The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to use the microphone on the Los Angeles MP72 ?. I suspect it may only be for the Toronto MP73 but just want to make sure I'm not missing the obvious

Thanks

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Nah it's for our radios...If you look in the radio's manual (comes in the truml box) there is a section on it's use. And in the back it's wiring is shown. You have to pull the radio from the dash (EZ) to access the back of the unit. I plugged in the RCA jack pack so that I could access the radio's subwoofer output channel.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it plugs in the back how do you route the wire into the cabin ? Do you calibrate the sound with the unit removed from the dash ?
Seems like a lot of work to me

·
Registered
538 Posts
We've been wondering the same thing here ...

We'll probably just pull it and see if we can figure it from there, but more detail would be great...

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay this is what you are supposed to do:

1) Remove the faceplate
2) Insert the 2 U shaped wire thingies (good engineering term there !!) into the slots between the main unit and bracket - see diagram 5 on page 145 of manual. I think they 'click' when fully seated.
3. Once seated pull these towards you, and with a little bit of wiggling the unit will slide out of the mounting bracket.

4. The male jack on the microphone connects to the female jack on the long black wire (P).
5. Connect the Input and Ground connectors on the long black wire, to the pink wiring harness connector (L) - see page 147. I did this and then slotted the pink connector into the back of the unit as per the diagram. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you which one is Input and which one is Ground.

6. The tricky bit is now balancing the unit while you attach the faceplate and perform the calibration. I managed to get the unit approx half-an-inch back into the dash, but its tight because of the microphone wire.

Once in you can perform the calibration per 32/33

For the most part this worked for me, hovever the first time I did it I kept getting a "No Microphone" error message on the faceplate display. I suspect this was either due to the fact that I had the Ground and Input wires in the wrong slots of the pink connector, or I was not getting a clean connection to the unit with the pink connector plug.

I ended up removing the wires from the plug (this took me quite a while) and attached the wires directly to the terminals on the stero unit. You have to be careful because they slide on and off very easily. However this did the trick. Unfortunately because the wires slide off the terminals very easily I couldn't put the unit back into the dash, so I had to hold the unit in one hand and the microphone in the other. When I did it this way it worked without a problem.

I did notice that the stereo unit gets very hot and was uncomfortable to hold at certain times.

If you are pretty nimble with your hands I recommend performing the calibaration without the pink connector plug, that way if you get the error message you can switch the wires around easily.

If you are viewing the unit from the back, I had the black wire on the upper right terminal and the red on the upper left terminal of the socket 'D' on the back of the unit.

Sorry if I've not used the appropriate electrical terminology, but I think you should be able to see what I mean by referring to the manual (page 144-147) and by the contents of your stereo box.

Did I notice a difference after calibrating? - Yes, but it wasn't to my liking I still performed some additional manual tweaking of my own.

Overall I think that Blaupunkt put too much money into the 'bling' and not enough into the audio electronics

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wow! Thanks for all the detail. We had figured out in general terms what to do but found ourselves sitting here asking ourselves whether it all would be worth it in the end. Sounds like the answer is maybe, but not quite. I find myself agreeing with you alot re:

Overall I think that Blaupunkt put too much money into the 'bling' and not enough into the audio electronics
A simple auxiliary input on the faceplate would have been one really handy upgrade I would have liked instead of all the flashing lights. I'm finding myself listening to the engine instead of the stereo.

(And I had just gotten the iPod cable for my 32 and hadn't even installed it yet ... ;) )

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yep, I said this in another thread: for a car that eschews bling, this radio is a blingfest. It's really something of an embarrassment!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure if the poor sound is due to the speakers or the unit itself. I know a few people have said it's probably the speakers, but I'm not so sure. I'm sure the tightness of the cockpit doesn't help the acoustics, and I think it may just be the wrong type of unit for this type of car.

4 speakers in a tiny cockpit could have a detrimental effect to the acoustics. I don't think lotus engineers spent much time on the acoustics and speaker placement settings.

One thing I noticed was that the bass subsided substantially once the car was in motion, and I'm thinking this may have something to do with engine and exhaust noise cancelling out the bass. I will be interested to see how others fare with installing a sub-woofer.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
pinmagic said:
Yep, I said this in another thread: for a car that eschews bling, this radio is a blingfest. It's really something of an embarrassment!
Yep. I don't need any flashing radio displays. The radio in the standard package is plenty good enough for me, but the first thing I did with it was to figure out how to turn off the "dancing" display...

·
Registered
178 Posts
biobaggie said:
One thing I noticed was that the bass subsided substantially once the car was in motion, and I'm thinking this may have something to do with engine and exhaust noise cancelling out the bass.
This is an artifact of human hearing called masking. If there's a lot of sound in a given range of frequencies, it can mask other sounds in the same range. No obvious fix for all conditions, unless somebody has made an adaptive system for car noise, which I've never heard of. Otherwise, must just crank up the bass further until it is OK despite the engine noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts