The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lotus Noobie
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking at an 05 SY Lotus Elise in Orange County. The car seems fine and everything, but the mileage seems so low. It has like 2,400 miles on it and the guy said it was never tracked. There is however some wear from debris on the front bumper like it was driven for more than 2,400 miles. Is there anyway the owner could have switched out the odometer or something? He seems like a good guy, but you never know in today's society. Thanks

Will-

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking at an 05 SY Lotus Elise in Orange County. The car seems fine and everything, but the mileage seems so low. It has like 2,400 miles on it and the guy said it was never tracked. There is however some wear from debris on the front bumper like it was driven for more than 2,400 miles. Is there anyway the owner could have switched out the odometer or something? He seems like a good guy, but you never know in today's society. Thanks

Will-
Assuming the ECU data hasn't been erased or that the ECU has been replaced, I don't believe it will give you miles but it does give you a good idea of total running hours.

BTW, depending on where you drive the car, you can get all kinds of 'debris' in various places in 100 miles.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
some of these cars don't make it home from the dealer without being damaged. 2,400 miles, especially is around town, could result in lots of scrapes, cracks, chips and broken bits.

·
Lotus Noobie
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright will do. thats weird how the mileage are not stored in the ECU like other vehicles. That way you can check if the mileage are matching with the speedometer. oh well. I hope for the best!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
alright will do. thats weird how the mileage are not stored in the ECU like other vehicles. That way you can check if the mileage are matching with the speedometer. oh well. I hope for the best!
If you buy the car, you'll soon come to realize that there's a lot of things that Lotus does differently than other vehicles. Just wait till you try to figure out the door locks... ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Stored in cluster for sure. Mine was replaced twice. Zero'ed-out the mileage each time. I kept the receipts for both stating actual 3000 miles to add onto current total because I'm nice that way.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm 99% certain no, they cannot adjust the odometer in the cluster. They can, however, write a statement on nice Lotus stationary indicating the actual mileage. You could keep this in the manual or have them write it in the notes section as well. Mother Lotus knows though. She always knows, with that weird Lotus-Modem they use.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm 99% certain no, they cannot adjust the odometer in the cluster. They can, however, write a statement on nice Lotus stationary indicating the actual mileage. You could keep this in the manual or have them write it in the notes section as well. Mother Lotus knows though. She always knows, with that weird Lotus-Modem they use.
rotflMother Lotus.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I take it there is no way for the dealer to electronically adjust the odometer in the cluster?
Yes, the mileage can be set in a new cluster. No, the dealer probably doesn't have the equipment to do the job.

There are a couple of other threads with info about places to send the cluster to have the correct mileage set in the cluster so that you don't have to have the sticker that indicates that the current odometer reading is not correct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ECU Does store mileage

I've replaced the ODO once. However, and you can see it if you use a program called torque, the ECU stores a value for the mileage it has collected. So the ODO says one thing and the ECU says another.

Dealer software pulls many more specific codes about use, % of time at various RPM and speed ranges over the life of the car, total hours the engine was on etc.

·
Registered
214 Posts
lotus isn't known for stellar paint. does it have starshield? if not its easily possible that you're getting an accurate account from the owner. These cars are so low to the ground they seem to collect more 'stuff' than other cars.
this is a 6 year old thread..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts