The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Looking at picking up an 07 Exige S used since they have depreciated like crazy with this economic climate. I plan to use this car as a DD during the Spring/Summer/Fall and then park it during the winter. I work from home full time, so I don't do a *ton* of driving.

With that said, what should be my mileage cutoff when looking for a used Exige S? I've seen some as low as a few thousand and some as high as 20k or so. Are these cars prone to massive failures past a certain mileage (assuming they were taken care of)? I have a friend with an 05 Elise at 30k with no reported problems but wanted to see if the Exige S was any different.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
If the car is taken care of, then there shouldn't be any problems. If the car has 20k miles on it, I'm sure any problems would have already been taken care of too. I have an 07 Exige S with 23,000 miles now. I bought it March '08 with 6,200 miles. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, the PPI, records and an ECU dump were all things I was going to gather, I was just wondering if these cars are prone to a particular component failure at a certain mileage.

e.g. K03 Turbos on the B5 Audi S4 exploding at 60k miles, or the automatic transfer case clip rub at 60k miles in a GMC 2500HD and things like that.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think the reason my car hasn't sold yet is the mileage. If this were almost any other sports car, 27k miles on a 4 year old car, would be quite acceptable.....

The car is dead reliable, and will go 200,000miles if properly maintained..

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna say 200,000 would be my limit. :shrug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so uninformative posts aside, it sounds like there are no known major failures at particular mileage intervals and that the cars are reasonably reliable.

Thanks for the feedback, just wanted to hear it from the horses mouth.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Ok, so uninformative posts aside, it sounds like there are no known major failures at particular mileage intervals and that the cars are reasonably reliable.

Get a bmw please

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

Yeah.. uhh, if you want something reliable, get something different.

A few months into my ownership, I found out what a sandwich plate was, and while it wasn't as complicated as I was hoping it wouldn't be (wat?) I still basically gave myself a crash course on the engine mechanics.

Half the fun is fixing/breaking ****.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If drivetrain reliability is a major concern, I would look at the Toyota Celica. Otherwise, other quality issues (e.g., falling mirrors, loose bolts) are part of the ownership "experience" of a low volume production vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Get a bmw please
No thanks but kudos on the snide remark, although I get how my post came off as me being a jerk. The "uninformative posts" comment was really only directed towards RoadDad. So, sorry about that if you thought I was directing that to you.

So for the record, I have been doing SCCA Club Racing for years now so I am not afraid to fix something or get my hands dirty.

Trust me, I have no expectations that this car is going to be a Camry, hence "reasonably reliable". I have a good amount of faith in the drivetrain because the Celica was a fairly solid car and I understand that there are stupid squeaks and rattles. Trust me, I get it. Again, all I was looking for was some feedback on if there are any known major failures like the examples I stated above.

Again thanks to those with the informative posts, this includes your first one, Tracktimeplz.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hi All,

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Just to be fair, though, you did say "Any feedback would be appreciated" and you didn't say any "informative" feedback.:shrug:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
No thanks but kudos on the snide remark, although I get how my post came off as me being a jerk. The "uninformative posts" comment was really only directed towards RoadDad.
:shrug:

Not really uninformative. If you never track or auto-x the car, it will easily last 150,000 miles. If you (or the previous owner) have driven it hard, some things will need replacement... but no more (and possibly less) than any other sports car that's been driven hard.

Things to keep in mind: the drivetrain of this car was designed for a heavier, typically daily-driven car. The lightweight car is easier on brakes, tires, and suspension pieces (under similar conditions) than just about any other sportscar. It's also a relatively simple car, and if you can turn a wrench you can do most of the maintenance yourself.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
The "uninformative posts" comment was really only directed towards RoadDad.
With that said, what should be my mileage cutoff when looking for a used Exige S?
So based on this general question that you posed, I still don't understand how my answer below was "uninformative" :shrug:.
150,000 miles.
Either way I really don't give a rats arse... just add me to your ignore list ;).

No thanks but kudos on the snide remark, although I get how my post came off as me being a jerk.
Spot on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts