The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Minnesota owners, where and what octane gas are you buying for your Elise and Exige? Your opinions and words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Minnesota owners, where and what octane gas are you buying for your Elise and Exige? Your opinions and words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated :)
I've never found anything above 92 octane, except when at the track. Various stations around The Cities and Rochester carry 92. I don't have a retailer preference.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Plenty of choices for premium around the cities. Roaming into the surrounding wilderness might force you to choose 89 or nothing, but I've not had a problem. Almost ran out once on the way back from Duluth once ... the fuel capacity limits range more than many cars, and the black bars don't respond to perspective changes or tapping like a regular fuel gauge.

It is well-known that tapping on the fuel gauge can magically cause range to be extended, isn't it? And the same thing when using parallax to make the gauge needle appear to be on the full side of 'E', right? ;)

Someone wrote something on Elisetalk somewhere sometime about the tank pickup being on the driver's side of the car, so when the car is parked tilted to the passenger side slightly it may not start if the tank is less than 1/8 full. Not sure if I have that right, as accurate as I make it sound :)rolleyes:). Better do a search.

Someone also wrote something sometime about how much the car has left when zero black bars are displayed. This surely must vary by individual cars. You must do your own Seinfeld-like test. I hear it produces euphoria, although maybe just on test drives.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Plenty of choices for premium around the cities. Roaming into the surrounding wilderness might force you to choose 89 or nothing, but I've not had a problem. Almost ran out once on the way back from Duluth once ... the fuel capacity limits range more than many cars, and the black bars don't respond to perspective changes or tapping like a regular fuel gauge.

It is well-known that tapping on the fuel gauge can magically cause range to be extended, isn't it? And the same thing when using parallax to make the gauge needle appear to be on the full side of 'E', right? ;)

Someone wrote something on Elisetalk somewhere sometime about the tank pickup being on the driver's side of the car, so when the car is parked tilted to the passenger side slightly it may not start if the tank is less than 1/8 full. Not sure if I have that right, as accurate as I make it sound :)rolleyes:). Better do a search.

Someone also wrote something sometime about how much the car has left when zero black bars are displayed. This surely must vary by individual cars. You must do your own Seinfeld-like test. I hear it produces euphoria, although maybe just on test drives.
I'm not sure why anyone would let this car get that low on the road (track = another story). I went from Rochester to Maple Grove and back and still had more than a 1/4 tank indicated. That's going 80 mph, too (actual, not indicated.)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would let this car get that low on the road.
One of the following ...

1. Horrible negligence
2. Absentmindedness
3. The bottom half of the tank goes faster than the top half.
4. I wanted that sweet euphoria that comes from dodging the "ran out of gas" bullet
5. It was raining
6. It was uphill both ways
7. I was distracted by the rocking stereo
8. Maybe I didn't start with a full tank. I have been accused of this even when not driving a car. ;)

I'm not sure what your Rochester-Maple Grove round trip example is supposed to demonstrate. I have taken other trips to Duluth where I didn't almost run out of gas. And I haven't run out of gas on trips to Rochester.

I think what you're saying is that the car is capable of longer trips without fillups or getting dangerously close to empty. Is this right? If so, I agree with you there.

Found this thread from long ago, for another odd gasoline experience:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13859

What you might gather from all of this is that I'm an unreliable source on this topic.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I'm not sure what your Rochester-Maple Grove round trip example is supposed to demonstrate. I have taken other trips to Duluth where I didn't almost run out of gas. And I haven't run out of gas on trips to Rochester.

I think what you're saying is that the car is capable of longer trips without fillups or getting dangerously close to empty. Is this right? If so, I agree with you there.
Yeah, that's about it. Basically, I can't imagine ignoring the gas guage for that long. I've had other vehicles that suck gas so fast, that it was easy to forget about it long enough to almost run out of gas unknowingly.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I can't believe for a second that these Toyota lumps are that picky. Just get whatever premium gas is available at your corner gas station and drive. I'm sure it will run.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been using Shell "V-Power" in north Iowa, probably available in Minnesota too.

Randy

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3NNYsv8n5I

·
Registered
528 Posts
Holiday's and SuperAmerica's premium grades are consistently 92 octane, (R+M)/2, and they're everywhere.

There are a number of stations around the metro that carry Non-Oxygenated fuel (premium only) and/or racing gas.

The Shell station in Wayzata has Non-Ox Premium for specialty cars... the price is premium as well. There's a label on the pump warning that the fuel is for use in vintage and specialty cars only and that there are penalties for using it in ordinary road cars. I don't think you would have any trouble convincing someone that a Lotus is a Specialty car.

The SuperAmerica in Mound has an extra pump out next to the north sidewalk for high octane racing fuel. You usually see 60's muscle cars filling up there. The price is w-a-y high and I can't see any Lotus really benefiting from the 100+ octane.

Stretching my memory here, but there used to be a station in Bloomington that carried racing fuel. ?? I think it was an Erickson station (some convenience store sort of gas station) on Nicollet, east side of the road around 86th or so?? Does that ring a bell with anyone?

If you have any hotrod buddies, ask them where the good gas is. Those clubs usually have the non-Ox & race fuel stations scoped out.

Regards,
Tim Engel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts