trial-and-error are going to have to happen...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Well, that's all great to hear. A few questions:

- I'll figure out the gain control as I assume that's just in the menus?
Yes...
MENU
CONTROLS
AUDIO INPUT CONTROLS
AUDIO GAIN LEVEL
Use cursor keys to raise or lower gain for right and left channels

- (side question) how do I fully disable the G meter bars on the video? Everything I see in the menus is already turned off but it's still on
MENU
FEATURES
ON SCREEN DISPLAYS
GFORCE MODULE

At bottom of LCD it says TURN OF DISPLAY (press button 2)

- Where in the bay did you put the mic? Suggestions?
It will not matter much...only variable being intake to exhaust and what you want to hear.

- What pieces do I need to "upgrade" to HD? New camera, new PDR or both? Given I just bought this setup not looking to pitch it all ;-)

Thanks Randy, appreciate the quick response.
New system. Sorry. Nothing is the same other than the box. The new DIVA line adds full data and multiple camera with real time overlays (beyond the Gforce bars on the PDR). The SD recorder can handle 4 camera inputs. The HD is (for now) limited to a single camera. There are many other new features such as the onboard color video LCD. Instant camera view switching button (toggles presets). CAN bus.

The upgrades available to the PDR100 are a data module for adding 10hz GPS data, OBDII, and other data inputs.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great detail - to clarify

The upgrades available to the PDR100 are a data module for adding 10hz GPS data, OBDII, and other data inputs.
Given that I'm running this with a Traqmate (and have a TraqdataII) I'm already sampling at 20hz and will use the Traqmate data with RaceRenderer to overlay on the video. In short for me to upgrade to HD I'd pitch everything I just got and replace it - given that I think I'll stay put for the moment and just use my Contour (when I remember to turn it on that is!)

-Ross

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I've placed remote mic's all over the car. In the engine bay, in the boot, taped to the body above the exhaust.......you name it I put it there. Even placed a digital recorder in the boot to get best recording. Of all the places I have tried to mic the engine the Chasecam location is the best.....on the floor of the car out of the wind.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of all the places I have tried to mic the engine the Chasecam location is the best.....on the floor of the car out of the wind.
Right now mine is in the dash where the airbag used to be. The camera is between the seats - is the mic on the camera or on the PDR? Seems it's on the camera as it was picking up our conversation (don't think that could happen with the airbag cover in the way).

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Given that I'm running this with a Traqmate (and have a TraqdataII) I'm already sampling at 20hz and will use the Traqmate data with RaceRenderer to overlay on the video. In short for me to upgrade to HD I'd pitch everything I just got and replace it - given that I think I'll stay put for the moment and just use my Contour (when I remember to turn it on that is!)
That does makes sense. And as you know, the ChaseCam always turns on the car is turned on...and records when the car moves...so you don't have to remember anything. -poke-

Right now mine is in the dash where the airbag used to be. The camera is between the seats - is the mic on the camera or on the PDR? Seems it's on the camera as it was picking up our conversation (don't think that could happen with the airbag cover in the way).
The mic is in the recorder and I agree with the point that on the floor works the best. It is a very sensitive mic. Putting a mic in the camera... we tried that back around 1998. Decided it was a horrible idea due to wind noise. We quit offering that as an option.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so you don't have to remember anything.
Yup, have mine linked with the Traqmate to start when it starts - one of the things I love about it.

The mic is in the recorder and I agree with the point that on the floor works the best. It is a very sensitive mic. Putting a mic in the camera... we tried that back around 1998. Decided it was a horrible idea due to wind noise. We quit offering that as an option.
Interesting, obviously it is VERY sensitive to be picking up our voices from behind the airbag cover! Can see how a mic on the camera wouldn't work due to wind - so hard to get good audio from a moving car.

How about a trade-in program for my system to a new HD? I'd be willing to go trade+$20 - I mean that's totally fair, right Randy??? :)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
dont' do the engine bay.. I've done it. like you said its way to loud. mic is not sensitive enough to pick up sound at those decibels.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Check out my video in my sig line for my external mic set up. I taped my mono-mic next to the roof brakelight.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
That seemed to be a good location. Out of the wind but still picked up the engine sound well. Does the GoPro have a stereo mike input?

·
Registered
380 Posts
That seemed to be a good location. Out of the wind but still picked up the engine sound well. Does the GoPro have a stereo mike input?
Yes, 3.5mm external mic input on the Gopro Hero2. The custom mono-mic worked great, definetely beat out the original Olympus one I had before. Only regret I had was that I did not purchase a longer cord..

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and a lot of vodka...
That I've got!

Picked up a very cheap Samson mic at BestBuy on the way home. Going to put it in the engine bay first and try a few locations. I'll take some foam to wrap it and can do some testing at the track over the weekend. In 3 days I'll get lots of time to play. I ran wire for it (and extra for other "stuff") last night so it won't take long to install/test.

I'll post my results when I'm done. My goal this weekend is to get a picture-in-picture video of the nose of the car in HD with a PIP from the Chasecam from inside the cockpit. Then I'll overlay all the data (revs, brakes, speed, etc, etc) using RaceRenderer. If all that works I may have to come up with an Uberpost on Traqmate/Video/Mics

-Ross

1 - 18 of 18 Posts