The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040921_1478.html

WABASHA, Minn. Sept. 21, 2004 — With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.
On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

Information from: St. Paul Pioneer Press, www.twincities.com

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
James A said:
My gosh what do you think the fine is?
Reckless Driving is a criminal offense (Misdemeanor). License suspension if not revocation :huh: Money fine is the least of it. Lawyers fees will hurt the pocket the most.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1FASTMX5 said:
Reckless Driving is a criminal offense (Misdemeanor). License suspension if not revocation :huh: Money fine is the least of it. Lawyers fees will hurt the pocket the most.
If the kid were smart, he cash in on his 15 minutes of celebrity status to help offset the legal fees. :p Hey, don't laugh. It' got the Star Wars kid an IPOD. :D

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I've heard that your perception changes at about 160 mph. I wonder what it's like to go 205 mph on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I highly doubt he will be convicted on the 205mph number. The method used is highly inacurate and the Honda 1000 does not go that fast anyhow. Even with mods it aint going that fast. There are only a very few turbo or select bikes that can hit that speed. Who's to say the cop wasnt of with his stop watch..even by 1 second would be alot. And how good can it be to be looking down at a fast moving target and know when it passes lines or hits 1/4 mile. Theres alot for the lawyer to work with but i doubt he can beat the reckless driving rap

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
I highly doubt he will be convicted on the 205mph number. The method used is highly inacurate and the Honda 1000 does not go that fast anyhow. Even with mods it aint going that fast. There are only a very few turbo or select bikes that can hit that speed.
Indeed, the one big thing about the first 'bsa was that it could do 187, a whole 1 mph faster than the record for production bike. North of 160-70'ish you're in sparse company.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I agree with OFL... a good lawyer will get it to reckless driving, loss of license, and I'm 50/50 on the jail time. The "stopwatch" method is pretty inaccurate and any lawyer just needs to ask if the pilot's thumb was "calibrated" to be consistent. Obviously it isn't, so it's impossible to ascertain an exact speed. But I'm sure the ground unit caught him at 100 mph on the "certified speedometer" in the patrol unit. That can be used as evidence...

Bob

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
awesome!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
I highly doubt he will be convicted on the 205mph number. The method used is highly inacurate and the Honda 1000 does not go that fast anyhow.
Agreed!

The Honda CBR 1000RR cannot reach these speeds!

An indicated 185 (actual 178) is more realistic. Even with mods, I doubt that he did more than 185.

Not to downplay that speed....still incredibly fast!

Sounds like the young man was dressed for the occasion and it's probably not the first time he's done this....just the first time he's been caught.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sorry 1FastMX5... I should have been more careful in quoting or agreeing with your post. No offense, but I'm sure OFM's legs might be more attractive than yours! :p

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
rtking said:
Sorry 1FastMX5... I should have been more careful in quoting or agreeing with your post. No offense, but I'm sure OFM's legs might be more attractive than yours! :p
LoL no offence taken..its been pretty common mistake actually ....and I'm sure you are right :D

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Of course, he didn't need it the FIRST time, so why will it make any difference if they tell him he can't have one now? He'll be out there again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts