The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at a stop light minding my own business and the F-150 in front of me decides to back up so he can go into the next lane. Unfortunately my car happened to be right behind him. Damage wasn't too bad (at least from what I can tell). One crack from the point of impact and then some stress cracks in the paint. I'm being optimistic and thinking that it could have been a lot worse. I about dropped a deuce in pants when I saw him backing up on top of me. I was thinking that the entire front clam was toast.

Anyone have any experience with a claim filed with The Hartford? I know they're a pretty big insurance company but it doesn't look like one of their body shops is SCC. I really don't want to take it to some hack shop that doesn't work with fiberglass....

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Relax, you're in CA, the law gives you the right to take the car to any shop you want, you don't have to select one from the insurer's list!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would guess from those pics that your front clam will need to be replaced. I certainly would not want mine repaired with that much damage. Those stress cracks will only get bigger with time...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would guess from those pics that your front clam will need to be replaced. I certainly would not want mine repaired with that much damage. Those stress cracks will only get bigger with time...
Not what I wanted to hear. I'm hoping that those cracks are only in the paint. He was only going 3 or 4mph at the most when he backed into me from 4 or 5 ft away. Guess I'll find out for sure when I take it in :(

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Not what I wanted to hear. I'm hoping that those cracks are only in the paint. He was only going 3 or 4mph at the most when he backed into me from 4 or 5 ft away. Guess I'll find out for sure when I take it in :(
anything "could" be repaired. but if you are taking it to a shop the labor to fix (to high level) would be about the same as new - i say you are looking at a new clam .

i think once you see the back side you will be suprised and want a new clam - probably a fair amount of destruction, just that most of it has returned back to position. and you will want new.

since the elise clam is injection modled, not matt - replacement is prefered.

fyi - the entire clam , front and rear, IS the "bumper"

probably around 9-11k depending... blending the lotus metalics / and or matching metallics at adjoinging panels seems to not be an easy thing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went out to the garage this morning to take a look at it and there is a crack under the passenger headlight as well as damage under the car.

I just got off the phone with my insurance and then made another call the SCC. Those guys rock. I asked for the run down as far as having the clam replaced and not patch. He gave me all the details of what takes place when they replace the clam.

Anyone have any luck with diminished value here in California? I'm not one of those guys that tries to milk an insurance company out of every dollar on a claim but when it comes to this car, I feel that they should provide some compensation due to the drop in value (especially with CarFax reports being so common).

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't think the term minor accident can realy be used with these cars. Looks like a new clam is in order. I'm sorry this happened to you. Good thing is it will be his insurance paying, so stick to your guns and make sure it gets fixed right. Also make sure you document everything well so any future buyer can see that it was indeed minor and didn't involve the crash structure or suspension bits.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
persoanlly, i don't think a clam replacement represents dimished value - if its all new parts, done to a high standard.... its probably equal to or better than new ;) however if the work is not done to a high standard and there are visible issues... then that would effect resale and value. i think in your case its going to be a matter of getting a good color/metallic match, and quality finish, factory starshield, etc... if all that goes well, i see no dimished value, imo.

no idea how that works in cali or what your ability to get that are. i would hold the shops feet to the fire on doing quality work - no skimpping or cutting corners - inspect it in eve, overcast, and full sun for match. check that the paint texture finish matches as well - well... at least... like factory ...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
persoanlly, i don't think a clam replacement represents dimished value - if its all new parts, done to a high standard.... its probably equal to or better than new ;) however if the work is not done to a high standard and there are visible issues... then that would effect resale and value. i think in your case its going to be a matter of getting a good color/metallic match, and quality finish, factory starshield, etc... if all that goes well, i see no dimished value, imo.

no idea how that works in cali or what your ability to get that are. i would hold the shops feet to the fire on doing quality work - no skimpping or cutting corners - inspect it in eve, overcast, and full sun for match. check that the paint texture finish matches as well - well... at least... like factory ...
SCC is a premier auto shop here in Socal coming highly recommended by a lot of people here (and other forums). Fortunately, their area of expertise is exotic cars. When I spoke with the shop manager this morning, he gave me the detailed run down on what gets replaced and said he even has several front clams in stock so the downtime is minimal.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'd definitely take it to SCC. They do amazing work and do it quick...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd definitely take it to SCC. They do amazing work and do it quick...
Yeah, there was no doubt. Everyone here speaks so highly of them so I called them first thing in the morning. I spoke with the office manager and he gave me all the details. A couple of hours later the owner of the shop actually called me to make sure all my questions were answered, to set up an appointment to bring the car in and to let me know that he's already spoken with an adjuster. I'm sure their work will exceed their customer service. Any doubts that I had about taking this car anywhere have definitely been alleviated. I will be posting pictures after they're finished.

BTW, the owner says that they've done accident repair on 160+ Lotus Elise/Exige since they've been out -eek- A 130ish of them have been Elises. I know I'm in good hands :)

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I had a similar incident. Don't be surprised if they find that the crash structure needs replacing too.

xtn

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Sorry about the accident. As long as the other party pays the bill ( I assume the clam relpaced and paint etc) it will be approx. $10000! That ain't no minor accident with the repair (labor and parts)!

I dread that particular situation at a traffic light. Pickup trucks will NEVER see you because the Lotus is well below the tailgate! I NEVER get close to a car and leave enough room to see the driver's eyes in the rear view mirrors.

Good luck, you're Lotus will be back on the road soon...

-Hal

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...you won't know for certain about the front crash structure and internal components until you pull the front clam, but i suggest that you pursue a diminished value claim, regardless - right or wrong, it's not uncommon for people to blacklist any cars which have been involved in a collision, under the presumption that there might be hidden frame damage...

...if you plan on keeping her for posterity, though, i bet you're only looking at clam damage - have the crash structure checked out, but your damage looks pretty limited in scope...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Made the other party pay for a new clam and don't settle for less. What did the truck do when you laid on the horn or was it too late?

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
I always leave a car length or two when I'm behind taller vehicles.
my rule: if you can see their rear view mirror, they can see you (if they car to look).

sorry about your damage, hope you get back out on the road soon

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I always leave a car length or two when I'm behind taller vehicles.
my rule: if you can see their rear view mirror, they can see you (if they car to look).

sorry about your damage, hope you get back out on the road soon
After all the stories I've read on here I've gotten a bit more cautious about distance I leave too. Not sure if it would actually help vs someone that's determined to be oblivious though. :shrug:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I do feel your pain. I got backed into by a Hertz rental car (Prius) a few days ago. I also need to replace the front clam.
Unfortunately, Hertz is giving me a hard time about this. Today, Hertz rep said, "What? Lotus? What's that? Who makes that car?" :wallbang:
Rep told me that they have to investigate this first but she won't tell me how long this would take. Ugggg...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts