The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't miss watching this video, it's interesting. I still think the car is ugly and i highly doubt it would handle as good as a $50k elise.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
270mph theoretical max speed?.

And it shall remain that way. They probably put the car in a wind tunnel and realized it would be certain suicide to take it past 200.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Not a car I would like to own or even track, however I would love a ride in one!

My only other comment is that it is overpriced. That's a LOT of coin for car that started as a production Lotus Elise and has to be registered as such. No warranty, no crash data, no lots of things that are available in true exotics cars that can be had with far more engineering and prestige and for less coin. As they mentioned this thing is basically a highly tuned Lotus.
A hundred thousand, maybe even a few hundred thousand = reasonable.
A million = stupid ... why not 3 million?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Def not worth the price tag they put on it, but it's damn sweet. I'd agree that 200k would already be at the higher end for this car.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I had the 'pleasure' of seeing the yellow one up close and person at Pebble Beach last year and meeting the Hennessy folks. That's a separate story.

Maybe I just don't get automotive manufacturing, but if you look at cars at that price point - specifically, the Koenisgegg and the Pagani - you get a Koenigsegg or a Pagani - not a car based on another car. With the Venom, the body/chassis is another car (an Elise) and the engine is someone else's. Outside of some bits here and there and some body panels, what exactly IS Hennessy about this car?

If you look at a Pagani Zonda - yes, it has an AMG engine, but the car itself is all Pagani - the amazing custom/unique/bespoke/one of a kind body. The amazing carbon fibre body and chassis. The amazing carbon/aluminum interior. The ridiculous exhaust set up.

'Everything behind the seats' - really? Isn't it an LS9 engine?

I simply can't understand how this car is built off a bunch of other stuff and is $1M while a Pagani is almost all 100% bespoke and developed/engineered internally and is $1M.

To me, it's cheating.

As others noted, MAYBE $200K, but $1M?!?!?!

Take a Schwartz Performance Ultima GTR - with LS9 and similar performance - less than $100K. Add $20K for carbon and $10K for a fancy alcantara/carbon/leather interior and you've come something equally as exciting and more interesting looking for about $125K.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Started watching video:

'The ride quality is better than the Lotus'

I genuinely like Matt Farah, but we are talking about the comparison of a $50K car to a ONE MILLION dollar car? I'm thinking the ride quality should be a bit better. :)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Not a car I would like to own or even track, however I would love a ride in one!

My only other comment is that it is overpriced. That's a LOT of coin for car that started as a production Lotus Elise and has to be registered as such. No warranty, no crash data, no lots of things that are available in true exotics cars that can be had with far more engineering and prestige and for less coin. As they mentioned this thing is basically a highly tuned Lotus.
A hundred thousand, maybe even a few hundred thousand = reasonable.
A million = stupid ... why not 3 million?
Not to mention the depreciation. Yes, people who buy million dollar cars care about that. A Veyron, Zonda or Agera carries a panache. They will undoubtedly INCREASE in value over time and will be collectibles. This won't.

Again, regardless of the performance, I simply cannot see how this car can be priced at this point. It is LITERALLY priced $600K plus heavy.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Well its not as overpriced as say a dyson vacuum. There really is a lot of engineering in the bodywork subframes etc. I think about 350 k might be reasonable. I wonder how the ac copes with 1200 hp of coolant through the sils and how big of a pothole would bend the front a arm pickups with those giant tires out so far

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
668 Posts
i know a lot of people don't like it... :) i like it, a lot. I can not say i hate it, (it looks too much like my car, well to me, 60% of it does :) from outside. I know hennessey says other wise, but my wife wouldn't notice the difference :)

- i look at it this way.

If i can drop my car off to TJ and to a body shop, and gave them 30,000 $ to make it look like this. and only have 500hp. i would do it tomorrow. But for 1 million... no way.

few things i like.
front clam
love the bigger tires and rims
and like that it is wider and longer. ( i don't think ladies would walk up to it and say " ohhh its soooo cute" )

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You have to give hennessey credit for making the best looking body kit ever imagined for the elige. It is beautiful! And it might cost a million, but they are selling.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
You have to give hennessey credit for making the best looking body kit ever imagined for the elige. It is beautiful! And it might cost a million, but they are selling.
Are they?

They've made 6. From what I can tell, they've sold 2 - the yellow one that was at Pebble Beach (to a Florida guy) and Steven Tyler.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I agree, overpriced, especially considering how cheap the donor chassis is. There is a ton of engineering, and I'm sure the alllllll CF bodywork costs a fortune. But you can't tell me the motor setup is THAT expensive (I'm sure it's not cheap, but c'mon you can get a twin turbo z06 way cheaper and he'll probably get you similar numbers). I think he just has to charge that much to cover the massive R&D costs, and I will also say to cover his ass...

a LOT more people can afford the car at 350k than 1 million..at 1 million it becomes uber exclusive, to where people might consider the quirks not such a big deal, and you won't have such liability with *as many* retards hitting 145 on an onramp to the 405...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
cool car, but certainly not worth the cost (as everyone else said)

& even if $ wasnt an issue, I would never buy a Hennessy product after the terrible stories I have heard about them

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I wonder if Ronin is just a bit pissed; last season Matt Farah said Ronin's Lotus was the fastest and most mental car he had ever driven. Farah drives the Venom and declares it is the fastest shortly thereafter. Somehow I suspect Ronin's would stick to the curves better.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Outside of some bits here and there and some body panels, what exactly IS Hennessy about this car?

To me, it's cheating.

I get this question; I really do. It is sort of like photoshopping.... you get the perfect model, in the perfect pose, cut and paste her into the perfect scene with the perfect sunset.... create an apparent, if not true, work of art...... and for people like me, who cannot draw an anatomically correct stick figure, photo shop is about as close to art as I can possibly get!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dude i know how this car came to exist.

One night, Hennessey was wasted on whiskey and cocaine with his buddies and started ranting:

"You know what would be fuc-ing awesome??, to put a corvette engine in an elise!!!"

His buddies cheered "Yeaah!"

Then he told his artist intern to have a concept for him by tomorrow. He quickly did it with a mad hangover and voila!, Venom GT

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
"You know what would be fuc-ing awesome??, to put a corvette engine in an elise!!!"
In there defence it is a good Idea.

In the last round of comments on the venom, i sudgested that a boosted v6 with a mild stretch and widening would make for a better overall car.

I guess lotus has more or less done this in the new S.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts