The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Painted and styled much like the JCW Countryman we saw in Geneva, MINI has announced its John Cooper Works GP today.

As the fastest MINI ever built, the JCW GP will go on sale later this year in a run limited to 2,000 units worldwide. This is the second time the company has offered such a car, but this version is by far better than the last, lapping the Nurburgring a whole 19 seconds faster for a brand-best time of eight minutes and 23 seconds.

To give that number some context, it’s faster than a BMW 335i Coupe (8:26) or the BMW E36 M3 (8:22), showing just how potent a package the new MINI JCW GP is.

Final performance figures aren’t available yet, but the company says they will easily best the previous 214-hp that the MINI Cooper S with a full John Cooper Works package had on tap.

What we do know is that the new JCW GP comes with a full body aero kit including a front lip, side skirts, rear diffuser and a carbon fiber rear spoiler. It also gets an exclusive powertrain, new brakes and a special chassis meant for track handling, which is complimented by the bespoke sport tires meant for increasing grip during performance driving.

Expect more details on the limited edition MINI JCW GP in the near future as its release approaches.
See all the MINI JCW GP photos at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
736 Posts
Damn that's quick for a MINI. Nineteen seconds faster than the last GP version? Wonder what the final performance specs are. Loved my '02 Cooper'S'. Wouldn't mind another. This would be a nice addition. MINI needs to step up their performance on their cars, IMO, over and above a limited production model like this. It's been the same 210hp-ish rating for the past 10 years for the JCW versions. Even their Countryman and Clubman haven't received a boost from that and they're bigger and heavier than the rest of the line up.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Owned a 2005 JCW Cooper S and now a 2010. I think the power is about right for a FWD car like the Mini. Much more would really introduce more torque steer and would limit the amount of power it can put down. I would rather they make the cars lighter with the same power and better suspension systmes for the JCW I would have loved to have my car at around 2500 Lbs versus the 2700+ now.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Is every 'tuned' version of a production car done in matte black with red accents now?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i'm sure people will love the more than likely $40k+ price tag, too.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
i'm sure people will love the more than likely $40k+ price tag, too.
That's just what I was thinking as well. I'm starting to question the actual value of all this "performance" when almost no one really uses it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
$40K CDN would be just fine up here. Paid that for my Cooper'S'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts