The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bummer man, if it's true. I test drove there, and they got me a new windshield recently. Seemed like a nice group.

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,696 Posts
STL Dealerships

I was wondering, when I saw the announcement of the new dealer, how STL could support two Lotus franchises.

I bought my Europa TC from Checkpoint America back in 1980. I had service done there, and later at the Toyota/Lotus dealer on Manchester and Lindbergh. I was surprised to see the dealership way out in St. Charles when I came back to town several years ago. I never saw any indication that there was enough business for anything more than one small Lotus dealership. I'd be happy if the upcoming new products could help that out, though - and not just in STL.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
they did nothing but wrong by me.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I grew up in STL and lived there for 16 years. I'm surprised there is even one lotus dealer. It much more of a camaro market. Heck, I had a Camaro when I lived there.

Not saying there aren't lotus lovers there, just not enough to support a dealership. I'm not aware of any road courses anywhere in the area.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Adding additional dealerships in already occupied markets is not a long term solution to Lotus' issues. It only serves to devalue the brand for the existing network as sales fall per location and the ownership/management sees less reason to back the brand. Better dealers with a more active and aggressive involvement in the community and commitment to brand knowledge and representation is the best way to navigate the market. Find markets without representation if you want to add locations but doubling up is a bad idea unless there is solid demographic data to back up such expansion.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I bought my Elise from Mid-Rivers in 2005. I have always been pleased with the sales and service. The drive across I-70 from KC, not so much. I have never understood why St. Louis got a second dealership while we are still waiting for our first. I may not need an Evora as soon as I thought.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The story I got about Midrivers is that they were owned by one of the bigest auto wholesalers in the area. He wanted a place in St Peters but the only way he could be there was to have a new car line. He could sell used but he had to have a new car dealership. Hence Lotus so he could sell the used cars which was the big money maker. Mike the service manager landed at St. Louis Motorsports the Lambo dealer.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
........by the way there was a road course in the 1970s in Wientsville (sp) but it may be closed now. They use to race alot of SCCA many years ago.

Too bad, its flat enough and land is relatively cheap. So I don't see why they don't build a course.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I grew up in STL and lived there for 16 years. I'm surprised there is even one lotus dealer. It much more of a camaro market. Heck, I had a Camaro when I lived there.

Not saying there aren't lotus lovers there, just not enough to support a dealership. I'm not aware of any road courses anywhere in the area.
Ever hear of Gateway Internatinal speedway? I've seen a couple of Lotus owners out there. I attend about six track days a year at Gateway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts